Thread: Things They Say

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    Whoa that was bad. Yikes.
    Did you guys ever read about the Harlem Renaissance from the 1920s, and I'm not even gonna bring up the Tuskegee Experiments.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,730 Posts
    I think I posted a story about the Tuskegee Experiments in another thread recently.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    I think I posted a story about the Tuskegee Experiments in another thread recently.
    I had to do a report over that for a grad class I was taking about a year ago. Terrible stuff. What about the other source, the Harlem Renaissance and what destroyed it back in the 1920s?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Philip Rucker
    ‏Verified account @PhilipRucker
    10h10 hours ago

Trump’s line agreeing (momentarily) with Sen. Feinstein on a clean DACA bill

— “Yeah, I would like to do it” —

is missing from official White House transcript

.................................................. .................................................. ...........

Funny how the revealing 55 minutes are , revealing
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    "I think my positions are going to be what the people in this room come up with."

djt
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,730 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomahawk View Post
    I had to do a report over that for a grad class I was taking about a year ago. Terrible stuff. What about the other source, the Harlem Renaissance and what destroyed it back in the 1920s?

Thats a new one for me but a quick google search brought me this awesome quote

"Sometimes I feel discriminated against, but it does not make me angry. It merely astonishes me. How can anyone deny themselves the pleasure of my company? It's beyond me." - Zora Neale Hurston
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to cajunrevenge For This Useful Post:

Jaw (01-10-2018)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    Thats a new one for me but a quick google search brought me this awesome quote

"Sometimes I feel discriminated against, but it does not make me angry. It merely astonishes me. How can anyone deny themselves the pleasure of my company? It's beyond me." - Zora Neale Hurston
    That's a good quote. The Harlem Renaissance was when the African Americans living there started to actually "put it together" in the arts, music, business, etc., and they were really turning thing around in that part of NYC, then as always seems to happen in a garden, a serpent (or serpents) came in and introduced a few of them to their version of the forbidden fruit, heroin, then a few more and so on and it wound up bringing the whole thing crashing down. I realize there's a lot more to it than that, but that's the basic skeleton of the story.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    “You can’t say things that are false ― knowingly false ― and be able to smile as money pours into your bank account.” Trump said Wednesday.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    IF TRUMP WAS FDR: "We have nothing to fear but fear itself. But
    nothing against fear. Fear is good too, believe me."

IF TRUMP WAS JFK: "Ask not what your country can do for you.
    Unless you want to. Then ask away."

IF TRUMP WAS REAGAN: "Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall.
    Or leave it up. Your call, I'm good either way."

"Yesterday's WH Immigration meeting was the lowest day of the Trump Presidency. He has no command of the facts. He agrees with the last person who speaks with him.”

— Ann Coulter

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Runnin For This Useful Post:

The Chosen One (01-11-2018)

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    IF TRUMP WAS FDR: "We have nothing to fear but fear itself. But
    nothing against fear. Fear is good too, believe me."

IF TRUMP WAS JFK: "Ask not what your country can do for you.
    Unless you want to. Then ask away."

IF TRUMP WAS REAGAN: "Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall.
    Or leave it up. Your call, I'm good either way."

"Yesterday's WH Immigration meeting was the lowest day of the Trump Presidency. He has no command of the facts. He agrees with the last person who speaks with him.”

— Ann Coulter
    Hawk said he only read the transcript of the meeting. Says it was groundbreaking though.

If you watch the entire thing it's Trump contradicting himself several times within a few seconds of each contradiction just to agree with (R) or (D) politician asking said question and trying to sound like he knows what he's talking about. It's bad if Ann Coulter is calling you out for looking like an idiot.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Project Veritas: you made the comment that, you know, Twitter maybe wouldn't you know, verbally say some things that they, you know, wanted to put in their company policy but they were kind of unwritten rules as far as the content that they would allow or disallow.

Twitter Content Review Agent: Very. A lot of unwritten rules, and being that we're in San Francisco, we're in California, very liberal, a very blue state. You had to be, I mean as a company you can't really say it because it would make you look bad, but behind closed doors are lots of rules. Like, hey, you gotta do this this way. Or something like that. It was never written, it was more said.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Fredi View Post
    Hawk said he only read the transcript of the meeting. Says it was groundbreaking though.

