Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: Braves extent Ozzie!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Who freaking cares. People are so cynical. It’s a great deal for us and he’s still a millionaire. Let’s just win games and move the hell on.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to UNCBlue012 For This Useful Post:

goldfly (04-12-2019), salmagundy (04-12-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    SportsMeter is Albies' agent. They are small, but they do represent several other MLB players - Kluber, Lindor, Castellanos, Kimbrel (uh oh), Dietrich. Not much of a presence, but it's not like they're just randos who happened to luck into getting Albies.

If Ozzie thinks they acted in bad faith or didn't do what he asked them to do, I imagine he would have a pretty strong claim against them at that point.

But again, this whole discussion has a feel of 'oh poor Ozzie, he doesn't know any better,' and I have a problem with that.
    "Acuna is getting lucky, just like CJ did when he batted .321 and won a batting title. He is unlikely to get lucky at the MLB level over an extended period of time. He will settle in around .300-.320 just like everyone else, and when he does, he won't be within shouting distance of the 1.000 OPS he is posting in AAA...more like low .700s in 2018." -Enscheff 8/25/17

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to smootness For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (04-12-2019), goldfly (04-12-2019), jpx7 (04-12-2019), salmagundy (04-12-2019)

Called Up to the Major Leagues SJ24's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    291 Posts
    Ozzie saw the free agent market this winter. He says it's not about the money, but the security. I totally get it.

Mike Trout could have gotten a whole Hell of a lot more money, too.

Anyone who thinks he just doesn't understand is a moron bordering on racist and classist. Definitely elitist.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to SJ24 For This Useful Post:

salmagundy (04-12-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    Who freaking cares. People are so cynical. It’s a great deal for us and he’s still a millionaire. Let’s just win games and move the hell on.

At the end of the day, that's basically where I am.

I suspect that Albies does better than just about everyone here even when he's getting the league minimum. He's not a guy living in a street or a crummy apartment, hand to mouth. If he is, it's his own fault. He just got a guarantee of 35m. He's a 1% guy.

So, I don't think "poor Ozzie" is really the actual story.

But he did sign an objectively horrible deal and that was a bad business decision. I put the blame on him and his agent for making a poor decision. Absent some kind of evidence of Braves collusion with the agent or other wrongdoing, the Braves simply were playing by the rules. Albies proper response to a bad offer was to give the Braves the finger and go about his business. It would have worked out better for him.

NL Rookie of the Year CrazyTrain's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Would anyone claim Dansby was taken advantage of if he had signed a similarly cheap deal?

I have a strong feeling that answer is no. And that is a problem.
    No, but Dansby didn't put up 3.8 fWAR and hit 24 bombs last year as a 21 year old.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,274 Posts
    Count me in the cynics are lame club.

Ozzie just made $35 million dollars yesterday. He could get in a car accident tomorrow and die and his family would be left on their own. This is the price he was willing to accept to trade in some contract upside.

I am sure Jose Fernandez’s family would have been very if he signed one of these contracts instead of waiting for free agency to set records.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

Jaw (04-12-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyTrain View Post
    No, but Dansby didn't put up 3.8 fWAR and hit 24 bombs last year as a 21 year old.
    man. is it really that hard to understand that that doesn't mean signing the same exact deal, but a similarly team-friendly, bad-for-the-player deal?
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Some players, wanna hit FA, like Machado/Harper, Lindor and Betts want to test FA among other players.

Some wanna sign now before something happens. It's a risk both ways. Ozzie wants his family to be safe and as i've said, if he becomes an elite player, i think the Braves reward him with more money down the line. Win/win.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post

Ozzie just made $35 million dollars yesterday. He could get in a car accident tomorrow and die and his family would be left on their own. This is the price he was willing to accept to trade in some contract upside.

I am sure Jose Fernandez’s family would have been very if he signed one of these contracts instead of waiting for free agency to set records.
    Yep. Ozzie knows better than us what his and his family's situation is, Ozzie knows about career ending injuries that happen early, Ozzie probably worried about Acuna's near miss injury last year, and I bet Ozzie even knows about his mega slump last year. There are plenty of things that could have spooked him into making this deal, but he doesn't seem dumb.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    Poor Ozzie he only got 40 million. He is young enough to get another contract if he doesnt pull a Melvin. He will also have a job for life lost baseball if he wants it. There's all kinds of hidden value in being a one team star.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    Yep. Ozzie knows better than us what his and his family's situation is, Ozzie knows about career ending injuries that happen early, Ozzie probably worried about Acuna's near miss injury last year, and I bet Ozzie even knows about his mega slump last year. There are plenty of things that could have spooked him into making this deal, but he doesn't seem dumb.

Ozzie is going to be fine by any realistic standard of living.

But you're basically saying that someone's decision about their own life is inherently correct, because they know better than anyone else. I guess in the sense that we are all free to do as we like it is true. But objectively, he made a bad business decision.

This deal didn't really affect his short term earnings much. He probably would have done better in arbitration than he will do under this deal. He didn't have to sign away free agent years at less <1 WAR pricing. His deal is bad compared to extensions of comparable players.

