Results 1,041 to 1,060 of 5779

Thread: Official Offseason Thread

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    There's obviously more money than anyone here thought - the question is "How much more?"
    Obviously is a strong word. I most certainly would say obviously there is more money than anyone here thought.
    Coppy

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    599 Posts
    Why are you guys freaking out ? Everything AA has done reeks of brilliance - given we don’t have uncle Ted’s money any more- what’s the issue ? It’s not like he’s gonna just start Riley at third and get Contreras to catch ... and roll with it.
    Good lord fellas .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Yeah anybody who thinks he’s gonna splurge on a luxury like Smith then fill the other holes with crap is completely clueless. He has something up his sleeve and has to be pretty confident in his plan enough to sign Smith. I’d say one of Haniger or Contreras is gonna be in play here along with another player with a QO attached like Wheeler.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Would be really interesting to see how much money the Padres would eat on Myers' deal and what a Myers/Dinelson Lamet trade would need to look like.

Lamet definitely has TOR stuff, and if they're serious about chasing Cole or Strasburg they're bound to be interested in attaching something attractive to Myers to make most of his money go away.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Called Up to the Major Leagues ixiXSolidXixi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    I believe we should try to get Grandal for two years and get a cheap third baseman until Riley is ready to take over.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Obviously not an ideal fit either, but what would a trade for Joc Pederson have to look like now? If they're trying to move money around to add a Rendon/Donaldson, Pederson definitely wouldn't be a bad bridge to Pache/Waters.

Put Pederson in RF, Riley/Camargo at 3B, and use Ender in a Kluber deal?
    Last edited by clvclv; 11-14-2019 at 10:12 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    Yeah anybody who thinks he’s gonna splurge on a luxury like Smith then fill the other holes with crap is completely clueless. He has something up his sleeve and has to be pretty confident in his plan enough to sign Smith. I’d say one of Haniger or Contreras is gonna be in play here along with another player with a QO attached like Wheeler.
    I'm with the clueless. None of the above. But I do think he will get a third baseman. Donaldson, Moose, Turner are some of the possibilities.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

8. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

salmagundy (11-15-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I'm with the clueless. None of the above. But I do think he will get a third baseman. Donaldson, Moose, Turner are some of the possibilities.
    If you think that he’ll get one of the 3 you mentioned then you aren’t clueless. AA is smarter than everybody on this board when it comes to running a ball team so I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt on this one.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Hudson2 For This Useful Post:

salmagundy (11-15-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    If you think that he’ll get one of the 3 you mentioned then you aren’t clueless. AA is smarter than everybody on this board when it comes to running a ball team so I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt on this one.
    Speak for yourself... I'm borderline genius at team running

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to msstate7 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (11-15-2019), Hudson2 (11-15-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    I wonder if AA will kick the tires on Miguel Andujar. Not the best defender at third and was injured last season. But the bat is very good. Plus he is young and cost-controlled.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    I get a feeling that Haniger is gonna be a strong target at the WM for us. AA wanted him last year and whiffed and now that we’re hearing that he’s available I see AA being all over it. Neck would become the 4th OF’er and I’m fine with him in that role.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    I get a feeling that Haniger is gonna be a strong target at the WM for us. AA wanted him last year and whiffed and now that we’re hearing that he’s available I see AA being all over it. Neck would become the 4th OF’er and I’m fine with him in that role.

I'm interested to know whether the front office would choose Inciarte in Center or a LF platoon if they acquired a RF.

Or would they platoon Inciarte and Markakis in that scenario?

NL Rookie of the Year CrazyTrain's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts
    lol.... No way do we relegate Nick to the bench. If you seriously believe this, you've ignored everything about his time here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    I'm interested to know whether the front office would choose Inciarte in Center or a LF platoon if they acquired a RF.

Or would they platoon Inciarte and Markakis in that scenario?
    ...Don't we have a RF? That's where Acuna needs to be, he's not a great center fielder.

I think the OF is set and they'll wait on Pache/Waters with cheap stop gaps.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyTrain View Post
    lol.... No way do we relegate Nick to the bench. If you seriously believe this, you've ignored everything about his time here.
    Platooned.

Also with the extra bench piece this year wouldn't it make sense that guy is more hitter than fielder. Seems an extra OF (vs IF) the way our roster is constructed seems like it makes the most sense seeing as though those guys are likely to be a better hitter.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    They also had a talk with him about not being a full time starter here and he agreed to it. If a deal comes along like Haniger, Marte or somebody else that AA likes then Markakis will be a bench bat.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts
    They also had a talk with him about not being a full time starter here and he agreed to it. If a deal comes along like Haniger, Marte or somebody else that AA likes then Markakis will be a bench bat.
    They finally talked him into a platoon, but I don't see us adding an OF when we have massive holes at 3B, catcher and SP to deal with.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Hole at 3B is not so much a problem as the cleanup spot. Have to find someone to bat 4th for Freddie's sake. Doesn't have to be a 3B. Remind everyone to look at Camargo's #s for 2018. sure, you cant discount 2019 but neither can you ignore 18.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    ...Don't we have a RF? That's where Acuna needs to be, he's not a great center fielder.

I think the OF is set and they'll wait on Pache/Waters with cheap stop gaps.

I think the OF as it stands is subpar offensively. I don't see how it will work with a lineup that probably downgrades the middle of the order.

Adding cOF offense seems like the easiest way to add depth to the lineup. I think Acuna playing CF is fine.

If the result is keeping Inciarte and scrapping the LF platoon, that would be fine too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    I think the OF as it stands is subpar offensively. I don't see how it will work with a lineup that probably downgrades the middle of the order.

Adding cOF offense seems like the easiest way to add depth to the lineup. I think Acuna playing CF is fine.

If the result is keeping Inciarte and scrapping the LF platoon, that would be fine too.
    I honestly think we get that at 3B. They will sign either JD or more likely, Moustakas.