Page 690 of 1422 FirstFirst ... 1905906406806886896906916927007407901190 ... LastLast
Results 13,781 to 13,800 of 28437

Thread: The Trump Presidency

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post
    Kehinde Wiley, 41, has come under scrutiny for past paintings
    There are at least two instances where he has painted black women holding a knife in one hand and the decapitated head of a white woman in the other
    In a 2012 interview, Wiley described the portraits as 'sort of a play on the "kill whitey" thing'

Good pick for an artist.

An interview with an art person about the paintings.
    The takeaway is that the artists chosen were unique for 2 reasons: both were Black and both were actual artists and not just realistic portrait painters. Apparently the President's artist was chosen with restrictions, meaning Kehinde was not completely free to do the "sort of play on" thing.

Personally, I'm not crazy about either one.
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Runnin For This Useful Post:

Jaw (02-13-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    Who thinks Trump paid off Stormy Daniels with RNC money?
    Looks like I may have been right. A Trump lawyer paid Story with his own money? That's a good one. These amateurs need to go to Lying School. Trump pulls everyone around him down into his cesspool of mendacity and corruption. He's an absolute snake. With T in the WH, the Muslim claim that America is the great Satan gets credibility. Trump is a Serpent of Evil.

thethe's new name should be Eve.
    Last edited by Runnin; 02-13-2018 at 10:39 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts

An interview with an art person about the paintings.
    The takeaway is that the artists chosen were unique for 2 reasons: both were Black and both were actual artists and not just realistic portrait painters. Apparently the President's artist was chosen with restrictions, meaning Kehinde was not completely free to do the "sort of play on" thing.

Personally, I'm not crazy about either one.
    I thought they were meant as an insulting joke when I first saw them, and I was floored to find out they were real. I disagreed often with Obama on policy, but I respected his thoughtful and "Presidential" manner. I don't feel that these paintings echo either of those characteristics. I know nothing of art, but I don't think you should need to know art to appreciate a Presidential painting, it should be accessible to the everyman.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post
    Kehinde Wiley, 41, has come under scrutiny for past paintings
    There are at least two instances where he has painted black women holding a knife in one hand and the decapitated head of a white woman in the other
    In a 2012 interview, Wiley described the portraits as 'sort of a play on the "kill whitey" thing'

Good pick for an artist.
    And white people actually owned black slaves

Quit whining and being so ****ing pc with your delicate snowflake feelings
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

6. The Following User Says Thank You to goldfly For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (02-14-2018)

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    I thought they were meant as an insulting joke when I first saw them, and I was floored to find out they were real. I disagreed often with Obama on policy, but I respected his thoughtful and "Presidential" manner. I don't feel that these paintings echo either of those characteristics. I know nothing of art, but I don't think you should need to know art to appreciate a Presidential painting, it should be accessible to the everyman.
    I wish that Obama had made more policy decisions that were as bold and challenging as his choice for his official portrait.

I think it's outstanding. Art should be challenging, but challenging doesn't mean inaccessible.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (02-14-2018), Dalyn (02-14-2018), Jaw (02-14-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    I don't know what to think of Obama in the ivy. Is it growing over him or did he come out of it? The 'gentle hands' were a nice touch, pun intended.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    I wish that Obama had made more policy decisions that were as bold and challenging as his choice for his official portrait.

I think it's outstanding. Art should be challenging, but challenging doesn't mean inaccessible.
    Good art is ambiguous.
    Last edited by Runnin; 02-14-2018 at 10:38 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Looks like I may have been right. A Trump lawyer paid Story with his own money? That's a good one. These amateurs need to go to Lying School. Trump pulls everyone around him down into his cesspool of mendacity and corruption. He's an absolute snake. With T in the WH, the Muslim claim that America is the great Satan gets credibility. Trump is a Serpent of Evil.

thethe's new name should be Eve.
    Cohen straight-up lied about this. I mean, that's not a surprise, but knowing it should color the response to anything else he has to say about it.

Furthermore, dude is clearly a ****ing grifter. Leaving aside his presence in the dossier, he was the middleman in that sketchy Ukraine "peace" proposal, and reportedly under investigation for real estate transactions (cash sales of properties, substantially above market value, to LLCs) that raised money laundering flags with the state of NY.

For the millionth time, a vote for Trump is a vote for this kind of shady person, and the big, stinking cloud of ****ery that accompanies their every move.

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Cohen straight-up lied about this. I mean, that's not a surprise, but knowing it should color the response to anything else he has to say about it.

Furthermore, dude is clearly a ****ing grifter. Leaving aside his presence in the dossier, he was the middleman in that sketchy Ukraine "peace" proposal, and reportedly under investigation for real estate transactions (cash sales of properties, substantially above market value, to LLCs) that raised money laundering flags with the state of NY.

For the millionth time, a vote for Trump is a vote for this kind of shady person, and the big, stinking cloud of ****ery that accompanies their every move.
    If he's a grifter, Trump must be his mentor.

I think the last thing we heard from Cohen about this payoff was it never happened or was a complete fabrication, or some such boilerplate denial that criminal lawyers spout. From fake news to I paid it out of my own pocket.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts

I didn't know he chose it. That changes my opinion somewhat.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    I didn't know he chose it. That changes my opinion somewhat.
    He chose the artist. There's a short interview with the artist on Morning Edition yesterday (can't link it but it's archived) that gives a tiny bit of insight into the process.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    I wonder the reaction if trump chose an artist that depicted chopping black women's heads off.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Perhaps the Obama Presidency was the bell weather of a new meaning to "accessible to every man"

Any art that causes thought and discussion is good art. I can't remember so much discussion over a Presidential portrait.

Unless buying the piece,
    Personal tastes of like and don't like are immaterial
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    I wonder the reaction if trump chose an artist that depicted chopping black women's heads off.
    A portrait of Trump chopping off women's heads would be too realistic to be considered art.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    After looking at Wiley's other work, his Obama portrait makes more sense. That's his thing. Like the ivy, it's growing on me.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Kehinde+Wiley&gl=us&hl=en&pws=0&source=ln ms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi-2prY3qXZAhUDabwKHdD_A8UQ_AUICigB&biw=1227&bih=567& dpr=1.3

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    I don't have to wonder. I think retweeting various flavors of white supremacist **** is fairly analogous.

If you want to play the "I wonder the reaction if" game, I think I can get to checkmate in one. If Obama had engaged in the barest sliver of Trump's unsavory dealings or carried a tiny fraction of his character defects, he wouldn't have gotten the nomination, let alone have been elected president.

You're carrying water for a ****heel con man.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

57Brave (02-14-2018), Dalyn (02-14-2018), Runnin (02-14-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    But we know Obama engaged in unsavory dealings such as sitting in the pews of reverend wright's church or having a mentor that was a domestic terrorist. Guess what...he got elected president so save your crocodile tears.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Trump is a liar, a crook and knows nothing about the economy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Trump is a liar, a crook and knows nothing about the economy.
    Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa waaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

25. The Following User Says Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

Hawk (02-14-2018)