Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: GDT 8/25: K For the S

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I lobbied hard for Bud Norris, but maybe he wouldn't have worked out.
    glad to see the Big Norris Lobby being taken down.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-26-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    glad to see the Big Norris Lobby being taken down.
    not an easy decision
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

4. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-26-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    http://www.chopcountry.com/forums/sh...light=failures

Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    I'd give Madson a major league deal right now. He's a far better option than either Jackson or Carle.

If we'd had DFA'd Duvall at the end of ST we could have given his 40 man spot and money to Madson and had an actual useful piece without adding payroll or exposing anyone of worth to waivers.
    He wasn't going to let the team face plant. He spent big money on Donaldson to try to ensure there wouldn't be a face plant. The roster is competitive as it stands. That being said, I don't see AA spending up to his payroll max to try to squeeze a few extra wins. I don't think the cost-benefit analysis works for him. Better to pocket that money, hit some goals, and hope for the best. If we miss the playoffs you can always spend the money next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by tululush View Post
    In 464 abs last year, Camargo finished with 63 runs, 19 hr, 76 rbi, 1 sb, .272 avg and .806 ops.

Yes, with Donaldson’s injury history and age, I’m willing to bet that those numbers best what’s Donaldson does in 2019.

And let’s not also forget to take into account Donaldson’s salary of 23 million this year vs Camargo’s salary of 575k.

I stand by my argument that not only will 2018 Camargo produce more offense than 2019 Donaldson, but we will have spent 22 million more in the process when that money could have been used elsewhere.

Complete failure for AA.
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    Not true.

Astros, Cardinals, Indians, Brewers are all on a "middling payroll" with the Cards being on the high side of that range. Building a team that wins in the 85-90 range on a consistent basis will rarely get you anywhere and is the path of the Pirates, Rays and A's...in other words small market clubs.

There's a difference in not sucking and being legitimately good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pacheaholic View Post
    So when can we finally start to freak out without the AA ass kissers telling us its too early?
    I'm calling it, AA is not going to cut it as a GM. He needs to go. The inability to improve the pitching staff is inexcusable. He's overmatched.
    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleBrave View Post
    I had high hopes after 2018, but that's built on premise of teams taking advantage of their windows, not stagnating while everyone else gets better.

We’re paying what? Two players? Freeman, Donaldson, Teheran somewhat. The rest are pretty much minimum guys. Go get somebody to help.

It’s a shame.
    I could take AA constantly lying to the fanbase if he was at least a competent GM. The fact that he lying to our faces and bad at his job is too much.
    That AA was willing to enter the season with this roster forces me to conclude he's not a very good GM.
    Honestly, it's far more generous to AA to attribute his failure to fix certain holes on aversion to risking future wins or just a hesitancy to commit and limit his options. If he honestly believes this is the best possible team, the problem is far worse than any of us think.
    man i have a lot of work to get to, but this thread is an absolute gold mine of whining, nervous Nellie stupidity. the certainty of saying Ryan Madson would be a better player for the Braves to have this season than Duvall says it all.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

nsacpi (08-26-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    AA has no idea what he's doing and has to go.
    every other team got better while the Braves stagnated.
    i wish the Braves could be the Brewers.
    AA is pocketing the money.

the brilliance is astounding.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    man i have a lot of work to get to, but this thread is an absolute gold mine of whining, nervous Nellie stupidity. the certainty of saying Ryan Madson would be a better player for the Braves to have this season than Duvall says it all.
    U hate 2 see it.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    AA has no idea what he's doing and has to go.
    every other team got better while the Braves stagnated.
    i wish the Braves could be the Brewers.
    AA is pocketing the money.

the brilliance is astounding.
    AA wants to win today and not lose tomorrow.

Basically gives us a better chance in the regular season, in the long-term vs sacrificing today for short-term success aka some of the people here who want to go all in for 2-3 years of success. Which going all in doesnt even guarantee anything or boost your WS odds all that much.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Heyward For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-26-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    U hate 2 see it.
    I kind of miss it. Recent GDTs have been lacking a certain je ne sais quoi.

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    http://www.chopcountry.com/forums/sh...light=failures

It's always pretty funny to review the irrational posts of people who think that NOW they are coming up with good ideas despite a history of chuckle-worthy bonehead comments.

