Page 15 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Braves sniffing around on Yelich, Realmuto

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,003 Posts
    I like Yelich a lot but I don't think he's the guy we should begin to empty major prospects for.

Pitching is too much of an unknown. Will Dansby bounce back? Can Ozzie build off last year? What will get from Acuna? Can Freeman get adequate protection in the lineup? Who takes a step forward in the bullpen? I don't know if I'd want to trade guys like Riley and Soroka for a guy who might get us to 80-83 wins.

I'm guessing the Marlins are going to want one of Folty/Newcomb/Gohara, one of Dansby/Riley, two high-end pitching prospects, probably Pache...

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Exactly the point. The Marlins are in a unique spot to have a complete, historic tear down and rebuild. Everyone says "what about the fans?"

Well, what about them. They don't have any. Certainly none that show up when they aren't in the running.

Loria never understood that a fanbase has to be built like a franchise has to be built. Loria wanted a championship and thought that would work, give the masses a championship and they will become lifelong fans. His equation was build talent + sign outside talent (Livan Hernandez, Kevin Brown, etc) = WS = fans. He failed to account for his second part equation which was win (or come close) - then subtract big contracts.

You need to build a franchise with tons of young talent that is cost controlled for years to give the fans something more than a one and done type roller coaster.

Fish will make money. No doubt. But putting a 1/2 arsed effort out there won't bring in fans. So, why not go all in on the rebuild. Why do you care if you "hurt" the few existing Marlins fans if the bigger picture leads to more Marlins fans in the long run? Probably 1/2 their attendance is fans from other teams down for vacation as it stands.

If Jeter and company tanked for the next 3-5 years and stockpiled young talent they could pay off their cost of buying the team and then have cash at hand to make moves to be good when they actually might have a chance of being good.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Horsehide Harry For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (01-17-2018), UNCBlue012 (01-18-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    We can close the book on this... Gammons reporting Miami wouldn’t consider a trade for Yelich if Acuna wasn’t involved ....

Gammons goes so far as to say that the Marlins won't even discuss a second player without Acuna being included in a trade. That's probably fair, because the Braves likely wouldn't want discussions to go on if they have to include him. As good as Yelich has been, it's tough to imagine that Atlanta would be willing to include the player that many consider the best prospect in baseball. Assuming Gammons is correct, you probably won't see Yelich in an Brave uniform in 2018.
    Ivermectin Man

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-17-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Gammons is out of touch nowadays. Not that I think our chances or good to get Yelich, but he's whiffed on quite a bit lately.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-17-2018)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    We can close the book on this... Gammons reporting Miami wouldn’t consider a trade for Yelich if Acuna wasn’t involved ....

Gammons goes so far as to say that the Marlins won't even discuss a second player without Acuna being included in a trade. That's probably fair, because the Braves likely wouldn't want discussions to go on if they have to include him. As good as Yelich has been, it's tough to imagine that Atlanta would be willing to include the player that many consider the best prospect in baseball. Assuming Gammons is correct, you probably won't see Yelich in an Brave uniform in 2018.
    He's still living in a fantasy world where he has to be involved because he's our top prospect.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Gammons is out of touch nowadays. Not that I think our chances or good to get Yelich, but he's whiffed on quite a bit lately.
    Yeah Gammons doesn’t know ****, as he’s proven multiple times over the last couple years.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts

But watch, they'll turn around and trade him to another team like the Yankmees or Boston or Chicago or the Angels for half of what we could legitimately offer without doing one of these crazy farm killing trades. Let them keep him, until they decide to give him away to one of the other guys.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Marlins can do what they want.

Maybe the deadline will drum up interest.

But if they wait a year or more then yelich surplus value will go down as his control years decline. I’d rather trade for him next offseason when we know more about our prospects, are really clear to win and yelich should be cheaper.

I still think the nats win and they use Robles

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,003 Posts
    So they trade Stanton with a very modest return and yet they won't trade Yelich without getting who a lot of folks consider to be "the best prospect in baseball?"

K...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts

The Marlins are a desperate and horrible franchise... I have no doubt they'll trade him at some point. And they know we will in no way trade Acuna.

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesnumberone View Post
    So they trade Stanton with a very modest return and yet they won't trade Yelich without getting who a lot of folks consider to be "the best prospect in baseball?"

K...
    That’s due to the players’ surplus value. While Stanton isn’t by far the better player, Yelich has the much more team friendly contract and thus would net a much better return in a trade than Stanton. Stanton really could only be traded to a handful of teams who would be able to absorb that kind of salary.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,041 Posts
    There's a greater than zero chance that Acuna is better than Yelich right now.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (01-18-2018), JohnAdcox (01-18-2018), UNCBlue012 (01-18-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    the bullet we have dodged is a trade that included Albies...which the braves would probably be willing to do
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,003 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter31 View Post
    That’s due to the players’ surplus value. While Stanton isn’t by far the better player, Yelich has the much more team friendly contract and thus would net a much better return in a trade than Stanton. Stanton really could only be traded to a handful of teams who would be able to absorb that kind of salary.
    I understand, but even then not that much more.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    512 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    There's a greater than zero chance that Acuna is better than Yelich right now.
    As a major leaguer sure. But there would be about .1% of the board willing to trade Acuna for Yelich straight up.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts

I don't doubt he's HEARD this from sources - the "trading within your division premium" (in theory) still exists to a point. Nobody WANTS to trade someone like Yelich to someone you play 19 times every year and have the few fans they have get all riled up when he comes to town that often. Angelos won't let Duquette trade Machado to the Yankees. Boston fans still lose sleep and cuss Harry Frazee every time Ruth is mentioned.

That doesn't mean they shouldn't go ahead and make that trade to make their team better, but it's easy to understand the hesitation. No one else had enough money to finance Frazee's Broadway show, so he (in essence) did get the best return (in his eyes) available for Ruth. The Yankees have the most to offer for Machado. We have the most of what the Marlins need in return for Yelich (young pitching).

The problem with taking that stance is that it will eventually limit the return because everybody on the planet KNOWS Acuna's going nowhere. They've effectively painted themselves into the same corner the Orioles are in when they do that - we know the Braves are "out", so we have to take the next best offer if we trade him.

Another obvious mistake by Jeter and Company if it's true, but this one is at least slightly defensible IMO.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesnumberone View Post
    I understand, but even then not that much more.
    It is actually. Yelich is one of the most valuable commodities in baseball right now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    the bullet we have dodged is a trade that included Albies...which the braves would probably be willing to do
    Excluding the fact that Sale would not have helped us in 2017/2018; In a vaccum would you have traded Albies straight up for Sale?
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Excluding the fact that Sale would not have helped us in 2017/2018; In a vaccum would you have traded Albies straight up for Sale?
    At which point in time. It is not a static situation. I think Albies has an expected surplus value of about 15 wins right now over the next six years.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    At which point in time. It is not a static situation. I think Albies has an expected surplus value of about 15 wins right now over the next six years.
    Now that we have seen more of ALbies at the major league level I think that has benefited his future surplus value? Or was that too small of a sample to have an impact?

Otherwise, I think a straight up deal for those two would not have been a bad deal had the Braves been in a position to actually compete.
    Natural Immunity Croc