Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Braves sign Sean Rodriguez

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Old school guys aren't being pushed out. Old school guys who are too stubborn to utilize all information are
    I think half the league having Ivy School GM's says otherwise

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    I should know this, but how quickly must the Braves create an opening on the 40-man roster for Rodriguez. The roster on Braves.com has not be updated.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    I should know this, but how quickly must the Braves create an opening on the 40-man roster for Rodriguez. The roster on Braves.com has not be updated.
    Kinda wonder if they have to at the moment with all the CBA issues going on.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Signing Sean Rodriguez to a 2-year deal does not mean Albies is gone. Goodness, people.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to smootness For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (11-25-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Signing Sean Rodriguez to a 2-year deal does not mean Albies is gone. Goodness, people.
    No one said it did...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    I think the combination of Rodriguez and TD might signal Albies has become a tradeable asset. We all know that prospects serve two purposes. Alies value to another team at SS may exceed his value to us at 2B. If that's the case you have to conside trading him.
    Natural Immunity Croc

8. The Following User Says Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

gamecock4braves (11-25-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    Very good question. Do they just have to do it before opening day? Or sooner? If the guy is signed, what's the rush?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    No one said it did...
    Several people suggested it could mean exactly that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    No... people discussed whether that could be a possibility. A fair discussion.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    The presence of a Jace/SRod platoon absolutely increases the chances Albies is dealt. It certainly doesn't make it likely, or a good idea, but it definitely increases the chances.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    I think the combination of Rodriguez and TD might signal Albies has become a tradeable asset. We all know that prospects serve two purposes. Alies value to another team at SS may exceed his value to us at 2B. If that's the case you have to conside trading him.
    This is correct. If another team values Albies as a starting caliber SS, his value to the Braves might be maximized by trading him rather than keeping him to play 2b.

This is the same logic that leads one to conclude one of Mallex or Ender should be traded to a team in need of a starting CFer.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    He's the next Jose Bautista? I'm no stat head, but a simple glance at his K% and his BB% pretty much disputes that comparison. Rodriguez' power numbers look like they've been inflated by a "close your eyes and swing really hard" strategy.

PS--You don't trade Albies to make room in the line-up for Sean Rodriguez.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    He's the next Jose Bautista? I'm no stat head, but a simple glance at his K% and his BB% pretty much disputes that comparison. Rodriguez' power numbers look like they've been inflated by a "close your eyes and swing really hard" strategy.

I don't think anyone has said that. But I do think the Rodriguez can be an above average second baseman for the next year + until we see if TD is a player.

We need to get a TOR pitcher at some point in the next few years. There aren't many that check all the boxes like Sale does. Who knows if we have another chance like this for another three years.
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    The presence of a Jace/SRod platoon absolutely increases the chances Albies is dealt. It certainly doesn't make it likely, or a good idea, but it definitely increases the chances.
    I disagree. I don't think having Sean Rodriguez factors in at all to any discussions about Albies.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Not to bring facts into the discussion, but here are Castros number of games played by month last season:

April/March 21
    May 22
    June 16
    July 18
    August 16
    Sept/Oct 20

That looks like a typical workload for a starting catcher. Harris didn't take any games away from Castro last season. The Astros upgraded offensively with Mac while giving up very little defensively.
    He started roughly 75 percent of the games through May 30. Only 57 percent after that. A difference of nearly 20 games. That's pretty substantial.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    I disagree. I don't think having Sean Rodriguez factors in at all to any discussions about Albies.
    I sure as heck hope not. We've sat through two years of really crappy baseball on the promise that our top-drawer younger guys will make us forget all of that. Moving Albies would be a lousy punch-line to a really bad joke.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts

I guess you forgot how mediocre and bad Bautista was before he broke out in Toronto. Also, way to skew what people have actually said.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    I guess you forgot how mediocre and bad Bautista was before he broke out in Toronto. Also, way to skew what people have actually said.
    There was mention of Donaldson and Bautista earlier in the thread about how they had turned it around and that Rodriguez may have turned it around. Bautista was 25 when he got his feet under him and although he performed unevenly when first hitting Toronto, he broke out at age 28. Donaldson was 27 when he broke out. Rodriguez is 31 and this was his best season by far and hitters don't usually find it past age 30. To mention either of those two in the same breath as Rodriguez is about as close to ridiculous as one can get. Rodriguez is a part-time player and if he gets 400 ABs, we'll be as bad as we were this year.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

Freshmaker (11-25-2016), Hawk (11-25-2016), nsacpi (11-25-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    There was mention of Donaldson and Bautista earlier in the thread about how they had turned it around and that Rodriguez may have turned it around. Bautista was 25 when he got his feet under him and although he performed unevenly when first hitting Toronto, he broke out at age 28. Donaldson was 27 when he broke out. Rodriguez is 31 and this was his best season by far and hitters don't usually find it past age 30. To mention either of those two in the same breath as Rodriguez is about as close to ridiculous as one can get. Rodriguez is a part-time player and if he gets 400 ABs, we'll be as bad as we were this year.
    Most level headed people here were advocating a platoon with Jace. Which would be a productive second base position.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    148 Posts
    I sure as heck hope not. We've sat through two years of really crappy baseball on the promise that our top-drawer younger guys will make us forget all of that. Moving Albies would be a lousy punch-line to a really bad joke.
    I know I'm in the minority, but I think Albies will be a better offensive player then Dansby after is all said and done.
    I'm not saying I don't think Swanson is a really great player, I just look at Albies age and what he's done in the minors and believe he will be a better hitter.
    People seem down on him for being moved to 2nd.yes I understand it's a less important position WAR wise and such then shortstop but if he hits like I think he will then we would have a perfect top of the order with he,Dansby and Freeman.I wouldn't trade him unless it brought back an ace.If we trade prospects it should be from our depth of pitching instead of our scarce position players.