Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AFL Result, Friday, October 27; TWO Acuna homers

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    I see the time stamp; but just to clarify, Riley hit a hr today?
    Indeed
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,703 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Fried has to start the season in the rotation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    No doubt. I think that's going to be the plan. Spend all money on a stud relief pitcher. You will be able to trade him at the deadline if the team isn't competing for a WC.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,130 Posts
    Fried needed to be in the rotation before he went to the AFL. Soroka and Allard will be knocking on the door by the trade deadline, and Wright may be in the picture as well. The Braves need to use the first half of 2018 to determine if Fried and Sims belong in the rotation (we already know Gohara does).

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

weso1 (10-28-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,703 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Fried needed to be in the rotation before he went to the AFL. Soroka and Allard will be knocking on the door by the trade deadline, and Wright may be in the picture as well. The Braves need to use the first half of 2018 to determine if Fried and Sims belong in the rotation (we already know Gohara does).
    You certainly called fried to start next season a long time ago. Hopefully this performance in the AFL will kick start him next season

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,130 Posts
    You certainly called fried to start next season a long time ago. Hopefully this performance in the AFL will kick start him next season
    I still think Fried is a Justin Nicolino or Mike Montgomery type of pitcher out of the BP, but the Braves need to find out for sure.

If his change really has progressed to average, he has a chance to start. The walks obviously need to come down too. By the time Soroka, Allard or Wright are ready the Braves should know which of Sims, Newk or Fried need to be shifted to the pen.

Sims change is very underrated, and may be his ticket to sticking in the rotation. Odd thing is I never heard anyone say anything about it while he was a prospect, but it is pretty easily his best pitch.

At the end of the day I imagine Newk will stick as an Oliver Perez type BP arm or a frustratingly wild Jonathan Sanchez type #4, and Sims ends up as a AAAA guy or mop up BP arm.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 10-28-2017 at 07:51 PM.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Time to bring him home and let this success percolate until spring. Not much left to prove.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (10-29-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Time to bring him home and let this success percolate until spring. Not much left to prove.
    Fried didn't go to the AFL to prove anything. He went there to get his inning count up to the ~140 range a year after increasing to ~100 so he's on track to increase his workload to ~180 next year.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (10-29-2017), JohnAdcox (10-29-2017)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    Fried didn't go to the AFL to prove anything. He went there to get his inning count up to the ~140 range a year after increasing to ~100 so he's on track to increase his workload to ~180 next year.
    And probably work on command/ change up

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Oklahomabrave For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (10-29-2017)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    This in a nutshell! The Braves neef to bolster the BP and see what our youngsters can do! 2019 is really the year I'm looking for the Braves to really start being competitive!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay212033 View Post
    This in a nutshell! The Braves neef to bolster the BP and see what our youngsters can do! 2019 is really the year I'm looking for the Braves to really start being competitive!
    I don't see another area on the team that can't be improved internally more effectively. To me it's a waste to spend money or prospect currency to improve third or starting pitching with an external option.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    No way we can give Newk, Folty, Fried and Gohora time to prove anything if we add another starting pitcher. For better or worse...it’s time to let the guys prove it or loose it. We will have anywhere from 2-3 guys every year (for the next four years or so) waiting from here on out. It’s really the same in the bullpen. Sure “maybe” go out and spend to get that one guy, but we have plenty of guys in line for 2018 and on. Third you can platoon Rio and Camargo until Riley is ready. If Jackson keeps this up, we have our catcher in 2019. Maybe spend on a corner outfielder, but then again...by 2019 you have Christain P and maybe Drew Waters in 2020. To me, next year is really the first year our pitcher hoarding begins to “hopefully” pay off. Only way to find out is run those guys out there.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to TheBravos For This Useful Post:

AerchAngel (10-29-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    No way we can give Newk, Folty, Fried and Gohora time to prove anything if we add another starting pitcher. For better or worse...it’s time to let the guys prove it or loose it. We will have anywhere from 2-3 guys every year (for the next four years or so) waiting from here on out. It’s really the same in the bullpen. Sure “maybe” go out and spend to get that one guy, but we have plenty of guys in line for 2018 and on. Third you can platoon Rio and Camargo until Riley is ready. If Jackson keeps this up, we have our catcher in 2019. Maybe spend on a corner outfielder, but then again...by 2019 you have Christain P and maybe Drew Waters in 2020. To me, next year is really the first year our pitcher hoarding begins to “hopefully” pay off. Only way to find out is run those guys out there.
    I don't see a crunch in the bullpen yet. There is going to be some money available. How much is definitely up for debate. Like you I do not believe it makes any sense to bring in a starting pitcher. Time to see what we have.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    I don't see another area on the team that can't be improved internally more effectively. To me it's a waste to spend money or prospect currency to improve third or starting pitching with an external option.
    I certainly don't think it makes sense to spend a ton on an external option, but I think we need to look for value that is being undervalued, if that makes sense. Suarez from the Reds makes some sense, Avisail Garcia if you can find an outfield spot, and then some pitchers on the FA market like Chacin and Sabathia. Pitching just depends on whether we want to go full on youth movement, or get some vets to keep our options open. I think both avenues make sense to some degree. I would rather stand pat for the most part and invest fully in the youth movement, but I wouldn't expect to compete in 2018 if that is what we decide to do.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    Even if this progress with his bat is real, I think that its far from certain he can remain at catcher. If anything, its pretty unlikely at this point. I think the odds are better that he has to move to a corner outfield spot or first base, once again assuming that his bat plays.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    I certainly don't think it makes sense to spend a ton on an external option, but I think we need to look for value that is being undervalued, if that makes sense. Suarez from the Reds makes some sense, Avisail Garcia if you can find an outfield spot, and then some pitchers on the FA market like Chacin and Sabathia. Pitching just depends on whether we want to go full on youth movement, or get some vets to keep our options open. I think both avenues make sense to some degree. I would rather stand pat for the most part and invest fully in the youth movement, but I wouldn't expect to compete in 2018 if that is what we decide to do.
    I agree with this premise. I don't think Suarez will really be available, and I think CC will go back the Yanks on a 2 year deal with a high AAV, but the overall thought process is sound.

It only makes sense to target an SP is if the Braves convert pitching into an OFer like Ozuna.