If you watch the entire thing it's Trump contradicting himself several times within a few seconds of each contradiction just to agree with (R) or (D) politician asking said question and trying to sound like he knows what he's talking about. It's bad if Ann Coulter is calling you out for looking like an idiot.
    Come on, dude. You know better.

You guys have a tendency to let the cheap instinct to take pointless swipes at Trump override common sense.

---

GLORIA BORGER: Can we take a step back first of all and remark upon what we just watched? I mean, this was not just cameras in the courtroom. This was cameras in the jury room during the deliberations. I have covered Washington for a very long time and I have not seen anything like this and I think the President deserves credit for this because what we got to watch was people actually and I turned to Dana at one point and said is this real? And you said yeah, I think this is a real.

DANA BASH: It’s real. It’s not —

BORGER: We are not used to watching this. This was Lindsey Graham saying to the President in no uncertain terms, you need to close the deal. The President saying a pathway to citizenship was “an incentive,” saying that he’ll take the heat on whatever Congress gives to him. Now, the right-wing, as John was pointing out while we were listening to this, is already starting to attack the President on this and this is a President who I think is pointedly behaving not as Michael Wolff will have him not portrayed in his book, but is somebody who is sitting around the table —

BASH: Exactly.

BORGER: — and is in charge here, but so, yes, the details have yet to be worked out obviously and Congressman McCarthy tried to lay it out for the President. You know, you do DACA and then you do border security and then you do chain migration, but I think this was kind of stunning. I had not seen anything like this ever.

(....)

SHANNON PETTYPIECE: And now the political realities kick in because I've already seen my Twitter feeds, you know, Trump’s base, his supporters, Ann Coulter already attacking this. Ann Coulter tweeted something about how this did more damage to him than anything in the Mike Wolff book because, in the Trump grassroots base, they want nothing more than the wall in the Trump base. Wall is priority number one. They want the wall and he’s tried to tiptoe away from it before and he got hammered on the right and there’s no Steve Bannon in the White House to check him on this.

(....)

BORGER: And what the President wanted to show today and, honestly, this was his reality show today, and everybody decided they were going to play. They were going to be a part of it. As long as cameras were there, they would tell them what they were thinking really about it and what we heard from the President today multiple times is I'll be signing it. Whatever you bring to me, I have a lot of confidence of the people in the room.

BASH: But he has to build it, so it comes.

BORGER: Right.

BASH: It can’t be, if you build it, I will come.

BORGER: Exactly, but I'll be signing it. I'll be signing it. I'll be signing it and we don't know what that it is, but we know now this is a President who has been burned terrifically by the Michael Wolff book. This is a President who knows, and John points out, what his approval ratings are, and he wants a win. He wants one win and, by the way, by the following afternoon, I'll get another win.
    Last edited by Hawk; 01-11-2018 at 11:29 AM.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

Jaw (01-11-2018), jpx7 (01-11-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Come on, dude. You know better.

You guys have a tendency to let the cheap instinct to take pointless swipes at Trump override common sense.

---

GLORIA BORGER: Can we take a step back first of all and remark upon what we just watched? I mean, this was not just cameras in the courtroom. This was cameras in the jury room during the deliberations. I have covered Washington for a very long time and I have not seen anything like this and I think the President deserves credit for this because what we got to watch was people actually and I turned to Dana at one point and said is this real? And you said yeah, I think this is a real.

DANA BASH: It’s real. It’s not —

BORGER: We are not used to watching this. This was Lindsey Graham saying to the President in no uncertain terms, you need to close the deal. The President saying a pathway to citizenship was “an incentive,” saying that he’ll take the heat on whatever Congress gives to him. Now, the right-wing, as John was pointing out while we were listening to this, is already starting to attack the President on this and this is a President who I think is pointedly behaving not as Michael Wolff will have him not portrayed in his book, but is somebody who is sitting around the table —

BASH: Exactly.

BORGER: — and is in charge here, but so, yes, the details have yet to be worked out obviously and Congressman McCarthy tried to lay it out for the President. You know, you do DACA and then you do border security and then you do chain migration, but I think this was kind of stunning. I had not seen anything like this ever.

(....)

SHANNON PETTYPIECE: And now the political realities kick in because I've already seen my Twitter feeds, you know, Trump’s base, his supporters, Ann Coulter already attacking this. Ann Coulter tweeted something about how this did more damage to him than anything in the Mike Wolff book because, in the Trump grassroots base, they want nothing more than the wall in the Trump base. Wall is priority number one. They want the wall and he’s tried to tiptoe away from it before and he got hammered on the right and there’s no Steve Bannon in the White House to check him on this.

