Thread: 2018 Offseason And Targets

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Ok great.

I think intelli Braves know what it would have taken to get JTR.
    They may do, and the Braves were not willing to pay it. The question is... was that price the one being reported after the fact now, or is this just a "Look how brilliant Jeter is... He beat AA in a negotiation" article written with a purpose other than the one assumed.

I am just suggesting taking it with a grain of salt rather than using it to criticize AA.

A few folks on the board need to step back from the edge and not be so quick to believe every word written by guys who are being fed information for various purposes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    As usual, your reading comprehension leaves much to be desired. That’s not what the article said at all. There are no words...more like there is no comprehension.

“the team needed only to surrender two of Austin Riley, Cristian Pache, and one top pitching prospect (of which Atlanta has several: each of Mike Soroka, Ian Anderson, Touki Toussaint, Bryse Wilson, Kyle Wright, and Joey Wentz are top 100 prospects in at least one major outlet).”

The requirement was 2 of the names mentioned, a position player and a pitcher, and Albies was never really the ask.

I have a bit of a hard time understanding how AA couldn’t make this happen if they were truly willing to deal Riley. Someone like Wilson or Wentz should not prevent a trade for an impact player.
    The question is who was considered a "top pitching prospect." A list was produced in the article, but I don't think the wording revealed whether it was the Marlins' list or a guess by the author of the article.

There is a significant value difference imo between Soroka and Anderson on the one hand and Wentz on the other. Enough to take us from fair price to significant overpay.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    I would have done Riley, Wilson, and Wentz if they wanted.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    If that is the case it is not written well.
    True. But if you read it carefully it is clear.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    If that is the case it is not written well. Instead it should say Riley or Pache and an arm. I do not think the sentence is clear reading it four times now.

Still don’t think I’d do Riley and a top guy. Pache and Wentz/Wilson and I probably would bite.
    It said two of Riley, Pache and a top arm.

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    The question is who was considered a "top pitching prospect." A list was produced in the article, but I don't think the wording revealed whether it was the Marlins' list or a guess by the author of the article.

There is a significant value difference imo between Soroka and Anderson on the one hand and Wentz on the other. Enough to take us from fair price to significant overpay.
    Agreed. Riley plus Anderson is a lot different than Riley plus Wentz.

The list in the MLBTR post was more a list of the top pitching prospects than it was a list of names discussed.

Having said that, I’m not sure how I would have felt about Riley plus Anderson plus something like international pool cash or other filler. That seems like too much, unless Anderson’s spin rates really are an issue.

The real issue now is...what next?

This can’t be the opening day roster, and there are no more obvious impact moves left to make.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 02-09-2019 at 01:32 PM.

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,269 Posts
    Here's the Heyman tweet that MLB Trade Rumors is aggregating:

Most others in on Realmuto were willing to surrender 1 big piece but not a 2nd big piece. Marlins sought 2 of May, Lux, Ruiz and Smith from LA (after it was clear Bellinger was going nowhere) and 2 of Riley, Pache and a big pitching prospect (ie Wright, Wilson, Anderson) from ATL
    I initially read the MLBTR piece as saying the Marlins wanted Riley AND Pache AND a top pitching prospect, which would have been too much for me. But it looks like Heyman is saying two from the group of Riley, Pache and a top pitching prospect. Which is pretty consistent with what we've been hearing most of the off-season.

Pache/Riley, Anderson and a throw-in prospect is a tough price, but reasonable. Not paying it is also a reasonable decision.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    I doubt wentz or Wilson was enough. Likely pache/riley and anderson/Wright. Plus some filler like the Phillies put in. Now I wouldn't be shocked if the braves were offering riley and Wentz/wilson and that was their standing offer.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (02-10-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    I doubt wentz or Wilson was enough. Likely pache/riley and anderson/Wright. Plus some filler like the Phillies put in. Now I wouldn't be shocked if the braves were offering riley and Wentz/wilson and that was their standing offer.
    Seems perfectly logical to me.

I imagine AA would have been willing to kick in pool money to push it over the line, but it appears the Marlins really liked the throw in pitcher they got from the Phils.

I’m not too upset the Braves didn’t get JTR. My issue is with how conservative they have been the entire offseason. I get that AA is playing the long game, but it seems he is being too cautious in terms of 2019.

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    Seems perfectly logical to me.

I imagine AA would have been willing to kick in pool money to push it over the line, but it appears the Marlins really liked the throw in pitcher they got from the Phils.

I’m not too upset the Braves didn’t get JTR. My issue is with how conservative they have been the entire offseason. I get that AA is playing the long game, but it seems he is being too cautious in terms of 2019.
    Last year I thought AA was a little too conservative in the off season but the team won the division. I’m beginning to think the strategy is to bet on the farm, keep payroll commitments short, and make trades and signings that add value but are cheap. Last year the kemp and gausmen trades were minor but very important to the success of the team. If he continues to win with this strategy AA will soon be called a genius.

I think the mistakes AA had made this off-season is not finding a better OF player and not adding to the bullpen. Of course if he could pick up Marwin G on a reasonable contract or sign a good bullpen arm he could easily fix his off season mistakes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    AA has to sign Bud Norris.

