Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Big Three--What is the Reasonable Upside

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    You want in on this bet too? I'm running out of time to get you idiots set up with coordinating signatures.
    That laugh wasn't because I don't believe you. I don't care if you're being honest or not, the fact that you felt compelled to post it at all is what I was laughing at.

I know a few guys like you. They're all loads and loads of fun.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to smootness For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (03-09-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    That laugh wasn't because I don't believe you. I don't care if you're being honest or not, the fact that you felt compelled to post it at all is what I was laughing at.

I know a few guys like you. They're all loads and loads of fun.
    So, no bet? Seems my plans for signature fun have been dashed.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    So, no bet? Seems my plans for signature fun have been dashed.
    I am not giving you my address so you can send me your college transcripts, if that's what you're asking.

Again, I couldn't care less whether what you posted is accurate, or where you went to college, or what your grades there were. It's probably more hilarious if what you posted is accurate.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    I am not giving you my address so you can send me your college transcripts, if that's what you're asking.

Again, I couldn't care less whether what you posted is accurate, or where you went to college, or what your grades there were. It's probably more hilarious if what you posted is accurate.
    Agreed, hilarious comparing brain pans with you and Matt. It reminds me of the time I let my 8 year old nephew bring his BB gun to the shooting range when we were sighting in our rifles. It was adorable! Your BB gun intellects are almost as cute!

What you saw Matt do is the typical response when someone is completely outclassed. First, they call the other person a liar. Then when they are offered proof, they say they aren't interested. It is a very common defense mechanism, and Matt was textbook.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 03-07-2017 at 04:32 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Agreed, hilarious comparing brain pans with you and Matt. It reminds me of the time I let my 8 year old nephew bring his BB gun to the shooting range when we were sighting in our rifles. It was adorable! Your BB gun intellects are almost as cute!

What you saw Matt do is the typical response when someone is completely outclassed. First, they call the other person a liar. Then when they are offered proof, they say they aren't interested. It is a very common defense mechanism, and Matt was textbook.
    Cool, man.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Time to change your signature alert.
    It's already been done. You had plenty of time to give me something else and you failed. Not my fault.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    It's already been done. You had plenty of time to give me something else and you failed. Not my fault.
    Um no, when the bet was spelled out I told what it was supposed to be: "Baseball Knowledge Index: 2.4"

I'm sure you'll renege on the bet though, not surprising in the least.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Um no, when the bet was spelled out I told what it was supposed to be: "Baseball Knowledge Index: 2.4"

I'm sure you'll renege on the bet though, not surprising in the least.
    You go back and find the exact post where you said that to me.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    You go back and find the exact post where you said that to me.
    OK dum dum:

http://www.chopcountry.com/forums/sh...t=6056&page=39

Page 39, post #778 in the offseason thread.

I swear, nothing but stupidity from you.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    OK dum dum:

Hey now. You had a good streak going let's not get back to that.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    OK dum dum:

Fair enough. I didn't remember but there's a good chance I was pretty drunk. If things stay constant then I will always live up to my terms.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,029 Posts
    I try to imagine what it would have taken for me to get a C+ in college, and I can't even imagine it. While I was acing (and then assistant teaching) classes like Atomic Physics, Differential Equations, Thermodynamics, Material Science, C++, and Artificial Intelligence at a Top 100 school, you were struggling through an introductory freshman seminar just to get a passing grade at some second rate "college". "Not trying" got me an A- in those classes, which was OK because my end goal was a 3.7 GPA and graduating Cum Laude (with honors).

A lot of the disagreements on this board are beginning to make sense now. Thank you for the info. It really helps me understand exactly what I'm dealing with when I come here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    There are brain surgeons I consider to be idiots so it doesn't matter what grades you got in college. Generally the smarter people are the less they brag about it and the more they realize how much they don't know. Stupid people are usually the ones who go around trying to convince people how smart they are.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Back to the thread topic...

From my POV, I would say that all three can only hope for incremental improvement as an upside. There's no real "next level" for any of them. The hope for Freeman and Inciarte should be that they continue to play as well as he did in the second half last year and Teheran that he is as good as he was all last year. I think it unlikely, but not impossible, that one of the three will incrementally improve on where they were but not all three. So, you may see for instance Freeman hit 40 HR for the first time but he's not going to hit 60.