(....)

BORGER: And what the President wanted to show today and, honestly, this was his reality show today, and everybody decided they were going to play. They were going to be a part of it. As long as cameras were there, they would tell them what they were thinking really about it and what we heard from the President today multiple times is I'll be signing it. Whatever you bring to me, I have a lot of confidence of the people in the room.

BASH: But he has to build it, so it comes.

BORGER: Right.

BASH: It can’t be, if you build it, I will come.

BORGER: Exactly, but I'll be signing it. I'll be signing it. I'll be signing it and we don't know what that it is, but we know now this is a President who has been burned terrifically by the Michael Wolff book. This is a President who knows, and John points out, what his approval ratings are, and he wants a win. He wants one win and, by the way, by the following afternoon, I'll get another win.
    "The President said such and such and looked like a fool" is not necessarily a pointless swipe nor does it have to come from a cheap instinct. While the Immigration meeting was great theater and probably good for democracy, it still confirmed the characterization of him from the Wolfe book, that he's uninformed, unfocused and sees everything as his own drama.

Steve Bannon must be close to suicidal at this point.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Just read the transcript of Trump's interview with the WSJ today. It starts out reasonably coherent and then goes completely off the rails. Hits all the high notes... re-litigates the primaries and election, he's a great athlete, went to Wharton, etc. Same defensive schtick he always pivots to. Weird, rambling, repetitive **** about the wall and making it transparent (literally) and how it doesn't necessarily have to be a wall but it's going to be a wall...then his people start trying to prod him out of the room.

At some point y'all are going to have to stop rationalizing and normalizing this stuff,

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    Just read the transcript of Trump's interview with the WSJ today. It starts out reasonably coherent and then goes completely off the rails. Hits all the high notes... re-litigates the primaries and election, he's a great athlete, went to Wharton, etc. Same defensive schtick he always pivots to. Weird, rambling, repetitive **** about the wall and making it transparent (literally) and how it doesn't necessarily have to be a wall but it's going to be a wall...then his people start trying to prod him out of the room.

At some point y'all are going to have to stop rationalizing and normalizing this stuff,
    I think he's a relatively unintelligent, incoherent, and embarassing President

And yet, from a policy standpoint he's definitively outperformed his recent predecessors

19. The Following User Says Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

Jaw (01-12-2018)

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    "The President said such and such and looked like a fool" is not necessarily a pointless swipe
    In this case it is.

nor does it have to come from a cheap instinct.
    I think it does, universally. Especially when it comes from the usual suspects 'round here.

While the Immigration meeting was great theater and probably good for democracy, it still confirmed the characterization of him from the Wolfe book, that he's uninformed, unfocused and sees everything as his own drama.
    "Sees everything as his own drama." - That's a good thing.

Everything else, no. Disagree.

Steve Bannon must be close to suicidal at this point.
    Part of me says yes, that he's comatose and surrounded by bunches of bottles of Seagram's Vodka.

Part of me says this is some kind of cockamamie ploy.
    Last edited by Hawk; 01-12-2018 at 12:59 AM.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    No, we're really not.

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts

i agree

No, we're really not.
    and i agree

and that's what makes it depressing
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts

Part of me says yes, that he's comatose and surrounded by bunches of bottles of Seagram's Vodka.

Part of me says this is some kind of cockamamie ploy.
    I echo Sturg's take for the most part: the man himself is embarrassing, his policies and overall impact have been a definite win....but, I can't get the "cockamamie ploy" part out of my head. I may be crazy, but for someone who comes across as such a buffoon, he comes out on top A LOT.
    He's wealthy, married to a supermodel, got his tax reform bill when it seemed like half of his own party was waiting for Pence, has made actual progress on NK, has a chance to look really good on immigration, and has gone a long way to restoring order in a military that had become a hollow force. He beat the Bushes and the Clintons in the same election cycle, for crying out loud.

I don't know. I'm not sure anything he does or fails to do will surprise me.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Blow nails it.

"Trumpism is a religion founded on patriarchy and white supremacy...

It is the belief that even the least qualified man is a better choice than the most qualified woman

and a belief that the most vile, anti-intellectual, scandal-plagued

simpleton of a white man is sufficient to follow in the presidential footsteps

of the best educated, most eloquent, most affable black man."
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.