"I am your retribution."

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JxnMissFan View Post
    Last year I thought AA was a little too conservative in the off season but the team won the division. I’m beginning to think the strategy is to bet on the farm, keep payroll commitments short, and make trades and signings that add value but are cheap. Last year the kemp and gausmen trades were minor but very important to the success of the team. If he continues to win with this strategy AA will soon be called a genius.

I think the mistakes AA had made this off-season is not finding a better OF player and not adding to the bullpen. Of course if he could pick up Marwin G on a reasonable contract or sign a good bullpen arm he could easily fix his off season mistakes.
    I don't break out in hives like a lot of people here with the mention of the name Markakis, but I think they should have looked harder for an upgrade at the cOF position. It just seems like things just rolled that direction. I have no idea what was happening in terms of offers to other players.

I believe one of Snitker's biggest tasks this season will be to sit down with Markakis during spring training and say "Nick, you're a 130-game guy at this stage of your career. Adjustments will be made accordingly." Maybe that was made clear to Markakis in the contract negotiations. I hope so.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    AA has to sign Bud Norris.
    It would be appropriate seeing the Braves have extended Norris' career by sending him to the bullpen after his face-plant in the rotation in 2016. I'm kind of surprised the Dodgers put him in their rotation after the Braves sent him to LA mid-2016.

Creepy Lurking Stalker
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    This place is great. I’ve been been lurking for probably a couple of years now.

Well anyway, I was traveling back to the west coast a few weeks ago (Jan. 18) and as I was going up the elevator from the train to the concourse at Hartsfield AA happened to be riding up directly beside me. I believe this was the day after he conducted the interview that said something to the effect that he had a deal 70% complete, but was just working out the fringe pieces. I was not going to pass the opportunity up. After the conciliatory congrats on a good first year I quickly mentioned that I would bet those fringe pieces are probably much tougher to agree to than people realize. AA quickly responded by bluntly saying not really. I then asked if anything at all was close (FA or trade). He said flatly, nope. Then he quipped, possibly in 3 weeks or so. I took that as meaning the interview the day before was complete BS. Looking back on it, by saying 3 weeks he may have been talking about JTR considering the timing with Florida’s fan day, but my BS meter is still flashing regarding the fringe pieces as I assume his offer at the winter meetings for JTR was a take it or leave it proposal. The interview was just an attempt to pacify the fan base.

The part that struck me funny was that as he walked off the elevator I noticed he was wearing a Braves backpack. I don’t know why, but it seemed odd. Kind of like a billboard. My wife turned to me and asked, who was the dorky guy you were talking to?

16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to SoCalDawg For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (02-09-2019), buck75 (02-09-2019), Freshmaker (02-10-2019), Garmel (02-09-2019), JohnAdcox (02-10-2019), nsacpi (02-09-2019), The Chosen One (02-09-2019)

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDawg View Post

Well anyway, I was traveling back to the west coast a few weeks ago (Jan. 18) and as I was going up the elevator from the train to the concourse at Hartsfield AA happened to be riding up directly beside me. I believe this was the day after he conducted the interview that said something to the effect that he had a deal 70% complete, but was just working out the fringe pieces. I was not going to pass the opportunity up. After the conciliatory congrats on a good first year I quickly mentioned that I would bet those fringe pieces are probably much tougher to agree to than people realize. AA quickly responded by bluntly saying not really. I then asked if anything at all was close (FA or trade). He said flatly, nope. Then he quipped, possibly in 3 weeks or so. I took that as meaning the interview the day before was complete BS. Looking back on it, by saying 3 weeks he may have been talking about JTR considering the timing with Florida’s fan day, but my BS meter is still flashing regarding the fringe pieces as I assume his offer at the winter meetings for JTR was a take it or leave it proposal. The interview was just an attempt to pacify the fan base.

The part that struck me funny was that as he walked off the elevator I noticed he was wearing a Braves backpack. I don’t know why, but it seemed odd. Kind of like a billboard. My wife turned to me and asked, who was the dorky guy you were talking to?
    Thanks for the story. Next time plug our board to AA so he can hire nscapi and Enscheff and we don't have to deal with them here anymore.
    Forever Fredi

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

Jaw (02-09-2019), JohnAdcox (02-10-2019), nsacpi (02-09-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDawg View Post

You screwed up. You should've invited him to the Honey Baked Ham Co. Then you would've gotten the real scoop.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    You think Bowman is a bad beat writer... you should go have fun looking at Joe Frisaro's Twitter account (Marlins beat writer). The dude is either a grade A troll or absolutely clueless... maybe both.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    You think Bowman is a bad beat writer... you should go have fun looking at Joe Frisaro's Twitter account (Marlins beat writer). The dude is either a grade A troll or absolutely clueless... maybe both.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

buck75 (02-09-2019), JohnAdcox (02-10-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    I'm sad he blocked me

24. The Following User Says Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (02-10-2019)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    I just responded with the SV numbers of Realmuto and Ozzie showing that Ozzie is clearly the more valuable trade asset currently. His response: "Wrong"

Lol, its amazing that some of these guys actually make money covering baseball.