Thread: Govt. Shutdown

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Zito just told us they're in cahoots
    You don't see the line Paul is going for?He wants to be between all of the Rs. It's a tightrope but he's done pretty well so far keeping both sides happy.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,782 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    You don't see the line Paul is going for?He wants to be between all of the Rs. It's a tightrope but he's done pretty well so far keeping both sides happy.
    Is that fair to Paul? If he votes for it, he's corrupt. If he votes against it, he's corrupt.

Seems like a no win to me

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Is that fair to Paul? If he votes for it, he's corrupt. If he votes against it, he's corrupt.

Seems like a no win to me
    He's corrupt because he's as big of a hypocrite as his Senior Senator of Kentucky. I give him credit, he's smart in the sense he hasn't taken this government shutdown thing and gone into kamikaze mode like Ted Cruz. Smart of him to let Ted Cruz self-destruct on National TV and be the poster-child for right-wing insanity, so he can move and position himself better for the 2016 run.
    Forever Fredi

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Good call Weso

5. The Following User Says Thank You to goldfly For This Useful Post:

weso1 (10-17-2013)

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CK86 View Post
    I'm amazed that Nancy Pelosi can deliver the votes every single time. Contrast that with Boehner.
    the biggest selling point is that being a democrat, you can actually become president one day

you can't say that if you are a republican so you are fighting to be the big dog in house cause you really can't get bigger than that arena on that side

Waiting for Free Agency acesfull86's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    910 Posts
    Well now that the Republicans are no longer holding the future of America hostage, that means today we're going to start talking about Obamacare...right? Right?

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,782 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithLockhart View Post
    He's corrupt because he's as big of a hypocrite as his Senior Senator of Kentucky. I give him credit, he's smart in the sense he hasn't taken this government shutdown thing and gone into kamikaze mode like Ted Cruz. Smart of him to let Ted Cruz self-destruct on National TV and be the poster-child for right-wing insanity, so he can move and position himself better for the 2016 run.
    Can you give an example of why he is corrupt?

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    As in, Pelosi is sleeping with Boehner?
    Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Oklahomahawk For This Useful Post:

The Chosen One (10-17-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by acesfull86 View Post
    Well now that the Republicans are no longer holding the future of America hostage, that means today we're going to start talking about Obamacare...right? Right?
    57 won't acknowledge real findings 17 days into the sign up. But hey, I heard Delaware got their first sign up yesterday, so thats good.
    Ivermectin Man

Waiting for Free Agency acesfull86's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    910 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    57 won't acknowledge real findings 17 days into the sign up. But hey, I heard Delaware got their first sign up yesterday, so thats good.
    1 / 917,092 in Delaware... not too shabby.

I also predict we're going to make significant and necessary changes to our spending habits....definitely not going to just kick this can down the road....

13. The Following User Says Thank You to acesfull86 For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (10-17-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by acesfull86 View Post
    1 / 917,092 in Delaware... not too shabby.

I also predict we're going to make significant and necessary changes to our spending habits....definitely not going to just kick this can down the road....
    This stat was broadcast on local radio drive show this morning.
    But consider - the same radio host (your "jerseys") little over 10 years ago was celebrating Mission Accomplished after 8 weeks in Iraq.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    This stat was broadcast on local radio drive show this morning.
    But consider - the same radio host (your "jerseys") little over 10 years ago was celebrating Mission Accomplished after 8 weeks in Iraq.
    I don't think Opie and Anthony have a jersey. If they do, I didn't realize it. I also listen to fantasy football radio, they have a jersey?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/nation...894_story.html

What does this have to do with Mision Accomplished? Nothing. Not one single thing... again with the deflection and jersey obsession.

Straight facts: Our carrier is raising rates 11\1, 12\1, and 1\1 to get to ACA rates. How is that good for American families? Address this and stop deflecting.

Why are they asking personal, financial, and medical questions? Has Huffpost told you your answer yet?
    Last edited by Tapate50; 10-17-2013 at 09:15 AM.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    92 Posts
    I'd like to know why a website that cost $634 million to develop doesn't work? I'd also like to know why the security on the site is considered so bad that you are putting your identity at risk for identity theft just by signing up?

This website cost more than Facebook, Twitter, instagram, and LinkedIn combined and it doesn't work at all.

What would you say to those of us who don't believe that government run healthcare will be effective or efficient? Is a botched website of all things not a good indicator for the likelihood of success?

Blame Bush.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    It's funny to find myself saying something nice about Boehner, since he's the nominal leader of a group who have collectively twisted into pretzels to avoid giving the president any kind of victory, almost regardless of consequence. Still, I have to say that he, when it's nut-cutting time, may be interested in actually governing. He tried to get a deal done in 2011, and I bet he'll try again. As in 2011, if he fails it will be because he can't deliver his caucus, not because he doesn't have a partner to work with. It blows my mind that lefties in this thread are getting scolded for partisanship and "jerseys" in the wake of the Tea Party jizzfest that just happened.

Seriously. The shutdown and default brinksmanship was 100% the choice of ONE faction of ONE party. They chose a fight that they could not win and that the public did not support.

