Results 1,501 to 1,520 of 29602

Thread: The Coronavirus, not the beer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Literally from the same Article:

"The death rate from confirmed COVID-19 cases is estimated at 1.38%, while the overall death rate, which includes unconfirmed cases, is estimated at 0.66%;"

"Previous estimates of deaths from confirmed cases of COVID-19 have ranged from 2% to 8% [5], while deaths from overall infections have been estimated at 0.2% to 1.6%"
    I'm well aware and the final talley once we have an antibody test will be on the low end of that scale if not lower.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Natural Immunity Croc

3. The Following User Says Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (04-01-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Review of The Fifth Risk in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic.

https://www.worth.com/the-book-that-...irus-response/

makes one wonder how much damage chosen one will do with another four years
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Correct. He gets called a fascist for... reasons? Imagine if he tried to shut down the country.

No win situation for the orange dude

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Correct. He gets called a fascist for... reasons? Imagine if he tried to shut down the country.

No win situation for the orange dude
    Never waste a good pandemic to try and hurt Trump.

Amazing these people don't see the majority of Americans see through the hysteria and realize that Trump and his administration has handled this well. Its a shame people don't understand how drastic and important of a move shutting down travel with China was. The majority of deaths in the nation are going to occur in a city where the mayor denounced racism and told their people to congregate as well as a NYC health commissioner that did the same thing.

Its a sick joke that people see.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Identity politics kills

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    From the review of The Fifth Risk:

Trump himself wasn’t like Mulvaney, Lewis concluded—he didn’t actually know anything about what the government did, he just knew that he didn’t like it. “Trump wasn’t some diabolically clever Ayn Randian who was going to dismantle the government piece by piece in a systematic and intelligent way,” Lewis explained to Chris Hayes. “He just couldn’t be bothered and thought, ‘It’s all dumb.’” Well, Lewis added, “who’s going to show up for work in that administration?”

All of which brings us to coronavirus and the current state of White House confusion. The president’s spoken responses to the pandemic have reflected his longstanding impulses to minimize bad news that he cannot control, act dismissively toward events that might hurt him politically and simultaneously elevate himself as a savior figure. (We’ll restart the country on Easter!) We’ve learned to live with these things, but this situation is different that most of what the president speaks to; it’s about life and death. When the president encourages people to use a particular drug to fight the virus, bad things can happen.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Reading The Fifth Risk now isn’t simply an exercise in learning what went wrong and thinking, “How did we not see this coming?” (Anyway, some people did.) It’s also a book that speaks to the future—about examining our attitudes toward government as the country heads into a presidential election. Decades ago, Ronald Reagan inspired and exacerbated anti-government sentiment among huge chunks of the electorate. Remember his famous quip that “the nine most terrifying words in the English language are ‘I’m from the government and I’m here to help’”? Donald Trump is making us finally accept that, whether we like it or not, we need our government’s help.

The above is also from the review.

We all have biases about what we would like from government. Some want small government. Some want more. I think one of the tragedies of our time (and by that I mean the last few decades not just the last three years) is that we have overlooked something that we should all have been in agreement on, which that above all we want effective government. We can have effective small government or effective bigger government. That reasonable people can argue about. But effectiveness, expertise, knowledge, experience are things we should all value. They should not be denigrated.

When this crisis is over, the facts will speak loudly. There will be a scoreboard. We will see per capita death rates across countries. And we will be able to draw conclusions. I will make a prediction: we will be disappointed in our results compared to countries in our peer group. And one reason will be the denigration of expertise that has happened over a fairly long period.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 04-01-2020 at 10:39 AM.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,739 Posts
    Maybe we should blame the guy who said China had this instead of the people who were saying China was lying?
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    We should listen carefully to what the intelligence community is telling us about this and other matters. Not uncritically. But we should give it a lot of weight compared to certain other sources of information and disinformation.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    We should listen carefully to what the intelligence community is telling us about this and other matters. Not uncritically. But we should give it a lot of weight compared to certain other sources of information and disinformation.
    The whole point is that the experts were using the only data available to make policy decisions. For some reason this is Trumps fault though that China lied to the world.

IT MAKES NO SENSE
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    The whole point is that the experts were using the only data available to make policy decisions. For some reason this is Trumps fault though that China lied to the world.

IT MAKES NO SENSE
    There is not a single thing the orange man could or could have done that would make the goldflys of the world happy.

They genuinely give more praise to ruthless murders than they do the cheeto. So just accept that no matter what he does, in either direction, for either reason, they will take the opposite side and point blame.

They have been broken

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts

IT MAKES NO SENSE
    I'm sure his intelligence briefings contained an assessment about the data coming out of China.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,762 Posts
    I'm loving the goalposts moving.
    Forever Fredi

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,762 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I'm sure his intelligence briefings contained an assessment about the data coming out of China.
    Yes.

I am loving this trying to rewrite what has happened the last 2 month thing.

Lest we forget, conservatives used "covid isn't a big deal because China is showing recovery" in week 2 of this crisis to further downplay it, while those of us were still cautious about what was going ti happen here.
    Forever Fredi

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,762 Posts
    I love sturg's logic that we should have shut down the country in January when Trump found out. You can never have moderation with him it's always go right for the extreme.

Trump's dishonesty throughout this whole thing is a big reason the country was vastly unprepared for this (setting aside the cuts to the pandemic team and CDC stuff)

Just remember, when the bodycount was piling up in China, then South Korea and the US both had their first cases confirmed, one country took this seriously and the other didn't.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    We have one data point where chosen one preferred to believe Putin over the U.S. intelligence community.

It would be unfair to generalize from that and say that he chose to believe Xi over the U.S. intelligence community.

But I think it is fair game to quote his own words: "President Xi loves the people of China, he loves his country and he is doing a very good job with a very tough situation."

And there is this:

President Donald Trump said Friday he is not concerned that China might be covering up the full extent of the coronavirus after speaking on Thursday with China's leader Xi Jinping, who he said has been “strong, sharp and powerfully focused” in his efforts to fight to the spread of the virus.

“No, China's working very hard,” Trump told ABC News' Karen Travers. “Late last night I had a very good talk with President XI and we talked about mostly about the coronavirus. They're working really hard and I think they're doing a very professional job. They're in touch with the world health organization, CDC also.”

"It's a tough situation. I think they're doing a very good job," Trump said.

all of the above quotes are from February

i've said this before, but chosen one's information filter leaves a lot to be desired
    Last edited by nsacpi; 04-01-2020 at 11:56 AM.

"I am your retribution."