Almost as funny as when Taylor admitted to being young and stupid...6 months ago...as if in 6 months he has gained worldly wisdom.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tululush View Post
    In 464 abs last year, Camargo finished with 63 runs, 19 hr, 76 rbi, 1 sb, .272 avg and .806 ops.

Yes, with Donaldson’s injury history and age, I’m willing to bet that those numbers best what’s Donaldson does in 2019.

And let’s not also forget to take into account Donaldson’s salary of 23 million this year vs Camargo’s salary of 575k.

I stand by my argument that not only will 2018 Camargo produce more offense than 2019 Donaldson, but we will have spent 22 million more in the process when that money could have been used elsewhere.

Complete failure for AA.
    I’m going to respond to this now, the same way I responded to it in March.

L-M-A-O

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-26-2019), Super (08-26-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    It's always pretty funny to review the irrational posts of people who think that NOW they are coming up with good ideas despite a history of chuckle-worthy bonehead comments.

Almost as funny as when Taylor admitted to being young and stupid...6 months ago...as if in 6 months he has gained worldly wisdom.
    to be fair, i remember 6 months as a teenager being a long time. the difference between my sophomore and junior years of HS...difference between my junior and senior year...as adults we don't change as drastically. him being a teenager would explain a lot.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-26-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    to be fair, i remember 6 months as a teenager being a long time. the difference between my sophomore and junior years of HS...difference between my junior and senior year...as adults we don't change as drastically. him being a teenager would explain a lot.
    Development is not linear.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

Super (08-26-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    or even unidirectional

"I am your retribution."

20. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-26-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    maybe not for you low-T losers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    maybe not for you low-T losers.
    The truth is, T is bilinear—not that there’s anything wrong with that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    nothing wrong at all

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    my fatha's bilinear

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Geez that post by tululush... That is a doozy.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    my fatha's bilinear
    My grandpa was bi, that makes me a quarter bi.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Again, with Ottavino and Britton: there are legit concerns there. having those guys for 2 more years at their prices would not be good for the Braves. Britton especially. he's making a ton and his k/bb ratio is terrible. whatever ERA success he's had isn't going to last, and it could, and probably will, get very bad. the Yankees can take those risks. the Braves shouldn't.

disagree on Holland being better. guy was rough in 2018. also Diekman and Clippard were roughly Shane Carle last year and both have had their issues recently. IMO the Braves had some options just like those guys. the names have been spelled out. none of those vets were looking like anything much different. i think AA saw it the same way. Norris still hasn't pitched in 2019, FWIW.
    Again, you're missing the point in regards to Britton and Ottavino. You asked "Who would you have signed?" I answered about who I would have signed cause those were the two I wanted most in the off-season. It just so happens that they are doing the best among the big name closers signed. And despite that, signing one of them wasn't our only option.

Holland finished pretty great with the Nats last year and has a much better track record than pretty much any of our relievers coming into the season. Ditto for Clippard and Diekman in regards to track record. And the best thing about all of them was that they came cheap.

Yes I know Norris hasn't done anything in 2019. The point was, he and guys like Homer Bailey, Francisco Liriano, etc., were guys we could/should have brought in along with Tomlin because the risk was minimal.. Just release them if they aren't making the cut.
    Last edited by Carp; 08-26-2019 at 01:43 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Again, you're missing the point in regards to Britton and Ottavino. You asked "Who would you have signed?" I answered about who I would have signed, and those were the 2 I wanted most in the off-season. And they are doing the best among the big name closers signed. And despite that, signing one of them wasn't our only option.

Holland finished pretty great with the Nats last year and has a much better track record than pretty much any of our relievers coming into the season. Ditto for Clippard and Diekman in regards to track record. And the best thing about all of them was that they came cheap.

Yes I know Norris hasn't done anything in 2019. The point was, he and guys like Homer Bailey, Francisco Liriano, etc., were guys we could/should have brought in along with Tomlin because the risk was minimal.. Just release them if they aren't making the cut.
    i'm not missing the point.
    those two signed for big money. risky contracts. Britton really hasn't been all that great, anyway, and his overall numbers don't bode well for the future.
    you want Britton for 3/39 after looking at the totality of his numbers this year? big yikes from me.
    3 years for any RP, much less one 33+, is a bad idea. as well as he's pitching this year, Ottavino could just as easily tank the next 2 years and that would hurt the Braves. AA was smart to stay away.
    track record means extremely little to me with aging RPs.