Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Most dissapointing prospects

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts

Most dissapointing prospects

Every year we get new exciting names added into the organization through trades/signings/draft.... but every year certain guys fall off the map and remove themselves --- or diminish --- their future with the team. Among prospects who are your biggest disappointments this year?

For me;

1. Aaron Blair
    Guy was a top-100 prospect and somebody that was supposed to be able to step into a ML rotation and perform adequately this season, I think Coppy was planning on Blair fulfilling his potential and become a MOR arm for us... not only didn't that happen, but he hasn't exactly been great at AAA after being demoted either.

2. Braxton Davidson
    Stlll young but the strikeouts are obscene (171Ks 402 ABs) and he's slashing .224/.338/.366.

3. Zach Bird
    Not that he was a great prospect, but he was decently regarded when he came over in the HO deal and supposedly had a high-90s fastball --- if nothing else there was solid potential for a good bullpen arm. And then he went and did this; 8.87 ERA with more walks than strikeouts.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    Andy Marte.

Saw the Mets and D-Wright and thought we're gonna have the two best 3B in baseball dueling it out for the next decade.

When he came up he looked terrible.

It worked out because Chipper ended up being solid for the next 7 years, but man I think we all thought Andruw 2005 would stay like with us for another few years and that Marte was going to be a middle of the order elite 3B.

Edit: Just realized you said this year and not all time.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Sims would be on mine. He ended last year on a high note and started the year the same way and then just bam back to his old ways.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    Benintendi, had a great year but continues to not be on our team.

5. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Oklahomabrave For This Useful Post:

CJ9 (08-25-2016), CyYoung31 (08-25-2016), Gary82 (08-25-2016), JohnAdcox (08-25-2016), jpx7 (08-25-2016), Julio3000 (08-25-2016), yeezus (08-25-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    Sims would be on mine. He ended last year on a high note and started the year the same way and then just bam back to his old ways.
    Just a heads up that Sims has 2.45 ERA in Mississippi and an ERA of 2.51 over his last ten. I know he struggled in Gwinnett, but he's actually had a solid year for the most part. His [shorter] stint at Gwinett hurt him, as well as the team's horrible defense! haha

7. The Following User Says Thank You to UNCBlue012 For This Useful Post:

Hudson2 (08-25-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    ba had ho at 55 in their pre-season list

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    Just a heads up that Sims has 2.45 ERA in Mississippi and an ERA of 2.51 over his last ten. I know he struggled in Gwinnett, but he's actually had a solid year for the most part. His [shorter] stint at Gwinett hurt him, as well as the team's horrible defense! haha
    The problem is he has 55 k / 36 bb in those 57 innings.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    All of them

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,362 Posts
    Blair for me. he was dominate before getting shelled in the majors and hasn't been the same since.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Brett Cumberland - I know it's just his first taste of pro ball, but he's not exactly off to a great start.

Lucas Herbert - Maybe the broken bone is still effecting him, but certainly he didn't have a great year.
    thank you weso1!

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to weso1 For This Useful Post:

bravesfanMatt (08-25-2016), NYCBrave (08-25-2016)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,362 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    Brett Cumberland - I know it's just his first taste of pro ball, but he's not exactly off to a great start.

Lucas Herbert - Maybe the broken bone is still effecting him, but certainly he didn't have a great year.
    I was coming back to mention these guys.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Blair for me. he was dominate before getting shelled in the majors and hasn't been the same since.
    Blair is probably mine as well. It legitimately seems like a mind thing to me.

Still Playing the Waiting Game DaneHill's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    268 Posts
    First half of the season, I was most disappointed in Riley with all the strikeouts and lack of HRs. Was just hoping, after last season's phenomenal debut, that he would pick it up from there for a full season and have 25+ homers by now. So it was a bitter pill seeing all the strikeouts and all. Very glad to see him picking it up here over the past month or so. But my expectations of him are considerably lower now overall.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,048 Posts
    1- Braxton Davidson- I was hoping he'd break out this year but instead went in the other direction. Reminiscent of Cody Johnson.

2- Greg Bird- I was hoping he'd capitalize on his arm, maybe move to the pen, and look like an option as a reliever for next season. He's completely collapsed.

3- Andrew Thurman- Just never got over the bus crash.

I wouldn't include Sims as a disappointment. He's still showing incredible stuff and racking up the K's. He's just not taken the step forward everyone wanted. A lot of other guys have taken steps back.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomabrave View Post
    Benintendi, had a great year but continues to not be on our team.
    Right. As an Arkansas fan I liked that dude for awhile. OH well.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

DirkPiggler (08-25-2016)

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post

Herbert should never have started at Rome. He's basically jumped from High School to A ball. He wasn't ready. Should have started back out in the Gcl.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    I'm disappointed in Blair, but I have not lost faith in him. I think he'll have a bounce back year next season. It wasn't a big decline. It was just all of the sudden major suckage.

The ones I've lost faith in are Bird, Davidson, Hebert, and Sims. Bird isn't even on the prospect radar anymore. Davidson still has a shot, but it's seeming less and less likely he's the gonna be anything more than a bench player. Hebert is looking like a career backup. Sims is looking like a future late inning reliever to me, although I still hold out some hope for him.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    487 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    I'm disappointed in Blair, but I have not lost faith in him. I think he'll have a bounce back year next season. It wasn't a big decline. It was just all of the sudden major suckage.

The ones I've lost faith in are Bird, Davidson, Hebert, and Sims. Bird isn't even on the prospect radar anymore. Davidson still has a shot, but it's seeming less and less likely he's the gonna be anything more than a bench player. Hebert is looking like a career backup. Sims is looking like a future late inning reliever to me, although I still hold out some hope for him.
    This is an interesting thread. I agree with a lot of observations here.

I think there is an element of disappointment with players who we thought might step up, who didn't. I think Blair had a big set-back, but has a good chance to bounce back. At one time we were hearing that he could be as good as Shelby Miller was for us. Certainly part of the problem is that our system is so much stronger than it was... That guys who were once, not great, but the best we had have been passed by. They didn't develop into big time players and the new guys in the system are just better.

Of course, we knew that guys like Braxton had to step it up in order to make it, and we hoped he would. If D. Peterson had not emerged, would we be looking more closely at Davidson? Who knows.

The thing I like best is that the system is so much better that guys we were hoping for before are now afterthoughts.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mfree80 View Post
    This is an interesting thread. I agree with a lot of observations here.

I think there is an element of disappointment with players who we thought might step up, who didn't. I think Blair had a big set-back, but has a good chance to bounce back. At one time we were hearing that he could be as good as Shelby Miller was for us. Certainly part of the problem is that our system is so much stronger than it was... That guys who were once, not great, but the best we had have been passed by. They didn't develop into big time players and the new guys in the system are just better.

Of course, we knew that guys like Braxton had to step it up in order to make it, and we hoped he would. If D. Peterson had not emerged, would we be looking more closely at Davidson? Who knows.

The thing I like best is that the system is so much better that guys we were hoping for before are now afterthoughts.
    Yeah, putting a lot of hopes in Sims, Hursh, and Davidson was kinda depressing

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,362 Posts
    Sims as a reliever is not a bad thing. he could notch out a very nice career that way. Not saying move him now.. but I like it as a fall back.