Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Fangraphs Top 100 Prospects

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Not exactly the same. But Coppy also inherited some top prospects. Acuna, Albies. Even Camargo who could yet emerge as a regular. And of course, all of the young major league talent he was able to trade away. Coppy had one very good draft (2015) and one great trade (with Dave Stewart). Otherwise, he was mediocre to downright incompetent.
    I actually like the '16 and '17 draft classes as well, the '17 class moreso than the '16. I had no problem with Coppy's drafting outside of drafting high risk pitching, although it seemed like he had some pretty good scouting in place on them. In those two classes he acquired 4 players who have appeared on a top 100 list this year and a few other pretty intriguing guys like Waters, Davidson, and Muller. On top of the three he acquired in '15. I think 7 top 100 guys in 3 drafts is a pretty good drafting resume. We still have to see how a lot of those picks turn out, but I am willing to give him credit on that. All the other stuff was less than optimal and I've always kind of been of the belief that Hart and Scheurholz were behind a lot of the moves.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    To be fair, his Mallex for Gohara trade is looking pretty damn good.

Scoop up all the pitchers and one will work out!
    Yeah. The Gohara trade was a gutsy one. He deserves a lot of credit for it.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    About what? Coppy had a ton of talent infused into the team with the various trades of Simmons, Kimbrel, Heyward, Gattis, and Upton. That group was praised for bringing in all that talent. Making shrewd moves like getting Kemp for that albatross HO and so forth. All moves to allow the team to compete in 2017 with the opening of the new stadium. But that didn't happen. Seems like building a winning is a little harder than you might think.
    They didn't try to build a winner in 2017. They tried to luck into one. Big difference.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    When did Wu start trolling professionally?

I think any analysis of Wren does have to begin with recognition of limited payroll and clear marching orders to compete ever season.

With that said, I didn't care for most of his acquisitions and many of them failed spectacularly. I don't think he ever really built a team close to being able to win a world series.

He had some bad pitching injury luck that ultimately caused the rebuild.

I totally agree and always have agreed that blowing things up isn't that hard.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    I think Wren rightfully takes a beating for his FA signings, but it was his regime's lack of success in the draft that I feel was the biggest problem.

I think Coppy gained the respect of a lot of us for assembling a better organizational staff to address scouting and the draft, and that good will let us ignore some of his faults. Those staff changes seem to have resulted in a significant improvement in draft results, so the Johns triumvirate certainly deserve some credit for that. It's too bad they were so terrible at selling off young skilled players, we would be even more stacked than we are had they done that competently.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Yeah, wasn't there a board meltdown about that one at the time? Mallex Smith was supposed to be the "same as Inciarte" and future 3.0 WAR."

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Knucksie View Post
    Yeah, wasn't there a board meltdown about that one at the time? Mallex Smith was supposed to be the "same as Inciarte" and future 3.0 WAR."
    He might still be.
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    He might still be.
    Agree with this. I'm still in the Mallex corner. It's just a no brainer to have gohara at this point even with the risk of injury.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Agree with this. I'm still in the Mallex corner. It's just a no brainer to have gohara at this point even with the risk of injury.
    I like Mallex but my problem with him was that for all his speed he does not have good jumps/routes in the OF. His poor instincts will keep him from ever reaching near Inciarte’s peak unless he steps it up with the bat. As is, I feel he is a 1.5-2 WAR guy instead of a 3-4 one like Ender.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oklahomabrave For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-12-2018), Knucksie (02-11-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomabrave View Post
    I like Mallex but my problem with him was that for all his speed he does not have good jumps/routes in the OF. His poor instincts will keep him from ever reaching near Inciarte’s peak unless he steps it up with the bat. As is, I feel he is a 1.5-2 WAR guy instead of a 3-4 one like Ender.
    I remember Fredi playing Mallex in center and Ender in left. And as soon as he came in, Snit installed Ender in center. That alone told me Snit had fewer cobwebs covering the synapses than Fredi.

"I am your retribution."

12. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Knucksie (02-11-2018)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    They didn't try to build a winner in 2017. They tried to luck into one. Big difference.
    So that wasn't the intended goal when they started the rebuild? Good to know.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Knucksie View Post
    Not quite but close. A lessor version of Ender but good enough that trading Ender would overall improve the team. That and he is a better player than Kemp currently is. They did seem to hit on the lottery pick they got in Gohara though.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    When did Wu start trolling professionally?

I think any analysis of Wren does have to begin with recognition of limited payroll and clear marching orders to compete ever season.

With that said, I didn't care for most of his acquisitions and many of them failed spectacularly. I don't think he ever really built a team close to being able to win a world series.

He had some bad pitching injury luck that ultimately caused the rebuild.

I totally agree and always have agreed that blowing things up isn't that hard.
    And that's likely what plagued the rebuild that Coppy inheirted as well.

Hopefully at this point AA has the complete reigns on the team and can do as he sees fit.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    I admit I puzzled at that one initially. It was a gutsy move. Gohara was a fat kid with potential injury concerns and whispers about character...also, a lot of the contemporaneous scouting projected him as a reliever. Looked like magic beans to me.

It's a good lesson. Mallex may end up as a nice player (I tend to think he will) but I'm thrilled to see what Gohara does going forward.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,988 Posts
    Well now you know.

Wren put a winner on the field without getting the chance to properly rebuild either time he needed to. He wasn't perfect but 10 times better than what we had recently.
    Wren was "mostly" good at moves at the major league level. But he sucked at basically every other facet of managing an MLB franchise, clearly was not a good evaluator of talent, and reportedly was hard to work with/for.

I'd take him back over Coppy simply because of the HO trade alone, but it's hard to ignore the faults of Wren that led to the rebuild.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Wren was "mostly" good at moves at the major league level. But he sucked at basically every other facet of managing an MLB franchise, clearly was not a good evaluator of talent, and reportedly was hard to work with/for.

I'd take him back over Coppy simply because of the HO trade alone, but it's hard to ignore the faults of Wren that led to the rebuild.
    Wrens biggest issue to me, and it's a big one, was the inability to get talent out of the draft. Horrible luck in the pitching dept with the lack of anything to back it up in the minors is what ended up leading to the rebuild.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    I admit I puzzled at that one initially. It was a gutsy move. Gohara was a fat kid with potential injury concerns and whispers about character...also, a lot of the contemporaneous scouting projected him as a reliever. Looked like magic beans to me.

It's a good lesson. Mallex may end up as a nice player (I tend to think he will) but I'm thrilled to see what Gohara does going forward.
    There was one thing to like about that trade from the start. We were clearly getting the player with the highest upside. As a rule with prospects, I like trades where we end up with the highest upside guy.

"I am your retribution."

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Chico (02-12-2018), Jaw (02-12-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Wrens biggest issue to me, and it's a big one, was the inability to get talent out of the draft. Horrible luck in the pitching dept with the lack of anything to back it up in the minors is what ended up leading to the rebuild.
    I think his drafts were poor. But when you take into account where we were drafting (some years we did not even have a first round pick), they were not atrocious.

"I am your retribution."

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    I think his drafts were poor. But when you take into account where we were drafting (some years we did not even have a first round pick), they were not atrocious.
    The worst thing about those drafts was the philosophy. We never would play the slot game and sign people to over slot bonuses which led us to miss out on higher end talent.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    we've touched on this, but one of the years we didn't have a 1st round pick because he decided signing a 65 year old glavine was more valuable. so if anything that's a massive mark against him.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg