Thread: Rotation opening day (week)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts

Rotation opening day (week)

We have gohara, folty, Teheran, McCarthy, Newcomb, fried, and kazmir. Who would be your 5 starters to start the season?
    Swanson sucks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    We have gohara, folty, Teheran, McCarthy, Newcomb, fried, and kazmir. Who would be your 5 starters to start the season?
    It is too early to say till we see them in spring training, I'd love for both McCarthy and Kazmir to be healthy and looking good to give us more options.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Braves1976 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (01-22-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    the first five on your list
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts
    Teheran
    Gohara
    Folty
    Newcomb
    McCarthy

I would start them in that order

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Personally, I would start with Gohara in AAA working on his change with Fried and Newk getting their last shot at ~10 starts to prove whether or not they can cut it in the rotation.

Realistically, I think it’s a pretty safe bet Gohara pitches his way into the opening day rotation. He is head and shoulders above all the other young pitchers right now.

Picking between Newk and Fried is easy unless Fried replaces his four seamer with a two seamer. Newk is pretty clearly the guy who needs to be given the chance to harness his control.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

Jaw (01-22-2018), JohnAdcox (01-22-2018), jpx7 (01-22-2018), UNCBlue012 (01-22-2018)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Personally, I would start with Gohara in AAA working on his change with Fried and Newk getting their last shot at ~10 starts to prove whether or not they can cut it in the rotation.

Realistically, I think it’s a pretty safe bet Gohara pitches his way into the opening day rotation. He is head and shoulders above all the other young pitchers right now.

Picking between Newk and Fried is easy unless Fried replaces his four seamer with a two seamer. Newk is pretty clearly the guy who needs to be given the chance to harness his control.
    Yeah I think the pretty easy answer right now is a starting rotation of Julio, Folty, McCarthy, Gohara, and Newk.

I'm really anxious to see Newk and Gohara. Especially to monitor Newcomb's command and see if he has developed anything close to a respectable walk rate. I would make Gohara focus primarily on his changeup during spring training. Maybe he will be confident enough in it to throw it effectively once the season starts.

I would send Fried to AAA to work on crafting a new look for his fastball as you have suggested, then insert him once someone gets injured or we need a spot start. I still have a little hope that Fried can be a solid major league starter.

Sims I would either put in as a long reliever or send to AAA. I've given up on him as a prospect for the most part. If we get in a bind he could come up and maybe do an alright job with a spot start or two.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post

That’d be my preference as well. Start Gohara in AAA with Soroka, and Allard.
    A rotation of Julio, McCarthy, Newcomb, Folty and Fried would be my preference to start off the season.
    Put Lucas Sims in the pen and anyone else who needs to be replaced if Gohara or Soroka tell them they need to move and make room.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Chico For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-22-2018)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Kazmir..not clear on his injury. Is he completely toast or maybe able to come back.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    Kazmir..not clear on his injury. Is he completely toast or maybe able to come back.
    thought i read he should be able to give it a shot in the spring.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    If healthy...I'd want to start Kazmir. Keep the young guys down to work on third pitches. Try to sell him off for a C prospect when someone gets an injury.

I think we'll go: Tehran, Gohara, Folty, Newcombe, McCarthy. Kazmir keeping Gohara down might help.

With Gohara I'd make the decision on what we think is best long term. Is it better for him to go down for service time or to work on things? If he's in the majors can we monitor his diet, workouts better? Will he work on his change in the minors or does he need to work on it in the majors?

Newcombe, Folty Fried and Simms are a pile for me. I think all 3 are a grade or two over Simms. I think it's possible all could be good in the Pen. But I'd really like to see us package at least of those guys and get 3B, long term C, or corner OF better situated.

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    I also don't know the rules on service time with a few of these guys. I know you don't worry about it as much with pitchers, but I'd guess with Gohara you gain a good bit by not having him on the opening day roster. Send him down for a few weeks to work on the changeup. Start Sims over him. Teheran, McCarthy, Folty, Newcomb, Sims in that order. Plus early in the season your practically only need 4 starters.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    I wanted to trade Folty last year as he was in that "primed to take a step forward" category by many.

I'm not sure what his value is now, but if he has some value in GM circles I'd look at flipping him. I'm just not as high as others on him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    I think we'll see:
    Teheran
    Folty
    Gohara
    Newcomb
    McCarthy

I'd love to find a way to get Fried in there.