Thread: A question no one has ever answered for me

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    thought i'd pass this along
    //

Elizabeth McClellan ‏@popelizbet 27m
    If you're a Christian, Christ said your treatment of the poor equaled your treatment of Him. Without qualifiers about "deserving". #ebt
    ///

just sayin

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    thought i'd pass this along
    //

Elizabeth McClellan ‏@popelizbet 27m
    If you're a Christian, Christ said your treatment of the poor equaled your treatment of Him. Without qualifiers about "deserving". #ebt
    ///

just sayin
    Does this same person believe that abortion should be illegal?

Do you?
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    the discussion has gone from Obamacare to moochers to abortion?
    Why not wonder what the writer thought of the DH and whether it should be part of the NL game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Its pretty foolish to bring up that comment and not expect to be picked apart.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    the discussion has gone from Obamacare to moochers to abortion?
    Why not wonder what the writer thought of the DH and whether it should be part of the NL game.
    Might give you a chance to be correct for once. Maybe take advantage?
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    picked apart? what does abortion have to do with anything related to this thread?

Oh, I invoked Jesus ....

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ESP47 View Post
    Can you give me some examples of what benefits tax payers are receiving from the government for free? I might just be ignorant on the issue so I'd like to know what they are.

Also, if you don't have a job and are on welfare and other gov programs, how are you paying taxes? You might be paying sales tax when you go to the grocery store but you're paying sales tax with taxpayer money.

Why are you such a sympathizer? The poor do have it easy. What is so hard about not working? The rest of us have to spend 40+ hours a week at a place we don't want to be at while they stand in line a couple times a month and spend the other 99% doing nothing productive for society. No one attacks the guy who got laid off and has to go on unemployment or welfare to get back on his feet while he looks for another job. It's about the people that squeeze out multiple kids or do nothing to look for a job while spending their free paychecks on flat screens and smart phones. I don't want to trade places with them because I want a higher quality of life for myself and I don't want to be a leech on society.

In my opinion they need to be stricter on the people who are using gov assistance to live. It should suck so bad to be on gov assistance that you'll do anything to get a job. As of right now it's pretty easy. Especially for someone who's aspirations are to not work and still make money by not having money. Honestly it should be like when you're out of high school and still living at home with your parents where they are on your ass all the time about getting a job, going to school and moving out. Being on government assistance is like living at home with parents that just let you live in the basement while eating ho-ho's and playing xbox all day while never telling you that you need to go out and get a job or get a degree.
    I grew up about two notches above white trash in Minnesota in the 1960s and I've seen first hand how mental illness, ignorance, and substance abuse can keep families in a multi-generational cycle of poverty. Granted, poverty was a bit different then in that one could scrape by (barely) on an 80-acre farm, but even in a society that was more mobile then than now, it was difficult for many to extricate themselves from that cycle. I have done well for myself, but there was help for me at several junctures. I benefited from a strong family structure and the lack of that structure among today's poor is very troubling to me and I agree that it has to improve or we'll likely never see things get consistently better for the underclass in this country. But there were several junctures in my life when a helping hand was extended (not so much in terms of financial help--although college was a lot cheaper and those 3% loans from the federal government were truly gravy) and while I've always worked fairly hard, I've equally been lucky in that I was tapped on the shoulder or a door opened at just the right time. So I guess that's why I sympathize.

Regarding more strict treatment of welfare recipients, I think it's been tried several times and it's always been my impression that private industry really doesn't want to play (and I'm not going to blame them at a level) because the paperwork required of bringing on people can cause problems.

The only way this gets done is with a real and lasting commitment to education and the tying of education to other social services like Geoffrey Canada has done with the Harlem Children's Zone. But unless there is something "at the end of the rainbow" for those who show initiative and talent, the results of these efforts may also come to naught. Corporations can run things as they see fit. This is American and although some of you might doubt it from some of my posts, I am a capitalist. Minorities hold 16% of the seats of the corporate boards on the Fortune 100 and Fortune 500 companies while making up 37% of the population. I want to make it clear that I'm not for affirmative action on corporate boards, but the minority presence on those boards has to be more than window dressing. That would give kids in poverty, especially those in minority communities, role models and a view of a possible future.

