Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: So It's All In One Place

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesnumberone View Post
    Everyone keeps talking about how these two deals have made us so much better on the farm. But we are now even more screwed long term with outfield depth it seems. Why would we not dangle guys like Kimbrel and Minor to try to build that part up?
    Next steps - Minor and Kimbrel join Gattis and Johnson on the trading block.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    For Kimbrel, no one is paying top dollar in a trade for a closer right now. Its much better to wait until mid season when trading is the only option teams have. Kimbrel isnt a rental so teams should be less hesitant to fork over top prospects for him.

For Minor, I think its best to bet on him and hope he returns to what he was from mid 2012 thru 2013. If he does his value sky rockets. If not I think his value only drops slightly.
    Always relative depending on your definition of "top dollar"...

quite sure Detroit would be willing to offer up Derek Hill, Steven Moya, and Buck Farmer for Kimbrel. I wonder if the Yankees would offer up Aaron Judge plus for Minor.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,513 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    My guess is that the team is petrified of alienating the fanbase.
    Too late.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

holden (12-20-2014), jpx7 (12-19-2014), Julio3000 (12-19-2014)

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,279 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Metaphysicist View Post
    Just listing years of control is incredibly misleading. The Braves could have traded for thethe and "won" in terms of "years of control." What matters is talent.

4 years of Shelby Miller is awesome, but 6 years of a blah "prospect" like Dustin Peterson is worth a bag of paper towels.
    I already offered a thanks, but THANK YOU. We have six years of control over Max Fried- awesome! Now all he has to do is recover from major arm surgery, work through two or three levels of the minor leagues and become a major league pitcher we want to have control over.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MadduxFanII For This Useful Post:

holden (12-20-2014), jpx7 (12-19-2014), Julio3000 (12-19-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Next steps - Minor and Kimbrel join Gattis and Johnson on the trading block.
    Id send those two packing to Texas. They should have high interest in those two players.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    @Joelsherman1
    #Padres have renovated roster, but execs from other teams say #athletics #nationals #braves all do well in hauls got from SD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Johnson and Gattis are the last standing. Once they are gone, we will suck against lefties, too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,731 Posts
    Always relative depending on your definition of "top dollar"...

quite sure Detroit would be willing to offer up Derek Hill, Steven Moya, and Buck Farmer for Kimbrel. I wonder if the Yankees would offer up Aaron Judge plus for Minor.
    yeah our definition of "top dollar" is different.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    I've been in the "blow this thing up" camp for awhile now. Keep plugging away Hart. Take the shots to do what needs doing.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BedellBrave For This Useful Post:

clvclv (12-19-2014), thethe (12-19-2014)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BedellBrave View Post
    I've been in the "blow this thing up" camp for awhile now. Keep plugging away Hart. Take the shots to do what needs doing.
    About 4-5 years late IMO, but it had to be done at some point.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (01-10-2015)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    About 4-5 years late IMO, but it had to be done at some point.

Agreed. And looking at where all the newcomers are now being ranked in the farm system, then I'd say that Hart has made some major progress with that part of the project.

Now what to do with Gattis, CJ and Kimbrell...

17. The Following User Says Thank You to BedellBrave For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (01-10-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,731 Posts
    It really should be a full rebuilding. If we can't win with Teheran/Wood/Minor/Miller/Freeman/Gattis/Simmons making under 20 million combined it's not going to be much easier when they make 60+ million in 2017.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cajunrevenge For This Useful Post:

bravesnumberone (12-19-2014), holden (12-20-2014)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    It really should be a full rebuilding. If we can't win with Teheran/Wood/Minor/Miller/Freeman/Gattis/Simmons making under 20 million combined it's not going to be much easier when they make 60+ million in 2017.
    Payroll should jump to 130+ by then, not a big deal

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Exact reason I'm all for rolling the dice and moving Kimbrel, Minor, and Gattis now - could completely stock system from 1-20 with prospects who should all be ready around the time the new park opens. Make a couple of serious international splashes in Moncada and Alfredo Despaigne/Lourdes Gourriel and a couple of free-agent signings either of the next two winters and the organization would be far better off than it is now.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (12-19-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    My take on what we got and what we gave up.

