Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Simmons dealt to Angels for two top pitchers, Aybar

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomabrave View Post
    Filler? That isn't accurate. He isn't a top 50 prospect, but dude has some value.
    I'm sincerely hoping we do trade Aybar, if we get a decent return it definitely helps this trade.
    Value that likely translates to the bullpen. He isn't a scrub but he's just another cog in the large quantity of players that our farm now has which is what I was talking about. Sean is the headliner and the best prospect we have traded for thus far.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    If Aybar is flipped and Maybin is traded we'll have between 40-45 million to spend. No way they sit on all of that. Say they spend it all, what do they use it on?

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    If Aybar is flipped and Maybin is traded we'll have between 40-45 million to spend. No way they sit on all of that. Say they spend it all, what do they use it on?
    A ham sandwich

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Probably take on a bad contract so we can get another decent pitching prospect

5. The Following User Says Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

bravesnumberone (11-13-2015)

Playing the Waiting Game blueagleace1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    I asked the "hypothetical" question earlier:

Could they trade Aybar for quality bullpen piece(s) and B prospect, then sign Desmond to play SS until Albies is ready then have Desmond slide over to 3B or 2B?
    "Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon"

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blueagleace1 View Post
    I asked the "hypothetical" question earlier:

Could they trade Aybar for quality bullpen piece(s) and B prospect, then sign Desmond to play SS until Albies is ready then have Desmond slide over to 3B or 2B?
    no the FO doesnt care about winning so.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Desmond could be interesting depending on the price. 3b is still a problem and possibly C. Lucroy would be a good pickup with all of this young pitching and try to extend him. Murphy at 3b?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,494 Posts
    I've said it before. If I am an impact free agent, I am not signing here unless they offer the most money and that is all I care about. So to be desirable again we will need to give out stupid contracts to a few lucky people

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,739 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Did we lose offense? Not really. But as sturg said we did lose assests to acquire more hitting and also created another hole among our position players. Hopefully Albies can fill that but it's no guarantee. And even if he is a better hitter I doubt he will be a better player. 3-4 WAR players aren't that easily replaceable.
    Newcomb isnt exactly chopped liver. He could be traded for a bat or having him could allow us to trade someone else for a bat. Projecting out to 2017 I think we are still on course to be competitive. I think Albies spends considerable time at AA and is the starting SS in 2017. Olivera/Maybin/Markakis/Mallex is a solid outfield. Freeman is entering his prime and I still think has breakout potential. Jace I think will improve to being around average with the bat. The rotation and bullpen should be over flowing with arms by this point and some could be used in trades. Teams really like ML ready talent. We might have to settle for some rentals but we should have the farm system to do it. We could bring in 2 rentals like Lucroy and Frazier. Point is with the type of pitching we will likely have we wont need more than an average offense to win a lot of games.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    211 Posts
    more SP's.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    No we won't be.

If we do those 2 we'll be at approx 60M before arby. Which probably won't be more than 10M if we offer everyone (including Minor) arby. So we only have to spend about 15M to reach our minimum and that would be covered pretty easily if we get Rollins and someone else.

Now I wish they'd go gungho and get Price or Heyward, BUT doubt that we will.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts
    To build a rotation like the Mets, you actually need good pitching prospects.

For all of our wheeling and dealing.. which of our pitching prospects are actually safe bets? Newcomb?

We turned valuable assets into a few lottery tickets. That's really disappointing. And our offense is getting worse by the day.

Maybe there's a plan in place.. but it's a bad one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    We didn't lose any offense with Simmons. But Zito we had 25-30 million available this offseason. Minor won't be tendered a contract. Take off Maybin and Aybars 8 million each and that possibly 46 million. Subtract AJ's 3 million and arb raises and we'll say 35 would be available. That's still plenty for 2 good quality upgrades

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,494 Posts
    http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/14...de-erick-aybar

In the article Coppy says that all 3 players we got could impact the 2016 team. Also mentioned that Newcomb is comparable to David price....

The bull**** flows like a river doesn't it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,739 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by holden View Post
    To build a rotation like the Mets, you actually need good pitching prospects.

For all of our wheeling and dealing.. which of our pitching prospects are actually safe bets? Newcomb?

We turned valuable assets into a few lottery tickets. That's really disappointing. And our offense is getting worse by the day.

Maybe there's a plan in place.. but it's a bad one.

Wut? The Mets pitchers werent exactly safe bets either. Harvey's stock was like a roller coaster. He was the favorite to go #1 overall going into his senior year. Had injury problems. Went to college and was great his first year, **** his second, and good his third year. Gets drafted mid first round and wasnt exactly lights out in the minors. Gets to the majors and blows up in a good way. Then has TJ surgery. Syndergaard was aquired in a trade of propular player and reigning Cy Young RA Dickey. Thor and Newcomb are pretty similar prospects at the time of the trade. DeGrom was a 9th round pick converted catcher. He was a marginal prospect who put up a ERA over 4 in 2013 in his first trip through the high minors. Wheeler was acquired in the Beltran trade.

Every trade for prospects is a trade for lottery tickets. Thats how this game works. Sometimes you hit the jackpot sometimes you dont. We dont need to hit on all of them. Out of all the pitching prospects if one turns into Kershaw and another into Bumgarner and the rest are at best good relievers or AAAA starters thats still a success. There are very little sure things in baseball. I prefer to go with upside and we have a **** load of it.

It’s over."

17. The Following User Says Thank You to cajunrevenge For This Useful Post:

mfree80 (11-13-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Newcomb is a lefty and throws mid 90's that's probably alot of the comparison. Price has always had pretty good control. If Newcomb can cut down a little on the walks he will be a stud #1 pitcher.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,739 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/14...de-erick-aybar

In the article Coppy says that all 3 players we got could impact the 2016 team. Also mentioned that Newcomb is comparable to David price....

The bull**** flows like a river doesn't it?
    Its not that hard to see. Price is lefty 6-6 220 and Newcomb is 6-5 240. Newcomb projects to be a 220-240 IP workhorse like Price. Newcomb's stuff isnt that far behind Price's if at all. Newcomb just lags behind in command of his stuff and thats something the Braves think will improve with more experience. Ellis could make a good reliever soon as well.

It’s over."

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    Its not that hard to see. Price is lefty 6-6 220 and Newcomb is 6-5 240. Newcomb projects to be a 220-240 IP workhorse like Price. Newcomb's stuff isnt that far behind Price's if at all. Newcomb just lags behind in command of his stuff and thats something the Braves think will improve with more experience. Ellis could make a good reliever soon as well.
    Now wait just a damnnn minute.. I thought we were supposed to stop the server with all of the bytching and hand-wringing. I'm confused. Truth be told, I'm stoked about Newcomb. Our system is POTENTIALLY lights out. We couldn't have said that a year ago. Sims was our best. Says a lot that he's being pushed WAAAAYYY down the prospect list.

NOW, go get me some bats!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Deester11 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (11-13-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,739 Posts
    I think we have the prospects to go out and get Frazier and Lucroy right now without gutting the farm system if we wanted to.

It’s over."

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts

There is no reason to just go spend it. I would rather offer 2 1 year 20 million dollar deals to 2 players than lock up **** players making 11 for 4 years etc
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

24. The Following User Says Thank You to goldfly For This Useful Post:

bravesnumberone (11-13-2015)