Page 29 of 289 FirstFirst ... 1927282930313979129 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Offseason Thread

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Strasburg opts out, would be pretty surprised if Nats dont pay him though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,676 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Strasburg opts out, would be pretty surprised if Nats dont pay him though.
    Still good for us. Maybe they lose one of rendon and Strasburg, or at least make them tie so much in those 2 that they can't do much else

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by salmagundy View Post
    Today(Sat 11/2) is the deadline for Stras and Chapman to declare their Opt Out option of current contracts.

IMO, Stas should/will opt out and press Cole for the largest pitchers contract on record.

Chapman wants to extend with the Yuks so his decision is questionable.
    Stras indeed did opt out. Boras is going to try to get a better contract with the Nats for Stras. They have meetings set to begin Sunday. The actual value of his opt out contract is near 88 mil instead of the 100 mil for remaining 4 years. Being from southern Cal, I would think several Cal teams will price Stras out of Nats reach.

Chapman and Yuks agree to extend contract thru 2022.
    Last edited by salmagundy; 11-03-2019 at 04:11 PM.
    Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
    And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;......

And, while with silent, lifting mind I’ve trod
    The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
    Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

High Flight
    by
    John Gillespie Magee, Jr.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Stras indeed did opt out. Boras is going to try to get a better contract with the Nats for Stras. They have meetings set to begin Sunday. The actual value of his opt out contract is near 88 mil instead of the 100 mil for remaining 4 years. Being from southern Cal, I would think several Cal teams will price Stras out of Nats reach.

Strasburg's going nowhere - he's just looking to tack on an extra year or two and make his initial extension not look so team-friendly. Adjusting some of that deferred money to the present will help with that, and should be pretty simple to do - particularly since they're no longer scrambling to come up with the money for Harper.

They're in another of those situations where they might lose a huge piece (Rendon), but actually become a more complete - and better - team. Sportrac had them at a little over $208.8 million in 2019 salaries. By declining the options they held on Zimmerman and Gomes they saved $25 million. Let's argue that Strasburg's extension will eat up $5 million of that, meaning they've saved $20 million. Rendon and Dozier combined to make $27.8 million in 2019, and they can replace Dozier with Kieboom.

If they're willing to let Zimmerman ride off into the sunset (their version of AA's "what do you do with Julio") and bring back a Kendrick/Adams platoon at 1B for similar money to what they paid them this year, they could arguably be in a position to replace Rendon and Gomes with Donaldson and Grandal.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    I don't see us going for MadBum if Wheeler can be had for similar money (years may be the big issue here). MadBum outpitched his peripherals last year and isn't the guy he used to be. Most fantasizing for him to come to the Braves still think he's some untouchable ace when the metrics do not agree at all. Wheeler at least still has potential upside. MadBum not so much. With AA analytically driven, I doubt he goes hard after MadBum.

I don't get the love for Puig. Every year he's essentially a 1-2 win player with the exception of his early years and one outlier year which saw 2.9 fWAR. Every year we hear about how we should trade for Puig... and every year he puts up the same underwhelming numbers. Add in the clubhouse issues and its a hard pass for me and an obvious one. There are plenty of options that will be cheaper who are not clubhouse problems and can put up 1-2 fWAR. No thanks.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Wheeler is strong candidate to get QO also.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    It’d be a hard no on me for Puig.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PawPawMaxwell View Post
    Wheeler is strong candidate to get QO also.
    He's the only realistic option I'd sign that may have a QO attached

Edit: I mean pitcher... I'd also sign Grandal as he will prob have one, right?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Don't think Grandal is eligble for QO. Doubt AA will consider any player with a QO since we are still crippled with international issues.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    I don't see us going for MadBum if Wheeler can be had for similar money (years may be the big issue here). MadBum outpitched his peripherals last year and isn't the guy he used to be. Most fantasizing for him to come to the Braves still think he's some untouchable ace when the metrics do not agree at all. Wheeler at least still has potential upside. MadBum not so much. With AA analytically driven, I doubt he goes hard after MadBum.

I don't get the love for Puig. Every year he's essentially a 1-2 win player with the exception of his early years and one outlier year which saw 2.9 fWAR. Every year we hear about how we should trade for Puig... and every year he puts up the same underwhelming numbers. Add in the clubhouse issues and its a hard pass for me and an obvious one. There are plenty of options that will be cheaper who are not clubhouse problems and can put up 1-2 fWAR. No thanks.
    Pretty similar to the points many have brought up all along over the years when his name has been brought up - and completely justifiable ones IMO.