It's clear that it wasn't a great business decision. Saying he's happy with it is fine. But lots of people make bad choices and are happy with it at the time. Being happy doesn't mean you made the smartest decision.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyTrain View Post

17. The Following User Says Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (04-12-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Ozzie is going to be fine by any realistic standard of living.

But you're basically saying that someone's decision about their own life is inherently correct, because they know better than anyone else. I guess in the sense that we are all free to do as we like it is true. But objectively, he made a bad business decision.

This deal didn't really affect his short term earnings much. He probably would have done better in arbitration than he will do under this deal. He didn't have to sign away free agent years at less <1 WAR pricing. His deal is bad compared to extensions of comparable players.

It's clear that it wasn't a great business decision. Saying he's happy with it is fine. But lots of people make bad choices and are happy with it at the time. Being happy doesn't mean you made the smartest decision.
    He didn't say it was inherently the correct decision, he just said we don't have enough to say that it was a terrible decision for him.

Obviously financially, he left a bunch of money on the table. We're all clear on that. So yes, as a strictly business decision, it was a bad one. And it does have potential impact on other players' deals as well, that is also true.

It's possible he ends up unhappy with this deal down the road. It's also possible he's just fine with his decision and remains so. But he is allowed to decide for himself what constitutes a good decision. And if he made this decision with full information and a clear head, then more power to him.

My issue is the whole 'we know better than you, and you made a bad decision' vibe coming from a ton of people on this. Again, it's one thing to run calculations and say, 'He left money on the table.' That is a fact. It's another to say, 'He doesn't know any better, he made a bad decision, and he was taken advantage of.'
    "Acuna is getting lucky, just like CJ did when he batted .321 and won a batting title. He is unlikely to get lucky at the MLB level over an extended period of time. He will settle in around .300-.320 just like everyone else, and when he does, he won't be within shouting distance of the 1.000 OPS he is posting in AAA...more like low .700s in 2018." -Enscheff 8/25/17

19. The Following User Says Thank You to smootness For This Useful Post:

Jaw (04-12-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts

Ozzie didn't have to sell his career for a 50% discount to get that type of security.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

Carp (04-12-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Ozzie didn't have to sell his career for a 50% discount to get that type of security.

For real. I have to think the Braves would have happily done 7/35 without blinking. 7/35 is well under market value as well, but not too far off from what we were discussing last week (6-7 years between 50-70 million). 7/35 would have given him a nice cushion and set him up as a FA at age 28 with the opportunity to cash in for possibly a 100 million dollar contract or at the very least, twice the amount the value of the options. The 2 option years are just absurd.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,274 Posts
    Wholeheartedly, I agree. But he’s not a victim here neither.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Wholeheartedly, I agree. But he’s not a victim here neither.
    He’s a victim of being exploited by an agent and team who had their interests in mind over Ozzie’s.

Obviously “being a victim” has orders of magnitude, and making $35M instead of $100M is pretty far down the scale of victimhood.

As usual, the nuance of the discussion is lost on the less intelligent folks spewing ignorant takes like “hey, he’s still rich so shut up”. If a widow sells her $100M ranch for $35M because her financial management team wanted to get their cut before she switched representation, she would still be a victim despite “being rich anyways”.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 04-12-2019 at 02:22 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    If a widow sells her $100M ranch for $35M because her financial management team wanted to get their cut before she switched representation, she would still be a victim despite “being rich anyways”.
    Yes and no. Obviously the 'he's rich either way so who cares' takes are simplistic and largely miss the point.

But in this scenario, she's a victim of sorts if she knows nothing of what is happening, signs over more power than she realizes, and gets taken to the cleaners.

She's not a victim (except of her own poor decision-making) if she knows the ranch is worth $100M, knows she's selling for way less, and signs off on it anyway. She would have the power to say no and get rid of that team at any point in the process.

So just like in this case you're assuming a feeble old woman who has no idea how things work, you're assuming an ignorant Ozzie who has little ability to think for himself.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    I’m going out on a limb and suggesting that if a player agrees to a contract that is widely accepted as the single worst contract for any current player, that yes, he doesn’t have the knowledge required to make these types of decisions on his own.

Doesn’t seem like a very large leap of logic to draw such a conclusion.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    I’m going out on a limb and suggesting that if a player agrees to a contract that is widely accepted as the single worst contract for any current player, that yes, he doesn’t have the knowledge required to make these types of decisions on his own.

Doesn’t seem like a very large leap of logic to draw such a conclusion.
    Fair enough. But you could say the same for anybody involved. Just like the agency likely has other motivations, Ozzie likely does as well.

I've said over and over his agent did a bad job at the very least on the option years tacked onto the end. There's no reason for those to be anywhere near that low, and it doesn't add any value to the deal on the player's end aside from the $4 million buyout. But even if the agent is bad, and even if the agent had other motivations, it's still up to the player (who is a 22-year-old adult and can think for himself) to evaluate his representation.

If they told him things about the negotiations and value that weren't true, then he likely can make a claim against them. Otherwise, everyone in the process is looking out for their own interests. Ozzie is a big boy and can figure this stuff out, I can't say for sure he was taken advantage of.