Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Mess in Egypt

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalyn View Post
    The Egyptian people need this. And they need to do it for themselves (by themselves).
    More importantly in my opinion is that the non radical Muslims of the world need this.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    More importantly in my opinion is that the non radical Muslims of the world need this.
    You can argue that it is also important, but I don't think it is MORE important. Not even close.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    The work of the Brotherhood: link.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    My disdain for McCain and Graham is growing. SC please get rid of Lindsey.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BedellBrave View Post
    We managed to get lucky when DeMint walked away. Unfortunately, Lindsey is going to be a lifer. As a constituent, I generally appreciate his authority in the senate -- but he's pushing too hard on Egypt right now.
    Last edited by Hawk; 08-19-2013 at 10:23 AM.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    We managed to get lucky when DeMint walked away. Unfortunately, Lindsey is going to be a lifer. As a constituent, I generally appreciate his authority in the senate -- but he's pushing too hard on Egypt right now.
    Speaking as a South Carolinan who's been disappointed by Graham more times than I can count, at least I can say that he seems to care about the responsibilities of governing—something that Jim DeMint showed absolutely no interest in during his tenure in the Senate.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Jeez, Bedell, you pick the one time Graham isn't blithely cheerleading us into a war to criticize him.

That said, I don't necessarily disagree with you about the larger situation, and I think that the magnitude and import of ME policy should transcend partisanship.

As others have noted, there's not a particularly good move on the board right now. This is a quote from the British Foreign Secretary:

'In a radio interview on Monday, William Hague, the British foreign secretary, said he did not accept that outsiders were powerless to influence events. “But we have to do our best to promote democratic institutions, to promote political dialogue and to keep faith with the majority of Egyptians who just want a free and stable and prosperous country,” he told the BBC.

“What we’ve done in Britain so far is that we have suspended projects with the Egyptian security forces. We have revoked a number of export licenses, and I think then among the European countries we should review together how we try to aid Egypt, what aid and assistance we give to Egypt in the future,” he said. He added, “Foreign policy is often about striking the right balance.”

He described the current crisis as bleak. “I think it will take years, maybe decades, to play out,” he said, “and through that we have to keep our nerve in clearly supporting democracy, democratic institutions, promoting dialogue and there will be many setbacks in doing that and we should not be surprised when they take place.”'

I think this is a pretty realistic assessment of the situation, particularly the sections that I highlighted. I don't think it was necessarily a bad play to give qualified support to the Morsi government initially, in that it was democratically elected and replacing a corrupt, autocratic regime. Right now, though, supporting either the military or the deposed government seems like contributing to more bloodshed. Your suggestion appears to support what would, in effect, be another Mubarak regime. Perhaps that's the best of a bunch of unattractive options, but I can't say it's a clear-cut favorite.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (08-22-2013)

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    Speaking as a South Carolinan who's been disappointed by Graham more times than I can count, at least I can say that he seems to care about the responsibilities of governing—something that Jim DeMint showed absolutely no interest in during his tenure in the Senate.
    Agreed.

Whereabouts in SC, Julio?

Charleston here. And yes, I voted for Mark Sanford.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Agreed.

Whereabouts in SC, Julio?

Charleston here. And yes, I voted for Mark Sanford.
    Upstate. I wish I were closer to your zip code.

Ha, good ol' Mark Sanford. I think he's a smart, talented guy whose main flaw is that he's about 10% as smart and talented as he thinks he is. I wouldn't have voted for him, but he's qualified to do the job.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    Jeez, Bedell, you pick the one time Graham isn't blithely cheerleading us into a war to criticize him.

That said, I don't necessarily disagree with you about the larger situation, and I think that the magnitude and import of ME policy should transcend partisanship.

As others have noted, there's not a particularly good move on the board right now. This is a quote from the British Foreign Secretary:

'In a radio interview on Monday, William Hague, the British foreign secretary, said he did not accept that outsiders were powerless to influence events. “But we have to do our best to promote democratic institutions, to promote political dialogue and to keep faith with the majority of Egyptians who just want a free and stable and prosperous country,” he told the BBC.

“What we’ve done in Britain so far is that we have suspended projects with the Egyptian security forces. We have revoked a number of export licenses, and I think then among the European countries we should review together how we try to aid Egypt, what aid and assistance we give to Egypt in the future,” he said. He added, “Foreign policy is often about striking the right balance.”

He described the current crisis as bleak. “I think it will take years, maybe decades, to play out,” he said, “and through that we have to keep our nerve in clearly supporting democracy, democratic institutions, promoting dialogue and there will be many setbacks in doing that and we should not be surprised when they take place.”'

I think this is a pretty realistic assessment of the situation, particularly the sections that I highlighted. I don't think it was necessarily a bad play to give qualified support to the Morsi government initially, in that it was democratically elected and replacing a corrupt, autocratic regime. Right now, though, supporting either the military or the deposed government seems like contributing to more bloodshed. Your suggestion appears to support what would, in effect, be another Mubarak regime. Perhaps that's the best of a bunch of unattractive options, but I can't say it's a clear-cut favorite.

I've never been a Lindsey fan....never. And I have specifically said to stay out of this. Or if not that, then support a secular-military-Christian coalition behind the scenes.
    Last edited by BedellBrave; 08-19-2013 at 09:53 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts

He's McCain's toadie.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    What is it with you and my posting history? I've never been a Lindsey fan....never. And I have specifically said to stay out of it. Or if not that then support a secular-military-Christian coalition behind the scenes.
    Sorry, I probably didn't make myself clear. I didn't mean for that to be a dig at you or suggest any previous affinity for Lindsey. My point was that you don't strike me as a particular warmonger or being in favor of precipitous intervention overseas, in contrast to John McCain's Mini-Me, who seems to always be popping off about writing bloody checks that other people's kids—here and elsewhere—are going to have to cash. So it was funny that you singled Lindsey out for criticism when he was somewhat uncharacteristically promoting slow play and soft power.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    No need to be sorry Julio. I went back and edited my response a bit to take the edge off. It was a rough day and I had responded too harshly.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Walter Russell Mead article in a recent Wall Street Journal. Agree or disagree, some good information and viewpoints.

Link: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...699568400.html