Personally, I am a proponent of compromise, consensus, and negotiation. I don't like it when "my team" doesn't negotiate in good faith, or obstructs, or plays procedural games. As 50 said, way upthread, it's politics and it gonna happen. There was no reason for the WH to engage in meaningful negotiations with that group, and there was no way that group was going to let the Speaker do any actual work with the other side. Again, the right wing picked a stupid fight, and predictably lost it.

Right now, I think there is a consensus in the middle of the country that is ready and willing to approach some of the consequential issues: entitlement reform, immigration, etc. As it stands, there are too many goofs who won't let that happen, instead insisting that they have some kind of mandate to rule the country from its margins. I hope that 2014 changes that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CK86 View Post
    I'd like to know why a website that cost $634 million to develop doesn't work?
    The rollout was bad, and even embarrassing. Guess what? They'll fix it. I'm puzzled by peoples' willingness to call Obamacare a failure before it's implemented.

I'd also like to know why the security on the site is considered so bad that you are putting your identity at risk for identity theft just by signing up?

Can you provide a link?

What would you say to those of us who don't believe that government run healthcare will be effective or efficient?

I would ask them if the ACA equals "government run healthcare."

Is a botched website of all things not a good indicator for the likelihood of success?

No. Is it a guarantor of failure?

If Obamacare were really going to be such a flaming manure-pile, why would Republicans be trying so hard to hamstring it and delay its implementation? Seems like they'd just watch it crash and burn, then swoop in and save the day.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    [QUOTE=Tapate50;56659]I don't think Opie and Anthony have a jersey. If they do, I didn't realize it. I also listen to fantasy football radio, they have a jersey?
    Opie and Anthony --

What does this have to do with Mision Accomplished?
    Nothing. Not one single thing... again with the deflection and jersey obsession.

Because the same people that are yelling failure the loudest were the same people yelling Mission Accomplished the loudest. While both situations are / were still too recent to make that judgment
    The jersey reference is a tribute to my good friend . Personally I'm a skins n shirts guy

I guess you could add Mitt Romneys certain victory to the list of proclamations the same people got wrong
    Last edited by 57Brave; 10-17-2013 at 12:26 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    As in, Pelosi is sleeping with Boehner?
    They're not doing much sleeping, I hear.

Maybe Nancy can tell us if the, er, Speaker's Gavel is orange, too.

/wood, maybe forever.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    [QUOTE=57Brave;56689]
    I don't think Opie and Anthony have a jersey. If they do, I didn't realize it. I also listen to fantasy football radio, they have a jersey?
    Opie and Anthony --

What does this have to do with Mision Accomplished?
    Nothing. Not one single thing... again with the deflection and jersey obsession.

Because the same people that are yelling failure the loudest were the same people yelling Mission Accomplished the loudest. While both situations are / were still too recent to make that judgment
    The jersey reference is a tribute to my good friend . Personally I'm a skins n shirts guy

I guess you could add Mitt Romneys certain victory to the list of proclamations the same people got wrong
    Absolutely nothing in the above multicolored post addresses any direct information coming out about ACA that I posted. You didn't disappoint. More of the same deflecting....
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    It's funny to find myself saying something nice about Boehner, since he's the nominal leader of a group who have collectively twisted into pretzels to avoid giving the president any kind of victory, almost regardless of consequence. Still, I have to say that he, when it's nut-cutting time, may be interested in actually governing. He tried to get a deal done in 2011, and I bet he'll try again. As in 2011, if he fails it will be because he can't deliver his caucus, not because he doesn't have a partner to work with. It blows my mind that lefties in this thread are getting scolded for partisanship and "jerseys" in the wake of the Tea Party jizzfest that just happened.

Seriously. The shutdown and default brinksmanship was 100% the choice of ONE faction of ONE party. They chose a fight that they could not win and that the public did not support.

Personally, I am a proponent of compromise, consensus, and negotiation. I don't like it when "my team" doesn't negotiate in good faith, or obstructs, or plays procedural games. As 50 said, way upthread, it's politics and it gonna happen. There was no reason for the WH to engage in meaningful negotiations with that group, and there was no way that group was going to let the Speaker do any actual work with the other side. Again, the right wing picked a stupid fight, and predictably lost it.

Right now, I think there is a consensus in the middle of the country that is ready and willing to approach some of the consequential issues: entitlement reform, immigration, etc. As it stands, there are too many goofs who won't let that happen, instead insisting that they have some kind of mandate to rule the country from its margins. I hope that 2014 changes that.
    I agree on Boehner. I made a comment 57's informitive House thread that Dems need to be careful how they deal with him. His replacement could be worse and way more interested in being stubborn than Boehner.

Signed,

Can you be a conservative and not support the Tea Party? If not, I didn't get the memo.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    I agree on Boehner. I made a comment 57's informitive House thread that Dems need to be careful how they deal with him. His replacement could be worse and way more interested in being stubborn than Boehner.

Signed,

Can you be a conservative and not support the Tea Party? If not, I didn't get the memo.
    I guess the term gets tossed around pretty lazily.