Jace Peterson--statistics are impressive, but remember he was playing in the California, Texas and Pacific Coast Leagues the past two years. All excellent hitting environments. Similar to players like Pastornicky and La Stella in our systems.

Dustin Peterson--struggled in Low A as a 19 year old. Closest comp in our system might be Connor Lien who had a better season in low A as a 20 year old.

Mallex Smith--had success in both Low A and High A as a 21 year old. Similar to the success that our own Jose Peraza had in High A and AA as a 20 year old. If you consider that Peraza was one level ahead of Smith while a year younger and also playing in tougher hitting environments, you can get a sense of context to evaluate Smith's success in 2014.

It is noteworthy that none of these three made their league's Top 20 prospects in 2014 (using BA's lists).

Collectively, I would value the three at 1.5 WAR.

I will hold off on Fried until the end.

Now for what we gave up.

Justin Upton projects at about a 3.5 WAR player in 2015 while being payed the price of a 2 WAR player. Surplus value is 1.5 WAR.

The draft pick (about #30) is worth about 1.5 WAR.

So what we've given up is worth about 3 WAR.

I saved Fried for last because he is the most difficult to value. I will point out that we got Paul Maholm for Vizcaino (at a time when Viz was recovering from TJ surgery and at a time when Maholm was an effective major league starting pitcher with a reasonable contract with one and half seasons left on it). To make this an even trade you have to value Fried at about 1.5 WAR in terms of surplus value. This is pretty close to where I value him and I would say this comes close to being a fair trade.

I have no problems with this trade. As I have discussed elsewhere, I do have problems with the Heyward and Markakis moves. Those are much more likely to work out poorly for the team.

All the above thoughts are couched in terms of probabilities. In all cases, it is possible a player could end up performing much better or much worse than his central tendencies. But it is not a good idea to base an ex ante evaluation upon outcomes far in the tails of the distribution of possible outcomes.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 12-19-2014 at 04:41 PM.

Lynchburg Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Viz is our fith best prospect now? gross.

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    My take on what we got and what we gave up.

Jace Peterson--statistics are impressive, but remember he was playing in the California, Texas and Pacific Coast Leagues the past two years. All excellent hitting environments. Similar to players like Pastornicky and La Stella in our systems.

Dustin Peterson--struggled in Low A as a 19 year old. Closest comp in our system might be Connor Lien who had a better season in low A as a 20 year old.

Mallex Smith--had success in both Low A and High A as a 21 year old. Similar to the success that our own Jose Peraza had in High A and AA as a 20 year old. If you consider that Peraza was one level ahead of Smith while a year younger and also playing in tougher hitting environments, you can get a sense of context to evaluate Smith's success in 2014.

It is noteworthy that none of these three made their league's Top 20 prospects in 2014 (using BA's lists).

Collectively, I would value the three at 1.5 WAR.

I will hold off on Fried until the end.

Now for what we gave up.

Justin Upton projects at about a 3.5 WAR player in 2015 while being payed the price of a 2 WAR player. Surplus value is 1.5 WAR.

The draft pick (about #30) is worth about 1.5 WAR.

So what we've given up is worth about 3 WAR.

I saved Fried for last because he is the most difficult to value. I will point out that we got Paul Maholm for Vizcaino (at a time when Viz was recovering from TJ surgery and at a time when Maholm was an effective major league starting pitcher with a reasonable contract with one and half seasons left on it). To make this an even trade you have to value Fried at about 1.5 WAR in terms of surplus value. This is pretty close to where I value him and I would say this comes close to being a fair trade.

I have no problems with this trade. As I have discussed elsewhere, I do have problems with the Heyward and Markakis moves. Those are much more likely to work out poorly for the team.

All the above thoughts are couched in terms of probabilities. In all cases, it is possible a player could end up performing much better or much worse than his central tendencies. But it is not a good idea to base an ex ante evaluation upon outcomes far in the tails of the distribution of possible outcomes.
    Stop with the EXTREME REACTIONS

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Updating the gambles and rebuild following the Banuelos acquisition.

That's now 4 out of our new MLB Pipeline Top 10 and 6 of our Top 20 acquired in the last month.
    Last edited by clvclv; 01-01-2015 at 11:55 PM.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    Looks like we should all watch the minor leagues since that is the current focus. Let years of CK, FF, simmons go.
    It's always worked for me.