Page 46 of 52 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 Trade Deadline Rumors and Moves

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Teams passed on Sale and Archer in addition to Teheran. The contending teams made the judgment it made more sense for them to go after a lower tier of starting pitching and to improve their pens. They simply saw that as a more cost-efficient way of improving their pitching.
    Sale and Archer only became "available" when the sellers' market got to insane levels. Those guys were never really going to move, and are a much more valuable than Teheran. All the pitchers that were supposed to be traded (like Matt Moore and Rich Hill) were traded, except Julio. Coppy couldn't even figure out a way to unload JJ, in the name of "finishing strong".

Teheran is on the Braves for the same reason Kemp is...to sell tickets in 2017. Anyone that thinks otherwise is naive and fooling themselves.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Teams passed on Sale and Archer in addition to Teheran. The contending teams made the judgment it made more sense for them to go after a lower tier of starting pitching and to improve their pens. They simply saw that as a more cost-efficient way of improving their pitching.
    Given what relievers cost, I'm not sure I'd say it was cheaper.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    531 Posts
    So, in other words, the new ballpark in 2017 is a blessing (in starting this rebuild) and a curse (in not selling off pieces when you need to just to put butts in seats which will only last a month in 2017).

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Sale and Archer only became "available" when the sellers' market got to insane levels. Those guys were never really going to move, and are a much more valuable than Teheran. All the pitchers that were supposed to be traded (like Matt Moore and Rich Hill) were traded, except Julio. Coppy couldn't even figure out a way to unload JJ, in the name of "finishing strong".

Teheran is on the Braves for the same reason Kemp is...to sell tickets in 2017. Anyone that thinks otherwise is naive and fooling themselves.
    After hearing Coppy a couple of times I'd say the guy is a bit of a salesman and excuse maker. Doesn't mean he's not good but I didn't really get a great vibe off the Keri podcast in particular.

With Johnson, my guess is he clears waiver and braves might still get a token prospect out of him.

I think failing to trade Viz might be the big missed opportunity of the season. I can buy that they just didn't get a strong offer for Teheran.

No one really seems to believe in Teheran that much outside of braves fandom.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WaitingFor2017 View Post
    I don't see AJP getting released at all. He provides too much veteran leadership (even though the 25-man roster is already made of 12 other veterans).
    More importantly they have no one better to promote.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    They haven't really tried to build a winner at the MLB level.

I don't think they believed they would be good last year or this year and I don't think they intended to try to be.

Not really sure what makes you think they did much to try this past offseason. Pretty clearly broadcast that they were signing short term assets to possibly trade.

I'm not sure they really intend to try next year either as it looks like they may be unwilling to give up much of significance.

This would be a good thing. They can't possibly contend.
    Every single MLB level roster decision they have made the last 2 years has been terrible.

Do you think they are suddenly going to start making good evaluations at the MLB level?

Can you name a good MLB acquisition the Braves have made other than backup catchers? I will name the terrible choices I can think of off the top of my head:

1. Markakis deal - his power never came back, and it never will.
    2. Olivera trade - they thought they were getting a 5/6 hole hitter at 3B...he can't even play 3B...or hit.
    3. Garcia at 3B over someone like Freese - the Braves are the ONLY people who needed to see more of Garcia.
    4. AJP this year - he has been terrible, and everyone knew he would be terrible.
    5. Kemp trade - he is a terrible player, but will hit 30 HRs to amuse the ignorant fans who show up to the new fun center.
    6. Now they say they are going to "finish strong" this season.

And you think a group of minds that made those awful assessments is suddenly going to put together a winning roster? Seriously?

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    Would have loved to get Liriano, McGuire and Ramirez like the Jays did. Basically bought 2 prospects similar to Touki deal. Coppy should have been all over that. McGuire a decent C prospect and Ramirez a legit OF prospect.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    You can say this... but there's no evidence to support it being true.

All we know is coppy was adamant about not trading him for anything. He didn't.

I find it hard believe we couldn't have gotten a great haul after seeing what some of these pitchers went for.
    One piece of evidence is rival gms saying Teheran was being shopped and at least one saying that he could get Teheran if he wanted to meet Atlanta's price after Coppy started saying he wouldn't be traded.

I think there is as much evidence that he was offered out there as there is that he wasn't unless your criteria is front office double speak.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SidSlid92 View Post
    Would have loved to get Liriano, McGuire and Ramirez like the Jays did. Basically bought 2 prospects similar to Touki deal. Coppy should have been all over that. McGuire a decent C prospect and Ramirez a legit OF prospect.
    Yes, McGuire alone. Though maybe not the best to take on pitching project the Pirates want desperately to unload. Still he could fill innings nothing else.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts
    One piece of evidence is rival gms saying Teheran was being shopped and at least one saying that he could get Teheran if he wanted to meet Atlanta's price after Coppy started saying he wouldn't be traded.
    I'm not on the we totally shut down on trading Julio no matter what bandwagon myself, but do you happen to have a link to this?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts

You have gone off the deep end on this.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to smootness For This Useful Post:

Chico (08-01-2016)

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts
    Yes, McGuire alone. Though maybe not the best to take on pitching project the Pirates want desperately to unload. Still he could fill innings nothing else.
    He's only signed through 2017 at 13 mil a year, was a pretty awesome deal for the Blue Jays. You'd think it would be the type of deal we'd be all over given the open payroll we have next year.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by auyushu View Post
    I'm not on the we totally shut down on trading Julio no matter what bandwagon myself, but do you happen to have a link to this?
    http://www.talkingchop.com/2016/7/18...-julio-teheran

15. The Following User Says Thank You to smootness For This Useful Post:

auyushu (08-01-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by auyushu View Post
    I can't seem to find it, but the quote was from a GM and it was literally along the lines of, "I could get Teheran if I wanted to give up the package the Braves are asking, but I don't think he is worth that package". It was after Coppy said they weren't trading him, and the quote was in response to a question about Julio no longer being available.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    154 Posts

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,987 Posts
    Yep. I guess Chicago are losers as well for not trading Sale. Because this offseason's pitching market is going to be just so deep!!!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

clvclv (08-01-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,987 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    I'm ok with them keeping Julio. JJ??....I just can't even wrap my brain around that crap.
    That can still trade JJ at any point. No non-contending team is going to claim him.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,987 Posts

You are delusional.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Orphan Black View Post
    Still amazes me that anyone's interested in him.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Hysterical Girlfriend
    That Storms Out and
    Returns the Next Day
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    Puig is one of the Cubans right? Seems some of these guys have some really entitled attitudes.