Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Did We Give Up on Juan Francisco Too Soon?

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JCarbo76 View Post
    His defense has been OK, regardless of what the very suspect defensive metrics say.

It's not just metrics. Metrics show what people around baseball see. His range is almost non existent.

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    It's not just metrics. Metrics show what people around baseball see. His range is almost non existent.
    I understand he's no Brooks Robinson. But he's defense has been OK, even by the stat measurement, and more importantly, even by the stat measurement, has steadily improved over the season, probably due to him playing day in and day out for the first time in his career.

And by my eyeball test, having watched probably watched 80% of all the games this season, he's been OK.

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Having only watched 20% of the games this year, I have to say that he looks like a statue to me, but when he gets his hands on a ball he doesn't frequently eff it up.

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    Johnson has had tons of bloop singles. Don't of balls pulled into the hole. Do you realize, he's on made 2 outs to LF this season? That is unheard of. He had at the very least 2 bloop singles over the weekend.

I don't understand your support of him hitting the ball harder. He hit a homer with a speed of 114.5....that means he's hitting the ball harder this year? His average speed off the bat is virtually identical the past 3 years.
    He also has dramatically reduced his K-Rate and improved his LD%. He carried a high BABIP in 2010 as well. Also, can you link me to the Batted Ball speed? I looked all over for it and only found the HR numbers.

I think there is a happy middle ground here because 1. I'm not saying Johnson is a peak .330 hitter, I do think there is some luck in his AVG this year. 2. I think Johnson can be a .300 hitter for 2-3 more years, depending on when he loses bat speed. When he loses it, it's pretty much over for him. For that window he is likely to hit in the .290 to .310 range.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJC View Post
    He also has dramatically reduced his K-Rate and improved his LD%. He carried a high BABIP in 2010 as well. Also, can you link me to the Batted Ball speed? I looked all over for it and only found the HR numbers.

I think there is a happy middle ground here because 1. I'm not saying Johnson is a peak .330 hitter, I do think there is some luck in his AVG this year. 2. I think Johnson can be a .300 hitter for 2-3 more years, depending on when he loses bat speed. When he loses it, it's pretty much over for him. For that window he is likely to hit in the .290 to .310 range.
    Yes, he dropped his K-rate and increased line drive rate. There are many players with outlying line drive ratios for a year or 2. The batted ball speed was in the link you posted.

Johnson is also hitting more groundballs than he has in the pst. And somehow hitting .277 on them when league average is around .240. But, that's not even the big one. Johnson has decreased his flyball rate, but is somehow hitting .269 on flyballs.

The problem with Johnson is that even if he becomes a .300 hitter, he may only be a 1-2 WAR player bc of his lack of other skills. If he hits lower, he's terrible.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,029 Posts
    Yes, he dropped his K-rate and increased line drive rate. There are many players with outlying line drive ratios for a year or 2. The batted ball speed was in the link you posted.

Johnson is also hitting more groundballs than he has in the pst. And somehow hitting .277 on them when league average is around .240. But, that's not even the big one. Johnson has decreased his flyball rate, but is somehow hitting .269 on flyballs.

The problem with Johnson is that even if he becomes a .300 hitter, he may only be a 1-2 WAR player bc of his lack of other skills. If he hits lower, he's terrible.
    It's not improvement. Ladidabip says that from birth to retirement, players do not improve. Therefore, taking his finkleheimer percentage into account, clearly, Chris Johnson's line drive percentage is an outlier, no more.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    It's not improvement. Ladidabip says that from birth to retirement, players do not improve. Therefore, taking his finkleheimer percentage into account, clearly, Chris Johnson's line drive percentage is an outlier, no more.
    Just don't cry if CJ hits .285 next year.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Useful stuff here.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,029 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Useful stuff here.
    Thank you, thank you. I'll be here all week.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,029 Posts
    Just don't cry if CJ hits .285 next year.
    Yeah, not a problem. Same to you if he hits .300 again, confounding the Babiposters once again.

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    The batted ball speed was in the link you posted.
    Sorry to ask you to chase a goose, but I really don't see anything other that HR SOB. I'd really like to see Johnson's Batted Ball speed over the last 4 years to see if he's hitting the ball harder.

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Yeah, not a problem. Same to you if he hits .300 again, confounding the Babiposters once again.
    Ok, guys... the difference between .285 and .300 over 550 AB is about 8 hits. Negligible difference. It's like none of you have seen Bull Durham.

Personally, I think predicting anything from .270-.310 for the dude is reasonable.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Temo View Post
    Ok, guys... the difference between .285 and .300 over 550 AB is about 8 hits. Negligible difference. It's like none of you have seen Bull Durham.

Personally, I think predicting anything from .270-.310 for the dude is reasonable.
    That was my point earlier about the small difference.

Even if he hits .300, he may be a sub 2 WAR player.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory ChapelHillMatt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    187 Posts
    I have no problem with his defense, it looks like he makes most of the plays hit his way to me. Is he a gold glover? Does he have great range? No but he's not terrible with the glove.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    People always say he is not terrible, and I once again ask to what standards?

I judge players against league standards, and by judging him against other 3rd basemen, he is a bad defensive player.

ChapelHillMatt, who do you think is worse than CJ defensively at third base in MLB?

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory ChapelHillMatt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    187 Posts
    He could be the worst 3rd baseman in the league and still not be that bad. Nobody is saying he should win an award, only that he's not as bad as people make him out to be. You'd think he missed every ball hit his way the way people talk about him on this board. I've seen bad defensive play before. I watched Brooks Conrad at 2nd, Ken Caminiti try and play 1st, and Mike Piazza try and catch. I simply don't believe Johnson is a liability, he doesn't help you or hurt you defensively. I really don't care what his defensive metrics are. I watch him play every night. I form my own opinions based on what I see on a daily basis. If my argument was he's the best defensive player in the league at his position then I would need to compare him to others but since that's not my argument, I don't.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChapelHillMatt View Post
    I simply don't believe Johnson is a liability, he doesn't help you or hurt you defensively.
    But his defense does hurt the team a little; the primary reason it isn't "a lot", or a real liability, is the extraordinary defensive awesomeness of Andrelton Simmons.

On the other hand: luckily Simmons should be with the Braves for several more seasons, at the very least, so the Braves can likely afford to carry Johnson's glove (so long as he keeps hitting).
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

18. The Following User Says Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (08-19-2013)

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    ChapelHillMatt, who do you think is worse than CJ defensively at third base in MLB?
    Miggy, Zimmerman, MIchael Young.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    But his defense does hurt the team a little; the primary reason it isn't "a lot", or a real liability, is the extraordinary defensive awesomeness of Andrelton Simmons.

On the other hand: luckily Simmons should be with the Braves for several more seasons, at the very least, so the Braves can likely afford to carry Johnson's glove (so long as he keeps hitting).
    Well said!

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Miggy, Zimmerman, MIchael Young.
    to add: Pedro Alvarez, David Freese, Panda