Thread: Overreach

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts

Overreach

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BedellBrave For This Useful Post:

AerchAngel (12-08-2016), FreemanFan (12-10-2016), Hawk (12-08-2016)

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,756 Posts
    Agreed... Since 2012...

Democrats and liberals have: booed the inclusion of God in their platform at the 2012 convention (this is disputed, but it is the perception); endorsed a regulation that would allow transgendered students to use the bathroom and locker room corresponding to their identity; attempted to force small businesses to cover drugs they believe induce abortions; attempted to force nuns to provide contraceptive coverage; forced Brendan Eich to step down as chief executive officer of Mozilla due to his opposition to marriage equality; fined a small Christian bakery over $140,000 for refusing to bake a cake for a same-sex wedding; vigorously opposed a law in Indiana that would provide protections against similar regulations – despite having overwhelmingly supported similar laws when they protected Native American religious rights – and then scoured the Indiana countryside trying to find a business that would be affected by the law before settling upon a small pizza place in the middle of nowhere and harassing the owners. In 2015, the United States solicitor general suggested that churches might lose their tax exempt status if they refused to perform same-sex marriages. In 2016, the Democratic nominee endorsed repealing the Hyde Amendment, thereby endorsing federal funding for elective abortions.

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    “When you find yourself in the Supreme Court adverse to the Little Sisters of the Poor you might consider whether maybe you have pushed a little too far.”
    i have no problem pushing against anyone who fights to deny equal rights to a fellow citizen

don't care if their group name is "Little Sisters of the poor" or "If you disagree with us, you are hoping Children get cancer" or whatever you want to use as an example

this isn't a bendable issue and i don't agree with a dream deferred

then they shouldn't open businesses for the public in this society if they think someone has the right to just treat certain americans as 2nd class citizens

this isn't a religious freedom test, this is a hate test.
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

5. The Following User Says Thank You to goldfly For This Useful Post:

DaneHill (12-08-2016)

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    i have no problem pushing against anyone who fights to deny equal rights to a fellow citizen

don't care if their group name is "Little Sisters of the poor" or "If you disagree with us, you are hoping Children get cancer" or whatever you want to use as an example

this isn't a bendable issue and i don't agree with a dream deferred

then they shouldn't open businesses for the public in this society if they think someone has the right to just treat certain americans as 2nd class citizens

this isn't a religious freedom test, this is a hate test.
    Huh? They offered to make a cake but not decorated the way they want. It is like Swatzikas or meal cooked in pork fat, religious people do not like to do things that offends their religion. You respect Muslims but not Jews or Christians beliefs which is odd.

Heck, if a black business don't like you or accept you and yeah there are some, I would advise not to eat there if you insist on getting what you want how you want, you might find some added ingredients of the unsavory kind. The couple is fortunate good people end up being forced to do something against their Constitutional Rights.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Again...the left was nothing more than tyranny. Everyone must accept what they deem is right. No free will at all.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

FreemanFan (12-10-2016), Garmel (12-08-2016), NinersSBChamps (12-09-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AerchAngel View Post
    Huh? They offered to make a cake but not decorated the way they want. It is like Swatzikas or meal cooked in pork fat, religious people do not like to do things that offends their religion. You respect Muslims but not Jews or Christians beliefs which is odd.

Heck, if a black business don't like you or accept you and yeah there are some, I would advise not to eat there if you insist on getting what you want how you want, you might find some added ingredients of the unsavory kind. The couple is fortunate good people end up being forced to do something against their Constitutional Rights.
    I have been surprised that these businesses haven't protested the revocation of their religious rights by turning out very low quality products.
    I would have done a terrible job of decorating the cake or putting together the bouquets, just to send a message.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    I have been surprised that these businesses haven't protested the revocation of their religious rights by turning out very low quality products.
    I would have done a terrible job of decorating the cake or putting together the bouquets, just to send a message.
    Preaching old school dude. If you offend us, we will most likely retaliate the ugliest way possible without using violence.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    oh the tyranny to not allow you to hate or treat others not as equals

how horrible a world
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

12. The Following User Says Thank You to goldfly For This Useful Post:

DaneHill (12-08-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    oh the tyranny to not allow you to hate or treat others not as equals

how horrible a world
    If someone wants to hate that is their business. But 'hate' is now loosely defined to push a control of thought and speech.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    sure thing thethe

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    sure thing thethe
    So if someone wants to be a pathetic person with hate in their heart we should not all them to hate? That my friend is tyranny.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

AerchAngel (12-08-2016), FreemanFan (12-10-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    If someone wants to hate that is their business. But 'hate' is now loosely defined to push a control of thought and speech.
    Why Liberals hate people unlike them? Seriously, forcing upon people their beliefs and not let people live the way they want to live. Very oppressive if you ask me.