As for government benefits you get for free, if you own a home and itemize, you receive a subsidy from the government equal to your marginal tax rate times your home mortgage interest deduction. In other words, if you have $10,000 in home mortgage interest and have a marginal tax rate of 28%, you receive a subsidy of $2,800 from the government. There are also tax credits in many states where the tax amount by the amount of certain purchases. We have a tax credit for educational expenses in Minnesota where if a family buys a computer for their kids education and they meet certain income guidelines, there taxes are reduced by that amount. I could go deeper on tax expenditures and some other notions as to how taxpayers get things from the government that they couldn't afford on their own, but I don't want to bore everyone and my guess is that those who won't agree with my original premise simply wouldn't be convinced by more examples.

When I started writing this response, I was tempted to get all wound up and let it fly, but that ain't my style. In other words, I won't be "dropping the mic." I'm old and I have truly benefited. I wouldn't want to be a young person or be raising a young family today. Things are very difficult right now and I want you to know that I can understand--and I'm not saying this in a patronizing way--why a lot of people are angry and frustrated. The country isn't working that well right now. I just think the poor get to be everyone's whipping post too often. Until we take a long look at Social Security, Medicare, and defense, we'll be treading water to a great extent. Other domestic spending, whether it's right or wrong, well-run or run by imbeciles, isn't central to the problem in my view. I agree that doesn't mean we shouldn't work hard to make sure those who are receiving assistance are truly worthy and that there are on-going efforts to improve people's lives as opposed to simply allowing them to remain in place. And I agree that no amount of money delivered to people can truly improve their lives on its own. I was a supporter of the Simpson/Bowles effort, but that landed like a lead balloon, largely because it required someone to make a decision and that doesn't appear to be happening in this environment.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

AerchAngel (10-14-2013), ESP47 (10-14-2013), Julio3000 (10-15-2013)

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    I applaud you on that post 50, I didn't want to copy and paste it.

As an African American we have issues with role models vs street cred vs babies out of wedlock. Democrats exploit this issue by demagogic principles and herding us to this conceptual inequality. They really do not want upstanding blacks unless they play in their system. This is why they try to destroy any Republican black that has success because it hurts their base. Those of us who are neither Democrats nor Republicans, which I am no party of either, we want the best for our kind but both sides get in the way and the Democrats are worse. They depend on our vote substantially so they make the system more likable if they keep these concepts in place.

I have seen generation of blacks on welfare with able body and smart people. They pump out kids like no other because like Hispanics, more people on welfare, the bigger pot for the family as a whole. Finally my generation (those born in the 60's) are finally getting it, abstaining from Democrats, not voting Republican either, and are willing to wait for a viable 3rd party to hear our voice and help our people as neither side will do it for us. One side want to exploit for votes a long as welfare is there while the other side want to exploit our wages if we do work.

Now, street cred issues is going to be much harder to get rid of. Again, media (liberal) thinks street cred is our culture. It is not, it has evolved to a culture of the wrong kind. My parents, Democrats but turning, said they had no issues like this in the 40's, 50's or even 60's, it was the 70's and the movies, media focusing on the inner city that started that crap.

Baby out of wedlock babies can be simple to fix, but I do not want to be called names on going that route.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Just read through this thread...

Everyone seems to misunderstand the issues at hand. We have a policy issue that breeds the welfare state. The government WANTS more dependent on them.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

AerchAngel (10-14-2013)

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Just read through this thread...

Everyone seems to misunderstand the issues at hand. We have a policy issue that breeds the welfare state. The government WANTS more dependent on them.
    Democrats will put their hands to their ears and stomp saying "This is not true, this is not true!"