Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A bad move then and now

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts

A bad move then and now

I criticized the Braves' quick unloading of Brian Matusz when they acquired his rights earlier this year. He has been injured and was not combat ready at the time, but his was a million dollar arm that they have seemed to want to collect.

The Cubs signed him and have slowly rehabbed through every level of their farm system. They have stretched him out as a starter and he worked five innings for Iowa in his last outing.

So far, all told, with the Cubs he has worked in nine total games (four starts) with a 4.24 ERA, with 33 strikeouts and only five walks in 23 innings. He's only 29 years old.

A missed opportunity, is all.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rico43 For This Useful Post:

CyYoung31 (07-22-2016), JohnAdcox (07-22-2016), jpx7 (07-21-2016), Southcack77 (07-21-2016), UNCBlue012 (07-31-2016), zitothebrave (07-21-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    I criticized the Braves' quick unloading of Brian Matusz when they acquired his rights earlier this year. He has been injured and was not combat ready at the time, but his was a million dollar arm that they have seemed to want to collect.

The Cubs signed him and have slowly rehabbed through every level of their farm system. They have stretched him out as a starter and he worked five innings for Iowa in his last outing.

So far, all told, with the Cubs he has worked in nine total games (four starts) with a 4.24 ERA, with 33 strikeouts and only five walks in 23 innings. He's only 29 years old.

I agree. Didn't understand releasing him. Or Bourn really, who has been decent.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (07-22-2016)

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,468 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post

Which is dumb for the Braves to do. Guys like Matusz should be the ones who we take a chance on them. Worst case scenario is that he sucks and we waste some time and resources.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    Yah... I get letting Bourn walk... he may be doing okay now, but he was atrocious with us for long enough and no one would trade for him. I never understood why we didn't give Matusz a chance.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    Said this two weeks ago. Said it when they cut him. Loved the trade though.

On BBA's Top 100 Prospects List PurpleBrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    110 Posts
    Guy is a Quad A player. Didn't miss out on anything

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleBrave View Post
    Guy is a Quad A player. Didn't miss out on anything
    Was he a quad A player when he was one of the better relievers in all of baseball in 2013-2015? Dude was the number 5 prospect in all of the majors at one point... had some injury issues... still only 29... if you don't think he's got higher potential, you're crazy.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,468 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Yah... I get letting Bourn walk... he may be doing okay now, but he was atrocious with us for long enough and no one would trade for him. I never understood why we didn't give Matusz a chance.
    The only "gripe" with letting Bourn walk is why bother? We keep Francoeur or Stubbs and pay them a salary (even if it's miniscule) and eat all of Bourn's contract for essentially no gain. They're not gonna help us win, they're not gonna fill the stadium, it doesn't matter. Only thing I could see being worth it was getting someone like Ichiro who's going for milestones. Otherwise you keep Bourn and as the season shook out, he's been acceptable and we probably could have saved a few million dollars by trading hima nd eating a portion of his salary.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

11. The Following User Says Thank You to zitothebrave For This Useful Post:

Horsehide Harry (07-21-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    110 Posts
    Was he a quad A player when he was one of the better relievers in all of baseball in 2013-2015? Dude was the number 5 prospect in all of the majors at one point... had some injury issues... still only 29... if you don't think he's got higher potential, you're crazy.

Better relievers in baseball? Come on.

While I'll give you he was better than a quad A player the past 3 years he's still pretty average. His old prospect ranking at this point means nothing. I can tell you how his adventures as a starter will go. Spoiler alert: not good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    The only "gripe" with letting Bourn walk is why bother? We keep Francoeur or Stubbs and pay them a salary (even if it's miniscule) and eat all of Bourn's contract for essentially no gain. They're not gonna help us win, they're not gonna fill the stadium, it doesn't matter. Only thing I could see being worth it was getting someone like Ichiro who's going for milestones. Otherwise you keep Bourn and as the season shook out, he's been acceptable and we probably could have saved a few million dollars by trading hima nd eating a portion of his salary.
    Stubbs I get as a WTF move... but Frenchy has actually been a pretty good platoon/bench/role player

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Right, they ate a big salary to have a few weeks of Stubbs. Bourn had no trade value at the time, but the point of keeping him would have been to see if he turned into an asset that could be moved. Turns out maybe he would have been worth something...not much perhaps. A minor issue though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    110 Posts
    Obliterated tonight

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    I'd have kept him and seen what he could do.

