Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Simmons dealt to Angels for two top pitchers, Aybar

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    Ryan McMahon of the Rockies is the 3b I'd target. He's blocked by Arenado and is pegged as a future gold glover and middle of the order bat. The Rockies need pitching as always so I'm sure we would match up well on a deal. He should be ready to start 2017.
    Seems like the only teams willing to trade impact position players is Atlanta

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

bravesnumberone (11-13-2015), FreemanFan (11-12-2015), holden (11-13-2015), Hudson2 (11-12-2015), jpx7 (11-13-2015), Metaphysicist (11-13-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    But we'll get them with our surplus of pitching.
    At least they spent most of the offseason trying to leverage other teams and get the best possible deal... I'm just happy they didn't rush to make a deal

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    With the game the way it is today, if I have a player blocked at a position, and the blocked player has middle order/gold glove potential,I'm moving that player somewhere in the field. You can't buy offense
    Agree. But I like the idea. Maybe you trade the Ruiz so they still have a back up plan at 3b if we can lower the quality of pitcher we need to send back.

But the folks in charge like their guys. So Riley and Ruiz are prob penciled in at 3b

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Without going into great detail (will be glad to elaborate later), I calculate Simmons' expected surplus value for the life of his contract at 6-7 WAR. Various studies that have evaluated the surplus value of prospects suggest the expected surplus value of what we are getting back is in a similar range. Of course the way in which this surplus value is likely to be distributed by year differs quite a bit on the two sides of the deal, which is why both teams found it in their interest to do the deal. There is more upside (and uncertainty) with what we are getting back (basically Newcomb). His control issues worry me some but in a perfect universe he could end up being a Randy Johnson type pitcher. The one thing that nags at me a little is I don't think Simmons is the finished product as a hitter. I've seen his hitting approach evolve quite a bit and I thought he showed some progress last year.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 11-12-2015 at 11:02 PM.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

holden (11-13-2015), jpx7 (11-13-2015), Runnin (11-12-2015), The Chosen One (11-12-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    The deal in a vacuum is fine. We're not competing for 3-4 years so might as well deal Simmons now. We got some high upside back (finally).

But the deal in context makes less sense. We are not going to spend money on offense. And we have FEW assets to trade to acquire offense. And yet, time after time, we keep using them for more pitching. The FO has gone overboard with a pitching craze.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    You know what I mean. Sean is the only prospect we have gotten back since the start of last off season that would be considered top shelf. Most of the criticism of the trades is that we went with quantity instead of quality.
    No I don't. What it seems like you mean is the only guy worth mentioning was Sean. Get real, you have no idea if that's true or not. Please don't act like its a fact.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    I heard the deal go down just before I stopped off to see Spectre, so after having a couple hours to mull over the trade (and watch Craig kick ass), I'm not overly against it.

Originally, I wanted to destroy everything in site - as did 90% of this board - but I do like what I see with both of these guys and it sounds like with Aybar, we will either get a solid SS for a year (maybe extend) or at least get something in return.

IF it was not for the Olivera trade, I am on board with all of this completely. That trade is the one thing I just don't understand... if we have Peraza and Wood still, this farm is just insane and our rotation pretty much set!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to UNCBlue012 For This Useful Post:

Hudson2 (11-12-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,739 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    The deal in a vacuum is fine. We're not competing for 3-4 years so might as well deal Simmons now. We got some high upside back (finally).

But the deal in context makes less sense. We are not going to spend money on offense. And we have FEW assets to trade to acquire offense. And yet, time after time, we keep using them for more pitching. The FO has gone overboard with a pitching craze.

Okay but did we really lose any offense from this trade? We already have Albies who should be an offensive improvement at SS when he gets to Atlanta. The outfield corners look set for the next 3 years with Markakis and Olivera. Mallex is a quality CF prospect with significant time at AAA already. We have Maybin with a cheap option for 2015. Peterson should improve at 2B. Freeman is coming into his prime. I think Newcomb will be in our rotation before the end of the year and if he shows promise it will be easier to trade other pitching.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    Okay but did we really lose any offense from this trade? We already have Albies who should be an offensive improvement at SS when he gets to Atlanta. The outfield corners look set for the next 3 years with Markakis and Olivera. Mallex is a quality CF prospect with significant time at AAA already. We have Maybin with a cheap option for 2015. Peterson should improve at 2B. Freeman is coming into his prime. I think Newcomb will be in our rotation before the end of the year and if he shows promise it will be easier to trade other pitching.
    We didn't lose an offensive, but we lost arguably our best asset to acquire any.

