Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Braves sign Pierzynski

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    Since popping off with some personal butthurt about the Heyward trade, I've been pretty quiet about big-picture stuff here—the direction of the team, the hint of a strategy, etc. I don't want to gripe for the sake of griping. It's been a great run. If we have to spend a couple of years in the wilderness, so be it. I can deal with that.

Jason Grilli? Whatever. I don't like it, but I can at least see the upside in a potential flip. Nick Markakis? I don't love the years, but I like the guy. But this? Criminy. Sign a AAAA catcher for pennies. Spending real American dollars on a guy who sucks AND is an acknowledged asshole? I wonder if these guys have a clue.

This is what bothers me. The money is not bad. They were going to get a vet no matter. Not a fan. But seeing as this is Christmas and that I believe that people can be changed - here's a Christmas wish that he has and will actually not poison the team.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Wonder how the fiery tempers of A.J. and C.J. will do together?

From the sound of the Bowman article it seems that the Braves got him to light a fire under Bethancourt

"Pierzynski's sometimes brash nature could prove beneficial, as he is now tasked with serving as a mentor to Christian Bethancourt, the talented Braves prospect whose effort level has been questioned throughout his professional career. Bethancourt is projected to serve as Atlanta's primary catcher throughout the 2015 season."

Not sure about that motivation.

Playing the Waiting Game BremanFan88's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    216 Posts
    This team just keeps getting sadder and sadder but I'm supposed to believe Hart has some kind of master plan? Sure he does...sure he does...
    All you need is Hart and Cox.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BremanFan88 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (12-24-2014), Dalyn (12-24-2014), Hawk (12-24-2014), jpx7 (12-24-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BremanFan88 View Post
    This team just keeps getting sadder and sadder but I'm supposed to believe Hart has some kind of master plan? Sure he does...sure he does...
    It is wild the spin we are seeing this off-season. This latest Bowman article is trying to talk up AJ's potential to both mentor Bethancourt and be a "clubhouse leader" too.

I guess just about everyone else knows less about AJ than we do, lol.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Braves1976 For This Useful Post:

BremanFan88 (12-24-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    510 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BedellBrave View Post

From the sound of the Bowman article it seems that the Braves got him to light a fire under Bethancourt

"Pierzynski's sometimes brash nature could prove beneficial, as he is now tasked with serving as a mentor to Christian Bethancourt, the talented Braves prospect whose effort level has been questioned throughout his professional career. Bethancourt is projected to serve as Atlanta's primary catcher throughout the 2015 season."

"Still can't get this skin rash to clear up. Maybe this aggressive late-stage cancer will help."

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to drewdat For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (12-24-2014), BremanFan88 (12-24-2014), Dalyn (12-24-2014), Garmel (12-24-2014), jpx7 (12-24-2014), Metaphysicist (12-24-2014), Prikichi (12-24-2014)

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    211 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    It is wild the spin we are seeing this off-season. This latest Bowman article is trying to talk up AJ's potential to both mentor Bethancourt and be a "clubhouse leader" too.

I guess just about everyone else knows less about AJ than we do, lol.
    So him fitting in well in an organization like St. Louis mean nothing? Relax....he's our backup catcher and was the best option left. Most of the guys left will be available during ST. If he's an ass then we move on. Not a big deal but worth a shot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by emk418 View Post
    So him fitting in well in an organization like St. Louis mean nothing? Relax....he's our backup catcher and was the best option left. Most of the guys left will be available during ST. If he's an ass then we move on. Not a big deal but worth a shot.
    I wouldn't assume he was so great in St. Louis, though he was only there a short time and it is easier when you're winning of course. To sum it up, I will not support the spin in Bowman's article nor signing him. However, I am happy that it is only a one year deal and apparently not more than 2 million.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BedellBrave View Post

I seriously question their judgment if that was the idea behind the signing. There is absolutely no evidence that he is capable of being a mentor and plenty of evidence that he is not.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Dalyn For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (12-24-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by emk418 View Post
    Noted. Have fun this year. Glad you only root for your favorite teams when they do well.
    There is a difference in doing well and not doing well and being a respectable professional team and not being a respectable professional team. For whatever reason we became fans, many of us love the Braves because of the traits they put front and center. Those traits no longer exist.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dalyn For This Useful Post:

BremanFan88 (12-24-2014), Garmel (12-24-2014), thewupk (12-24-2014)

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalyn View Post
    There is a difference in doing well and not doing well and being a respectable professional team and not being a respectable professional team. For whatever reason we became fans, many of us love the Braves because of the traits they put front and center. Those traits no longer exist.
    Wow- did you guys stop following the team when Sheffield was traded for? Kenny Lofton? Or how about someone bad (not just personality wise) ala Bob Wickman? Do you share Yunel Escobar's socially liberal perspective by chance? The malcontent Drew? Hell Raul Mondesi had his share of bad clubhouse run-ins too.