I also don't quite understand why they move Grilli at the low point of his value, but I guess they need the roster spot for some reason. he's been pretty good for Toronto.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleBrave View Post
    Obliterated tonight
    Yeah, he was. Sorta puts a period on this thread, doesn't it?

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    He's not a starter. I would have kept him as a pen option, and then see if he could develop some value.

Agreed that Grilli was dealt way too early. He could no doubt bring back more now than he did in the Toronto deal

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Sean Burroughs - #4 in 2002
    Wilson Betemit - #8 in 2002
    Jesse Foppert - #5 in 2003
    Casey Kotchman - #6 in 2005
    Andy Marte - #9 in 2005
    Brandon Wood - #3 in 2006
    Lastings Milledge - #9 in 2006

'Nuff said?
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SidSlid92 View Post
    He's not a starter. I would have kept him as a pen option, and then see if he could develop some value.

Agreed that Grilli was dealt way too early. He could no doubt bring back more now than he did in the Toronto deal
    This has got to be one of the most ridiculous criticisms I've seen here yet. Everybody and their brother bitched that we waited TOO LONG to trade him last year, now they're complaining that we traded him too early. Grilli looked like *hit when he was dealt, and there were no signs that he was getting better - none.

Complaining that he was traded too early is just looking for something to complain about IMO.

They moved him because Vizcaino was pitching MUCH better, and they were ready to hand the reigns over to him - sometimes things are as simple as they appear to be.
    Last edited by clvclv; 08-01-2016 at 07:00 AM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Sean Burroughs - #4 in 2002
    Wilson Betemit - #8 in 2002
    Jesse Foppert - #5 in 2003
    Casey Kotchman - #6 in 2005
    Andy Marte - #9 in 2005
    Brandon Wood - #3 in 2006
    Lastings Milledge - #9 in 2006

'Nuff said?
    Hey, Kotchman was worth trading for a prime Mark Teixeira once upon a time.

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    This has got to be one of the most ridiculous criticisms I've seen here yet. Everybody and their brother bitched that we waited TOO LONG to trade him last year, now they're complaining that we traded him too early. Grilli looked like *hit when he was dealt, and there were no signs that he was getting better - none.

Complaining that he was traded too early is just looking for something to complain about IMO.

They moved him because Vizcaino was pitching MUCH better, and they were ready to hand the reigns over to him - sometimes things are as simple as they appear to be.
    You trade players at their peak value. Just because Coppy wet the bed and waited too long last year to move him doesn't mean you ship him out at your first opportunity this year. You don't trade low on players. Since the move, he's thrown 19 innings with 30 k's and 2.29 era. You can't tell me a contending team wouldn't be interested in that

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SidSlid92 View Post
    You trade players at their peak value. Just because Coppy wet the bed and waited too long last year to move him doesn't mean you ship him out at your first opportunity this year. You don't trade low on players. Since the move, he's thrown 19 innings with 30 k's and 2.29 era. You can't tell me a contending team wouldn't be interested in that
    They basically just cut him considering the "prospect" that was returned and quickly dropped.

They also did not have to keep him in the closer role if they retained him on the roster. He's turned out to have something left. Michael Bourn did as well, and they cut him for Drew Stubbs. Who was hardly the answer as the fifth OF/platoon and pinch hitter.

there are minor complaints. The Braves probably would not have gotten much for any of these guys, but perhaps they'd have gotten something. Sort of crazy what some players have returned. Even another reliever true prospect far away would have been something. Minor complaint though. Minor.