The only sure thing we have on offense is Freeman, and if I were him, I'd contemplate even showing up. The Braves bought out his prime years only to tear down the team to what will likely be 4-5 years of awfulness.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

DirkPiggler (11-13-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts

The only sure thing we have on offense is Freeman, and if I were him, I'd contemplate even showing up. The Braves bought out his prime years only to tear down the team to what will likely be 4-5 years of awfulness.
    Wow
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Wow
    Wow what? You think Freeman's not pissed off?

He'd have been a free agent after this upcoming miserable season. I'm sure he's regretting this extension.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,494 Posts
    Wow what? You think Freeman's not pissed off?

He'd have been a free agent after this upcoming miserable season. I'm sure he's regretting this extension.
    I am not regretting my $130+ million

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    No I don't. What it seems like you mean is the only guy worth mentioning was Sean. Get real, you have no idea if that's true or not. Please don't act like its a fact.
    Aybar is a place holder/trade bait and Ellis is filler imo. Sean is the headliner and only player of real importance here. And the only true impact prospect we have acquired since we started unloading players.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    I am not regretting my $130+ million
    Sure. But he would have gotten more then that and had his pick of contending teams. While it's a different FO the Braves still sold him on something that isn't the case anymore.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    Did we lose offense? Not really. But as sturg said we did lose assests to acquire more hitting and also created another hole among our position players. Hopefully Albies can fill that but it's no guarantee. And even if he is a better hitter I doubt he will be a better player. 3-4 WAR players aren't that easily replaceable.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    Aybar is a place holder/trade bait and Ellis is filler imo. Sean is the headliner and only player of real importance here. And the only true impact prospect we have acquired since we started unloading players.
    Filler? That isn't accurate. He isn't a top 50 prospect, but dude has some value.
    I'm sincerely hoping we do trade Aybar, if we get a decent return it definitely helps this trade.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    I'm mostly fine with this deal. As a few others have mentioned, I'm not totally against all of this if the Olivera deal didn't happen. He's going to be 33-35 years old before we start competing. What's the point of that?

Mark Simon from ESPN tweeted something yesterday pointing out that two years ago we won 96 games with the youngest average age of position players and third youngest average age for starting pitchers. Now here we are. I guess I'm mostly just confused about how all of this happened. We went from the future looking bright two years ago while winning big to now hoping the future is bright years down the road.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    When the Simmons rumors started, most people were in the camp of "I'm ok with trading him, as long as it's a clear win for the Braves"

I think this deal is probably a fair value... but it's not a slam dunk deal for us to have made. And we made it really early. Simmons wasn't going anywhere

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

bravesnumberone (11-13-2015), jpx7 (11-13-2015)

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,762 Posts
    The drop off from Simmons to Aybar will be like Furcal to "sure handed" Renteria and Heyward to "Good Glove" Markakis.
    Forever Fredi

25. The Following User Says Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

Metaphysicist (11-13-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    I'm mostly fine with this deal. As a few others have mentioned, I'm not totally against all of this if the Olivera deal didn't happen. He's going to be 33-35 years old before we start competing. What's the point of that?

Mark Simon from ESPN tweeted something yesterday pointing out that two years ago we won 96 games with the youngest average age of position players and third youngest average age for starting pitchers. Now here we are. I guess I'm mostly just confused about how all of this happened. We went from the future looking bright two years ago while winning big to now hoping the future is bright years down the road.
    Like I said, I've never seen a sports organization trade away so much young talent in my entire life. Just baffling how different the team looks from just 2 years ago.

And agreed - the Olivera deal was the most inexplicable trade I can remember

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

bravesnumberone (11-13-2015), jpx7 (11-13-2015)