That's why I have long said that 2017 is destined to be another rebuilding year no matter how much the FO says that it won't be. The FA brought in have no real upside either. The best you can hope to get from them realistically is what they have been while age and injury concerns says that it's unlikely to even maintain. The young talent such as Swanson HAS the potential to take a "next level" step but even if he does can it be enough? Unlikely.

Then you have the other veterans on the team such as Kemp, Markakis, Flowers, Jace, Garcia, Johnson, etc. most geriatric guys with the best years behind them and more prone to "next level" down than hold in place y/y or to take a "next level" up.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    There are brain surgeons I consider to be idiots so it doesn't matter what grades you got in college. Generally the smarter people are the less they brag about it and the more they realize how much they don't know. Stupid people are usually the ones who go around trying to convince people how smart they are.
    You're right, I'm Ben Carson-level stupid.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,477 Posts
    I still hope we deal Ender for a corner OF bat in the next year or two. The cheap contract he's on should be really valuable. I know it's unlikely, but with Acuna and Pache being hyped as much as they have this offseason, I think it makes sense to trade Ender for a corner OF since we don't have any obvious ones coming.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    Hey look, the brilliant tax guy is back! Or rather he's the "lawyer" that isn't smart enough to handle court cases. Welcome back bud!

Your tax gig will be fully automated in a decade or two by my fellow software engineers, so hopefully you have your retirement plans in order.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    Back to the thread topic...

From my POV, I would say that all three can only hope for incremental improvement as an upside. There's no real "next level" for any of them. The hope for Freeman and Inciarte should be that they continue to play as well as he did in the second half last year and Teheran that he is as good as he was all last year. I think it unlikely, but not impossible, that one of the three will incrementally improve on where they were but not all three. So, you may see for instance Freeman hit 40 HR for the first time but he's not going to hit 60.

That's why I have long said that 2017 is destined to be another rebuilding year no matter how much the FO says that it won't be. The FA brought in have no real upside either. The best you can hope to get from them realistically is what they have been while age and injury concerns says that it's unlikely to even maintain. The young talent such as Swanson HAS the potential to take a "next level" step but even if he does can it be enough? Unlikely.

Then you have the other veterans on the team such as Kemp, Markakis, Flowers, Jace, Garcia, Johnson, etc. most geriatric guys with the best years behind them and more prone to "next level" down than hold in place y/y or to take a "next level" up.
    I'm not sure anyone has suggested that Freeman can hit 60 or that we need him to do so. I would argue that Inciarte and Freeman maintaining their second half levels from last year would absolutely count as improvement. I don't expect either to do that, but if they could, it would take them to a new level as a player.

I do agree that 2017 won't be a contending year. I'm not totally sure how to qualify whether it should be considered a rebuilding year, but I think we'll be anywhere from .500 or a tick above to several games under. But yes, we won't contend this year, so in that sense it's another step in the rebuilding process.

IF Inciarte and Freeman did maintain their second half levels for a full season, we would certainly have a better chance to contend, though. If we could get 2+ WAR from every starter in the rotation, including 3-4 from a couple, then get 8 WAR from Freeman and 5 WAR from Inciarte, you're in a pretty good place. That would put you around 28 WAR including a decent pen. So you'd need around 12 more WAR to put you in prime 'we can realistically contend' territory. Get 3-4 from Dansby, 1 each from Markakis and Kemp, and you've at least given yourself a chance of getting there. You'd still need really good production from 2B (either Phillips or Albies) and 3B/C, which is quite unlikely.

But if Inciarte and Freeman maintain their 2nd halves (again, not likely), then you may put yourself in a position to grab the WC. You still have to squint to see it, though.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    I still hope we deal Ender for a corner OF bat in the next year or two. The cheap contract he's on should be really valuable. I know it's unlikely, but with Acuna and Pache being hyped as much as they have this offseason, I think it makes sense to trade Ender for a corner OF since we don't have any obvious ones coming.
    No thank you. I think you at least wait longer than that. Acuna can play a corner OF spot, you don't have to trade him just because Acuna is a CF. If Acuna is ready and Inciarte is still giving you ~4 WAR, you'd have to get a significant corner OF in return for it to be worth it, and I doubt you could.

Just keep them both and prosper.