Look I'm making a point. I don't like this signing either, mainly because of the person and not the contract itself. But I think your statement is a bit presumptious, and, well, hypocritical since this organization has had plenty of a**hats in it's time and most of us didn't abandon the team. Note I know there is a substantive difference between Sheffield and AJ, but I make the analogy because your statement seemed focused on character..

And how many outbursts did Sheff have during his time here? None that I recall or at least none that were noteworthy. Perhaps that was Cox's magic at work, but since AJ is a Brave now, why not just hope he follows the same path?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ramadon101 View Post
    Wow- did you guys stop following the team when Sheffield was traded for? Kenny Lofton? Or how about someone bad (not just personality wise) ala Bob Wickman? Do you share Yunel Escobar's socially liberal perspective by chance? The malcontent Drew? Hell Raul Mondesi had his share of bad clubhouse run-ins too.

Look I'm making a point. I don't like this signing either, mainly because of the person and not the contract itself. But I think your statement is a bit presumptious, and, well, hypocritical since this organization has had plenty of a**hats in it's time and most of us didn't abandon the team. Note I know there is a substantive difference between Sheffield and AJ, but I make the analogy because your statement seemed focused on character..

And how many outbursts did Sheff have during his time here? None that I recall or at least none that were noteworthy. Perhaps that was Cox's magic at work, but since AJ is a Brave now, why not just hope he follows the same path?
    It's not just the signing, obviously. It is a combination of all the changes since the end of 2010. It's clear the Braves don't value the same things they used to.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalyn View Post
    It's not just the signing, obviously. It is a combination of all the changes since the end of 2010. It's clear the Braves don't value the same things they used to.
    Even JS, Bobby, and Hart tried to put it in words by saying we've gone away from The Braves Way. They might be trying to get back to it, but I think they've gone so far off track they are--at best--going to take quite a few wrong turns along the way. This is clearly one of those.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ramadon101 View Post
    Perhaps that was Cox's magic at work, but since AJ is a Brave now, why not just hope he follows the same path?
    Because Fredi couldn't even handle the current clubhouse. We had a coach fight a player, players calling out other players and coaches, etc etc, and this was without someone like A.J. on the team.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dalyn For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (12-24-2014), BremanFan88 (12-24-2014), jpx7 (12-24-2014)

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,003 Posts
    Don't really see much point in this. I would have re-signed Lairdass. But on the other hand, maybe we need a prick on this roster.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Sheff was worth the gamble. So was JD Drew. Bobby Bo only had a beef with Bobby V, which is no sin.

Also, Bobby Cox. Enough said.

What's the difference between those guys (the former two, anyway) and Pierzynski? The potential reward outweighs the risk, by a significant margin.

Conventional Braves Way wisdom says a backup catcher is:
    1) A baller on D
    2) A mentor type
    3) A good clubhouse influence

David Ross was all three. Eddie Perez was all three. Even Lairdership was arguably 2 of 3.

Pierzynski is, arguably, none of the above. I'd take an organizational soldier type over that.

It's not a big deal, in the long run. It's just a puzzler, in an off-season that seems to be full of them.

22. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (12-24-2014), BremanFan88 (12-24-2014), Hawk (12-24-2014), jpx7 (12-24-2014), Metaphysicist (12-24-2014), thewupk (12-24-2014)

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,829 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesnumberone View Post
    But on the other hand, maybe we need a prick on this roster.
    Not sure if a team from Dixie can handle young Wood pitching to an old prick.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Well, if John Rocker were still playing John Hart could trade for him again. Then he could "potentially mentor" our young pitching staff and "be a clubhouse leader" too.

Note: Hart did trade for John Rocker as GM in Texas. So while I am kidding I wouldn't put such past him.
    Last edited by Braves1976; 12-24-2014 at 07:38 PM.

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    and the horrible offseason just keeps coming
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    What is the upside of the move?

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    Wow, you really are a little bitch. You better hope we never meet face to face little man or I'll teach you some manners.
    Fake tough guy here.