Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    “On 1 January this year, Her Majesty the Queen made me a knight of the Realm. On 27 January, President Donald Trump seems to have made me an alien. I am a British citizen who has lived in America for the past six years – working hard, contributing to society, paying my taxes and bringing up our four children in the place they now call home. Now, me and many others like me are being told that we may not be welcome. It’s deeply troubling that I will have to tell my children that daddy might not be able to come home – to explain why the President has introduced a policy that comes from a place of ignorance and prejudice.

I was welcomed into Britain from Somalia at eight years old and given the chance to succeed and realise my dreams. I have been proud to represent my country, win medals for the British people and receive the greatest honour of a knighthood. My story is an example of what can happen when you follow polices of compassion and understanding, not hate and isolation.”

-Olympic champion Mo Farah

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    The left will have a large dussaroval voice that will cloud how the majority of Americans fee about these new actions.

Quinnipoac reports that 48% support while 42% oppose.

Politico Harvard has 50% for the ban.

On the flip side 52% oppose religious based test as a whole according to cbs/nyt.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    As everyone's head is turned toward refugees this happened today:

President Donald Trump on Saturday ordered the Pentagon to devise a strategy to defeat the Islamic State and restructured the National Security Council to include his controversial top political adviser [Steve Bannon], as he forged a partnership with Russian President Vladimir Putin in their first official phone call.

link
    Yeah, I'm not sure that we should feel comforted, knowing that dude is sitting in principals' meetings and the DNI and Chairman of the JCS aren't. Really strange.

On an associated note, Steve Bannon looks like a serious boozehound.

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    These 7 countries were identified by Obama and the DHS years ago as potential threats. These aren't randomly selected countries that Trump chose. Obviously intelligence has gathered enough that it had the previous administration worried.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BedellBrave View Post
    What are the chances? Can we ever remove all chances of an attack?

I'm not opposed to sensible measures. But I think those of us with a greater sensibility to the dangers of jihadism need to be careful not to get caught up in fear mongering.
    I think his actual refugee policy outside of this ill thought out blanket ban is reasonable.
    thank you weso1!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to weso1 For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (01-29-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    thank you weso1!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to weso1 For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (01-29-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NinersSBChamps View Post
    These 7 countries were identified by Obama and the DHS years ago as potential threats. These aren't randomly selected countries that Trump chose. Obviously intelligence has gathered enough that it had the previous administration worried.
    Thanks for the information and doing a quick search it's verifiablr. LoOKs like the DHS under Obama started the process for this ban.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    At its core there is a defensible part of The Donald's decision on immigration and refugees: that there be a freeze on entrants from some parts of the world or certain countries due to the conditions there.

At the same time there are multiple levels where what he did is objectionable.

1) Administratively. This was rushed through apparently without the parts of government responsible for its implementation having a chance to review it. The result has been chaos. And possibly tragedy and suffering, as for example the case of the Christian family that landed in Philadelphia but ended up taking a plane back to Qatar.

2) Policy details. It should have been made clear from the start that this did not apply to legal permanent residents. I also happen to believe that the vetting procedures for the seven affected countries are already sufficiently rigorous, but this is something reasonable people can disagree on.

3) Morally. I don't think this is included in the executive order, but Trump has said he specifically wants to help Christians in Syria. Now, there are circumstances where it is morally right to focus your efforts to help specific religious minorities who are being persecuted. But the situation in Syria is one where all groups are suffering, more or less equally. In those circumstances, I think it is morally wrong to single out one group as the one you are going to focus your efforts on.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 01-29-2017 at 11:09 AM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Runnin (01-29-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    I dont particuarly want the Christians either. We have enough wingnuts who want to impose their morality on other people in this country already.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to cajunrevenge For This Useful Post:

Runnin (01-29-2017)

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,003 Posts
    I think the fact that the administration has walked back the green card thing is even worse because it again illustrates a president who doesn't even think before he acts. There was zero effort to sit down, think and come up with a way to work together and rationalize this. It's like when they backtracked on the huge tariff thing with Mexico. Just throwing **** at the wall.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesnumberone For This Useful Post:

CK86 (01-29-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesnumberone View Post
    I think the fact that the administration has walked back the green card thing is even worse because it again illustrates a president who doesn't even think before he acts. There was zero effort to sit down, think and come up with a way to work together and rationalize this. It's like when they backtracked on the huge tariff thing with Mexico. Just throwing **** at the wall.
    The impulsivity, the short attention span, the incoherence, the belief that he knows "more than the generals," the megalomania and narcissism, the constant lying, the misogyny, the dog whistles to those holding various extreme beliefs, the scapegoating and lack of empathy for various minorities, the fondness for alternative facts and allergy to real ones. All of those things were abundantly clear during the campaign. As a country we are going to get what we voted for. And some will be happy about that. Mucho sad!
    Last edited by nsacpi; 01-29-2017 at 11:38 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    You can fault him for a lot of things but our Presidents arent exactly known for their honesty. Honest politicians arent even allowed to win the nomination much less be President.

It’s over."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesnumberone View Post
    Just throwing **** at the wall.
    Which wall u be talking about?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    You can fault him for a lot of things but our Presidents arent exactly known for their honesty. Honest politicians arent even allowed to win the nomination much less be President.
    yes other politicians lie....but i believe the Donald is in a class of his own when it comes to that...and it is a difference that matters

21. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

CK86 (01-29-2017)

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,003 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Which wall u be talking about?
    Steve Bannon's dart board.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,274 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    The left will have a large dussaroval voice that will cloud how the majority of Americans fee about these new actions.

Quinnipoac reports that 48% support while 42% oppose.

Politico Harvard has 50% for the ban.

On the flip side 52% oppose religious based test as a whole according to cbs/nyt.
    You're blind.

This isn't a partisan issue. This is an issue of human rights and decency. This policy destroys families, kills Syrian innocents, and poisons the image of Americans across the world. It's a nasty disease perpetrating from genuine xenophobia. If you support this in the name of fear, then I question your morals.

I'm all for a stronger vetting process and to re-evaluate whether we are giving preferential treatment to certain religious groups. But can someone answer a question for me why a ban is necessary for this to happen?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    This might be a good time for Mexico to send all DEA agents back across the border for 90 days while it implements a review of its policies regarding who to allow in its country.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    You're blind.

This isn't a partisan issue. This is an issue of human rights and decency. This policy destroys families, kills Syrian innocents, and poisons the image of Americans across the world. It's a nasty disease perpetrating from genuine xenophobia. If you support this in the name of fear, then I question your morals.

I'm all for a stronger vetting process and to re-evaluate whether we are giving preferential treatment to certain religious groups. But can someone answer a question for me why a ban is necessary for this to happen?
    Until this is a permanent ban then I will continue to believe it's a good idea. I know people disagree with my evaluation of the threat caused by Islamic terrorism. I've been consistent for over a decade so this isn't a flavor of the month deal with me.

I know people like me will be branded with the terms of xenophobic/racist/etc... I don't think that's particularly constructive and should focus on the real threat out there and realistic solutions.
    Natural Immunity Croc

26. The Following User Says Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

Jaw (01-30-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    yes other politicians lie....but i believe the Donald is in a class of his own when it comes to that...and it is a difference that matters

Even democrats laugh when people say Hillary is honest.

It’s over."