Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CJ or Kubitza or Peraza

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    I still think the odd man out might end up being Simmons. If Peraza is truly a MLB quality SS, then Wren could possibly trade Simmons and stick TLS and Peraza in the middle of the diamond and at the top of lineup for the next 5 years.

It appears that Simmons is not making any progress at the plate, and some team might give up a nice return for him. The Braves simply have to rid themselves of all the .300 OBP hitters that are weighing down this lineup.

A lineup of Peraza, TLS, JUp, Freeman, Gattis, Heyward, CJ, BJ (or similar) might look pretty good over the next few years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post

Really CJ should be moved as soon as Peraza or Kubitza is ready.

My guess is that CJ will still be the best option in 2015. But after that one of the other guys should be ready to take over at third.
    I agree with your first sentence quoted above but very much disagree with the latter. I don't even believe CJ is the best option at third now considering his defense. I wanted us to get Emilio Bonifacio to platoon with CJ before this season. But now I want such a move or another similar even more so. I like CJ vs lefties but he's been terrible vs most righties this year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I still think the odd man out might end up being Simmons. If Peraza is truly a MLB quality SS, then Wren could possibly trade Simmons and stick TLS and Peraza in the middle of the diamond and at the top of lineup for the next 5 years.
    Wow! This post is one of the worst ideas I've seen suggested on here lately. I thought the posts saying Gattis days are numbered by some were bad ideas, but now let's trade Simmons? Crazy bad stuff!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts

It appears that Simmons is not making any progress at the plate, and some team might give up a nice return for him. The Braves simply have to rid themselves of all the .300 OBP hitters that are weighing down this lineup.

A lineup of Peraza, TLS, JUp, Freeman, Gattis, Heyward, CJ, BJ (or similar) might look pretty good over the next few years.
    This is Simmons' 2nd full year in the majors after not spending a ton of time in the minors. He's still young and has shown potential with his bat. And he's an all-world defender. I would give his bat at least a couple more years. Even if it stays where it is, he's a valuable player. If someone would give us a good OF piece for him, I'd consider it. I'm not totally against trading him no matter what. But saying he isn't making any progress at the plate is a little silly to me. He's still really young. It takes time for a majority of guys.

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    I would agree with nsacpi. Two things are for sure though, first, Peraza, when ready must be a part of this team, as he could finally be the true leadoff hitter this team has badly needed since Furcal. Second, Tommy La Stella must remain at 2nd base. We need our first three hitters to be Peraza, La Stella, Freeman for many years.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    This is Simmons' 2nd full year in the majors after not spending a ton of time in the minors. He's still young and has shown potential with his bat. And he's an all-world defender. I would give his bat at least a couple more years. Even if it stays where it is, he's a valuable player. If someone would give us a good OF piece for him, I'd consider it. I'm not totally against trading him no matter what. But saying he isn't making any progress at the plate is a little silly to me. He's still really young. It takes time for a majority of guys.
    Peraza won't be ready until at least this time next year, so that gives Simmons another full year to develop offensively.

I realize many of the folks on this board have a hard time grasping resource management, but if Peraza can be a true leadoff option (.350+ OBP, 30+ SBs) and play SS at the MLB level, then it makes sense to pay him league minimum and trade away Simmons if he fails to improve at the plate. Especially if Simmons can bring back a significant return.

Is it really silly to say he isn't improving at the plate? In what area has he actually improved upon over the last year?
    Last edited by Enscheff; 07-15-2014 at 12:44 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Lulz

And this coming from the guy with Nicolas Cage as his avatar.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    They just signed Simmons to a ten-year deal. It's clear that the Braves view him as their shortstop for a long time, as they should.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (07-15-2014), Garmel (07-15-2014), UNCBlue012 (07-15-2014)

Arizona Fall Leaguer BravesBlock's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Totally disagree. Shortstop, centerfield and to a lesser degree Catcher are all positions in which you can sacrifice some offense if their defense excels. Star players who produce at both are elite and are paid as such. Simmoms is the best shortstop I have seen the Braves field and can't imagine them replacing him until, like Andrew, his skills begin to deteriaite with age. I have advocated trading JHey for over two years now but because of his defense wouldn't have objected if the Braves had decided to move him to centerfield and the offensive production he has provided would have been much easier to stomach if that had occurred. But the Braves obviously felt his size would have worn him down quicker in that position. I still think he gets traded within the next year and the team that acquires him will put him in centerfield where he belongs. Do believe he is capable of better offensive production than what he has displayed over the last couple of years but do not believe he is going to be the next superstar as many on this board have predicted. Anyway back to Simmons. Don't think he is going anywhere and unfortunately neither is BJ Upton.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Peraza won't be ready until at least this time next year, so that gives Simmons another full year to develop offensively.

I realize many of the folks on this board have a hard time grasping resource management, but if Peraza can be a true leadoff option (.350+ OBP, 30+ SBs) and play SS at the MLB level, then it makes sense to pay him league minimum and trade away Simmons if he fails to improve at the plate. Especially if Simmons can bring back a significant return.

Is it really silly to say he isn't improving at the plate? In what area has he actually improved upon over the last year?
    I'm not saying he's improving offensively. I'm saying using that as a reason to deal him is silly because he's so young and has shown flashes. No, he hasn't made progress this year so far and I had hoped he would. But I don't think that's a big deal in the least.