He has always struck me as one of those incredibly toolsy and exciting players who just can't seem to get out of his own way and put things together for anything other than short stretches. Clubhouse-wise, he seems a lot like the type of guy Pierzynski was - his teammates absolutely love him while everybody in the other dugout (as well as the umpires) absolutely hate him. He was great for the community when he was in Cincinnati, but you didn't hear much about him being that type of guy with the Dodgers or Indians. That's why I mentioned that's a question AA would need to answer - there's no doubt adding him to the clubhouse could blow up in your face, but if he couldn't come in and get along with a group of young players that have as much fun as Acuna, Albies, Camargo, etc. do, he'll probably never fit in anywhere.

The thing about him that is at least a little intriguing in the scenario I mentioned is that you're possibly going to be able to get him on a 2 year deal if the dollars are right (meaning he doesn't really get in the way of Pache or Waters), gives you that RH bat to balance the middle of a lineup if you had Freeman/Grandal/Moose, and making him a complementary piece at least removes some of the personality pressure that tends to follow him. In a lineup like that, he could just be "one of the guys" and go out there and just play. He's a better defender and offers more power and speed than Markakis, and would provide you that piece that Snitker couldn't really screw up if he remains dead-set on trying to alternate L-R-L-R when setting lineups.
    Last edited by clvclv; 11-03-2019 at 01:08 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PawPawMaxwell View Post
    Don't think Grandal is eligble for QO. Doubt AA will consider any player with a QO since we are still crippled with international issues.
    What does that have to do with the international signing penalties? You lose Rule IV picks for signing QO free-agents.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    I just read this morning and Ill go back and see if I can find it again. To my understanding since Braves are not a revenue sharing team if they sign another teams FA with a QO attached they forfeit their second pick in the draft and lose $500,000 international bonus pool money.

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    What does that have to do with the international signing penalties? You lose Rule IV picks for signing QO free-agents.
    I’m almost positive Grandal can not be given a QO. The Dodger gave him one last years. He declined and signed a one year contract with the Brewers. Only multi year deals require a team to forfeit a draft pick.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to JxnMissFan For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-03-2019)

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JxnMissFan View Post
    I’m almost positive Grandal can not be given a QO. The Dodger gave him one last years. He declined and signed a one year contract with the Brewers. Only multi year deals require a team to forfeit a draft pick.
    You’re correct. Grandal cannot be offered a QO by the Brewers.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Bravesfannchar For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-03-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Found the item about signing player with a QO.
    MLB.com, published this AM under 2020 QO candidates and updates. Very last paragraph.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts

From MLBTR

The Padres are in the running for Stras as expected. That's as close to hyis home town as you can get.

With Nationals co-ace and World Series MVP Stephen Strasburg opting out of his contract and preparing to hit free agency, the Padres are gearing up to make a push for the right-hander’s services. According to Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune, “multiple people in the [Padres] organization indicated over the past few days that the team will be in position to make a run at Stephen Strasburg.”
    Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
    And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;......

And, while with silent, lifting mind I’ve trod
    The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
    Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

High Flight
    by
    John Gillespie Magee, Jr.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    From MLBTR

The Padres are in the running for Stras as expected. That's as close to hyis home town as you can get.

With Nationals co-ace and World Series MVP Stephen Strasburg opting out of his contract and preparing to hit free agency, the Padres are gearing up to make a push for the right-hander’s services. According to Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune, “multiple people in the [Padres] organization indicated over the past few days that the team will be in position to make a run at Stephen Strasburg.”
    Saw years not money/APY or AAV will be the Nats hardest issue with Stras. He'll be 32, how long will they be willing to go, probably 4, dont know if they'd go up to 5-8 years, maybe 5. With his postseason, he and Boras can pretty much print out any contract they want. Stras would be a bigger loss than Rendon, there's some position players out there, and they have Kieboom in the farm.

They dont really have any replacement for Stras and after Cole, there's a big drop in talent in the SP. I'd guess they pony up for him, but he's gonna get paidddd.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JxnMissFan View Post
    He CAN'T be given a QO - neither can Moustakas.

This has nothing to do with international signings - you lose picks in the June (Rule IV) draft for signing QO free-agents. No one wanted to surrender draft picks for signing Keuchel or Kimbrel last winter on top of paying them big money - that's why they were still out there in June - it had nothing to do with teams' international signing strategies.
    Last edited by clvclv; 11-03-2019 at 07:32 PM.

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,270 Posts
    Acuna and Puig on the same team might cause a whole bunch of old white dude heads to explode, which is a pretty compelling argument for it above and beyond any baseball rationales.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to MadduxFanII For This Useful Post:

DirkPiggler (11-03-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    The list of Realistic FA targets for the Braves likely hinges on who gets a QO. Nothing they’ve shown suggests they will be giving up a draft pick for any FA they can likely afford.

Guys like Wheeler and Bumgarner check all the boxes of a guy likely to go the DK route, so I wouldn’t be surprised at all to see either of them join the Braves after the draft. It will be very interesting to see if they price themselves out of an opening day job.

Does anyone actually read the droning run on posts by the usual suspect?
    Last edited by Enscheff; 11-03-2019 at 08:36 PM.