Still Playing the Waiting Game DaneHill's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    267 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AerchAngel View Post
    Why Liberals hate people unlike them? Seriously, forcing upon people their beliefs and not let people live the way they want to live. Very oppressive if you ask me.
    AA, you do realize this is exactly how gay people feel living in a straight society?

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DaneHill View Post
    AA, you do realize this is exactly how gay people feel living in a straight society?
    The gay community isn't a monolith, Dane.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (12-09-2016)

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,756 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DaneHill View Post
    Not being able to get your cake anywhere you want isn't things being forced on you.

My boss is gay, and my colleague is catholic. Over drinks they discuss their beliefs and why they believe them. I think she is wrong, but in no world does she "hate" like is commonly being thrown around by goldy. "Hate" will be the new "racist" when it comes to just crying wolf over and over and over again until it loses its meaning

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Not being able to get your cake anywhere you want isn't things being forced on you.

My boss is gay, and my colleague is catholic. Over drinks they discuss their beliefs and why they believe them. I think she is wrong, but in no world does she "hate" like is commonly being thrown around by goldy. "Hate" will be the new "racist" when it comes to just crying wolf over and over and over again until it loses its meaning
    It is deliberate. It's all about control and that's why it continuously gets extended to include more and more things.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    267 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    The gay community isn't a monolith, Dane.
    No idea what you're trying to say here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    So if someone wants to be a pathetic person with hate in their heart we should not all them to hate? That my friend is tyranny.
    yeah, sure thing thethe

tyranny

so oppressed

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    267 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post

Yes, that's what bothers gay people. Not being able to get cake anywhere we want.

"Hate" is a strong word that I don't throw around lightly myself. I tend to think of people who think badly of gays as either misguided, uninformed, ignorant, or out of touch. Or closet cases, haha. If someone has never been exposed to gay people, then I get it, it's hard, if not impossible, to wrap their heads around the concept, especially when society has prejudiced them against the idea from childhood on. If those people become verbally or physically abusive, then yes, I consider that hate.

Now, you'll say, but what about gay people who verbally or physically abuse religious people, such as the cake bakers, is that hate? Yes, but again, I get it. Religion has well earned the ire of gay people. Not all religions of course, but you know what I mean. Gay people finally feel empowered, able to live their lives openly and honestly. You try to shove that back in a closet or condemn it, and you're asking for a violent reaction.

If a bakery refused to make me a cake because I'm gay, it would be something of a shock and saddening, but I personally would turn the other cheek and walk away. Hey, thanks for letting me know. I wouldn't want to give them my money anyway. Plenty of gay-friendly businesses out there that deserve my money. Other people though are not willing to just walk away. The bakery is breaking the law and being called out on it.

I grew up Southern Baptist in Georgia and Virginia. When I turned 18, I never went back. It was just a poisonous and unhealthy environment for me. My mother didn't understand for years why I stopped going. I didn't necessarily stop believing in God though. I just stopped believing in Man's interpretation of God, at least the interpretation I grew up with. It didn't fit with what I knew to be true about life. And since then, if it encroaches on my life, then I stand up to it.

So, is all this part of the "overreach"? We should all overreach towards what is good and right. Is that a bad thing? Certainly not something to regret. I think the role it may have played in this election is just the last gasps of a dying belief for many people. Progress isn't a straight line, nor is it often easily won.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    if you actively try to make laws to treat others not as equal as i am and others, i don't see how that isn't anything but hate

it's insane to think in this country that someone can say "hey, we want to be equal as you" and there are a lot of people that go "nope"

and then hide behind bull**** arguments of tyranny and freedom

it makes light of actual tyranny and dilutes the word freedom