Results 981 to 1,000 of 5779

Thread: Official Offseason Thread

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    599 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    Right. There is absolutely nothing to lose and everything to gain by offering the pick. That’s why I was so confused by the question.
    This. All day.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    With the Dodgers getting involved pretty heavy into the 3b market that drives the price up big time for JD. They are saying they’ll move Turner to 1b so that takes another option off the table for us. I have a feeling Moose will be our target.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    With the Dodgers getting involved pretty heavy into the 3b market that drives the price up big time for JD. They are saying they’ll move Turner to 1b so that takes another option off the table for us. I have a feeling Moose will be our target.
    I'd be so confused by the Dodgers paying big money for Donaldson. It'd be such a strange move to me. Yeah, the Dodgers have the resources and the motivation to always be looking to improve, but when you have Justin Turner, Max Muncy, Corey Seager, Gavin Lux, and Matt Beaty plus guys like Chris Taylor, Kike Hernandez, and even Cody Bellinger to man your infield spots, it starts to look a bit like overkill. Especially given the fact that they really have a bunch of question marks in their rotation after Kershaw and Buehler.

If they end up signing Donaldson for some reason, it'd be hard for me to imagine them not trading at least one of their current infielders for help elsewhere. It could end up being a guy like Lux or Muncy rather than a guy like Turner, but I think somebody would get traded.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    I have a feeling AA is going to push hard for Lindor if he feels like he actually can get him. Lindor just feels like the Yelich/Realmuto of this off season and we may be at the appropriate juncture to pony up for that kind of deal. If that happens, I imagine we pivot to signing Moose instead of paying a premium for JD. Who would you rather have... Lindor/Moose or Swanson/JD?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    I have a feeling AA is going to push hard for Lindor if he feels like he actually can get him. Lindor just feels like the Yelich/Realmuto of this off season and we may be at the appropriate juncture to pony up for that kind of deal. If that happens, I imagine we pivot to signing Moose instead of paying a premium for JD. Who would you rather have... Lindor/Moose or Swanson/JD?
    Swanson/JD bc it would just be money for them

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Money that could be used to significantly upgrade a different part of the club

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    getting Lindor would be insanity. no clue what it would take, but i'd pony up anything short of Pache.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    No room for sentimality dude...give up the Bae
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Who are you giving up for Lindor. Because you need to include them in your comparison. So it should say. Would you rather have JD/Swanson/Waters/Anderson or Lindor/moose.
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    I think that its probably working like this:

-Donaldson would ideally want to stay in Atlanta, but only for the right amount of money
    -We let him shop his services with the understanding that he'll come back to let us negotiate against whatever offers he has
    -We make a decision on whether to match the best offer he has gotten, or offer him enough to tempt him to stay.

I don't "know" that Donaldson wants to stay in Atlanta, but that is the feeling I get. At least enough to work with us in negotiations and be more transparent than another free agent might be. I also get the feeling that he doesn't want to stay here bad enough to take a significant discount in order to do so, given that this is his last major payday. So if he gets offered a 3/75 contract or whatever it is, its just going to be a matter of us matching that offer or getting close enough that Josh is willing to stay.

My sense is that he is likely going to get priced out of Atlanta and ultimately I'm okay with that. I'm starting to approach this offseason from the standpoint of building quality depth, rather than going after massive names that require significant risk to sign. There are several older players who are solid pieces and who would come relatively cheaply. I think it might be a good idea to go after several of those names to fill out a quality roster, rather than committing all of our money to one or two "impact" signings.

We have a very strong core of "stars" on our team and I think it'd be a perfectly valid approach to fill out the rest of the roster with ~1-2 win players, including the bench. Some of those guys' value could be enhanced by smart roster management and platooning and end up giving us a really solid roster to work with. Obviously AA would have to basically command Snit to deploy the roster correctly, but I'm thinking that this might be the most effective way to navigate this offseason. There seems to be an abundance of 1-2 win types that should come cheaply and fill our needs, while the "big name" guys seem to come with significant risk or commitment attached to them. The one exception to that might be Moustakas (or Grandal if he could be convinced to value AAV over the amount of years).
    I think we'd go 2 years at a higher AAV than he's likely to find anywhere else. May be something along the lines of 2/60. But I can't see us going to 3 years, which may be the breaking point in negotiations.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Who are you giving up for Lindor. Because you need to include them in your comparison. So it should say. Would you rather have JD/Swanson/Waters/Anderson or Lindor/moose.
    if that's the question i go Lindor/Moose 1000%
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    No room for sentimality dude...give up the Bae
    Swanson isn't the one I'm worried about losing in that deal... pache, waters, Anderson, etc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Swanson isn't the one I'm worried about losing in that deal... pache, waters, Anderson, etc
    i don't think there's any chance Pache gets dealt.
    i wouldn't be too upset about dealing the other guys if it lands you Francisco Lindor.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Do you even go a little bit further what about the package it takes to get Lindor using it to get something else. So would you rather have Lindor and moose or JD Swanson and say Soler or Haniger or whoever.
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    I'm not sure I agree, but Lindor would be an incredible get, obviously. Moose AND Lindor would be solid as hell.

Assuming we keep Riley: I'd go Lindor SS, Acuna CF, Freeman 1B, Moose 3B, Albies 2B, Riley LF, Markakis RF, Flowers/TBD C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    I'm curious what surplus value says would be a reasonable package to combine with Swanson for Lindor. The trade simulor at baseballtradevalues.com says Swanson and Riley is fair, which tells me I can probably ignore that site from now on. Swanson, Wright, and Shewmake would also work in their system, which seems better but still a bit light to me.

Is there someplace with reasonable surplus value estimates listed?
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Do you even go a little bit further what about the package it takes to get Lindor using it to get something else. So would you rather have Lindor and moose or JD Swanson and say Soler or Haniger or whoever.
    A far better idea!!
    Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
    And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;......

And, while with silent, lifting mind I’ve trod
    The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
    Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

High Flight
    by
    John Gillespie Magee, Jr.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    I'm curious what surplus value says would be a reasonable package to combine with Swanson for Lindor. The trade simulor at baseballtradevalues.com says Swanson and Riley is fair, which tells me I can probably ignore that site from now on. Swanson, Wright, and Shewmake would also work in their system, which seems better but still a bit light to me.

Is there someplace with reasonable surplus value estimates listed?
    Curious if the Indians would even want Swanson, as opposed to younger talent with more control. They are in a weird spot, so trading Lindor doesn't definitely signal a full rebuild.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    Curious if the Indians would even want Swanson, as opposed to younger talent with more control. They are in a weird spot, so trading Lindor doesn't definitely signal a full rebuild.
    i think they see their window as still open, even if they trade Lindor. i could see them wanting a replacement SS in that case. and Swanson won't ever cost nearly as much as Lindor is about to.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    I'd imagine Swanson would have to be included in a Lindor deal, what goes with him is the better question. Obviously at least 1 of Waters/Pache/Anderson go, but what else.

We probably have no chance at signing Lindor long-term so i'm not sure i'd cash in some prospects for a 2 year run with him.