Thread: GDT 5/21 vs Giants

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    luke jackson has been good this year.
    the error last night was leaving him to face a lefty. he shouldn't be treated as a closer who can get everyone out; he should still be situational.
    That's the problem and goes back to the earlier question I asked - guys like Jackson (and others) may be just fine when used in the right situation in the 6th or 7th. If there's anyone in that pen today that you feel comfortable with in the 8th or 9th to put in there to get 3 outs regardless of who's due to hit, name him.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    No doubt, but if continuing to read that "The Braves still BELIEVE that Jackson can gain comfort in the closer's role." doesn't make fans feel any better, how discouraging do you think it is to the guys in the clubhouse when they're doing enough to win these games and you keep telling everyone you've got plenty of money to fix this - but don't?

They're going to say the right things publicly because they're professionals, but I seriously doubt many of them feel particularly confident about anything short of a HUGE lead at this point.
    Of course Braves officialdom will express confidence in Luke Jackson. There is nothing wrong with that.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

3. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Jaw (05-22-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    luke jackson has been good this year.
    the error last night was leaving him to face a lefty. he shouldn't be treated as a closer who can get everyone out; he should still be situational.
    Snit has to mix and match better. And he has to start pushing the envelope with respect to how he uses Newk.

"I am your retribution."

5. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-22-2019)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    148 Posts
    If this had been a playoff game, would you have substituted Flowers for McCann in the bottom of the ninth?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    There is a trade rumor regarding Shane Greene from the Tigers. He would be a good pickup for the pen.

"I am your retribution."

8. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-22-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    I am really surprised more of you aren’t yelling about lineup construction. We are scoring less because our power hitters are hitting solo shots. I know Acuna is “exciting” leading off. But I am tired of score 3 or fewer runs and having to depend on our pen so much.

Also thin Johan needs a spell in AAA to get right. Swap him and Duvall and see if his bat can get going with regular playing time. That is another area that snit has dropped the ball. He is not subbing guys like he should. Ol’ sharpie snit doin his thang real good.
    There have been several tactical mistakes lately, some of which occurred in close games where a single correct move may have scored/prevented an extra run and won a game. In a season where it looks like the Braves will make or miss the playoffs by a small margin, these tactical errors could loom large.

Snit wastes PAs on pitchers, which we saw with Folty in his last start.

Snit fails to build an optimal lineup as seen with Acuna leading off and Swanson batting 2nd.

Snit often makes head scratching BP decisions, though some of these may be due to info we don't have (perhaps Newk was sore last night).

None of these errors lead to dramatically different outcomes, but making a correct decision every time maybe adds 1-2 base runners per week, that leads to 1-2 extra runs per month, that leads to 1-2 extra wins by the end of the season. Add in a few of those types of consistently correct decisions, and it can add a few wins per year. That is the value the Braves are leaving on the table with a poor tactician like Snit in charge.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-22-2019), salmagundy (05-22-2019)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    239 Posts
    Acuna has only hit 3 HR with men on. Now perhaps that's due to poor OBP'ers batting at leadoff, but his home runs weren't often coming with men on at cleanup. The thought has been that he's changed his approach there, has tried to be Votto, and tries to get the man in instead of being aggressive which is not completely him. His best self has a hint of aggression.

I think that's it though for him hitting at cleanup. Only other place you might see him at from here on is #2 instead, but he's likely to be leadoff for the ROS unless the Braves have another horrible offensive slump.
    Aggression with prospects is fine, but being stupid is not. There should be a way to find a happy medium between a Pirates like idea of being overly cautious with prospects and going stupidly fast with prospects.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaGirl View Post
    Acuna has only hit 3 HR with men on. Now perhaps that's due to poor OBP'ers batting at leadoff, but his home runs weren't often coming with men on at cleanup. The thought has been that he's changed his approach there, has tried to be Votto, and tries to get the man in instead of being aggressive which is not completely him. His best self has a hint of aggression.

I think that's it though for him hitting at cleanup. Only other place you might see him at from here on is #2 instead, but he's likely to be leadoff for the ROS unless the Braves have another horrible offensive slump.
    Except that he went on a similar tear early in the season batting cleanup. This narrative that he’s magically a different hitter batting in the leadoff spot isn’t correct.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-22-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    There have been several tactical mistakes lately, some of which occurred in close games where a single correct move may have scored/prevented an extra run and won a game. In a season where it looks like the Braves will make or miss the playoffs by a small margin, these tactical errors could loom large.

Snit wastes PAs on pitchers, which we saw with Folty in his last start.

Snit fails to build an optimal lineup as seen with Acuna leading off and Swanson batting 2nd.

Snit often makes head scratching BP decisions, though some of these may be due to info we don't have (perhaps Newk was sore last night).

None of these errors lead to dramatically different outcomes, but making a correct decision every time maybe adds 1-2 base runners per week, that leads to 1-2 extra runs per month, that leads to 1-2 extra wins by the end of the season. Add in a few of those types of consistently correct decisions, and it can add a few wins per year. That is the value the Braves are leaving on the table with a poor tactician like Snit in charge.
    You can't teach leadership, though! And my God, Snit has it!!!

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    Except that he went on a similar tear early in the season batting cleanup. This narrative that he’s magically a different hitter batting in the leadoff spot isn’t correct.
    Correct. It is flawed logic or Acuna is a flawed player. If you change who you are because of where you hit the. Someone needs to smack you in the head.

But I don’t think that is the case. He didn’t bat leadoff all the time in the minors nor when he came up. He is a good hitter regardless where he hits. The problem right now is he is literal in the one spot who gets the fewest runners on base (by a good margin). Why someone from the FO has put an end to this is beyond me. I honestly think AA wants Snit to fail so he can get rid of him and bring in his own guy.
    Coppy

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Enscheff--"That is the value the Braves are leaving on the table with a poor tactician like Snit in charge."

Snit would have flunked out of AF War College because he doesn't think "tactics thru" or even understand them. It is becoming more and more obvious every game.

And learning about metrics is akin to trying to teach him to speak Mandarin Chinese.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    239 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Correct. It is flawed logic or Acuna is a flawed player. If you change who you are because of where you hit the. Someone needs to smack you in the head.

But I don’t think that is the case. He didn’t bat leadoff all the time in the minors nor when he came up. He is a good hitter regardless where he hits. The problem right now is he is literal in the one spot who gets the fewest runners on base (by a good margin). Why someone from the FO has put an end to this is beyond me. I honestly think AA wants Snit to fail so he can get rid of him and bring in his own guy.
    Well, Acuna said he prefers leadoff and AA said that he'd like Acuna at leadoff too, so the Acuna leadoff stuff is beyond Snitker.
    Last edited by GeorgiaGirl; 05-22-2019 at 02:52 PM.
    Aggression with prospects is fine, but being stupid is not. There should be a way to find a happy medium between a Pirates like idea of being overly cautious with prospects and going stupidly fast with prospects.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaGirl View Post
    Well, Acuna said he prefers leadoff and AA said that he'd prefer Acuna at leadoff too, so the Acuna leadoff stuff is beyond Snitker.
    All that might be true, but looking at Swanson's stats hitting in the 2 hole show the lack of understanding the value of metrics. His 2 hole numbers are worse than those of hitting 6th, 7th, or 8th.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Snitker told the broadcast guys that "Acuna at the top just makes the lineup feel different. He's just a different player with his energy at leadoff".

lol.

I still go with:

Neck
    Ron
    Fred
    Don
    Riles
    Ozz
    Mac-T-Flow
    Dans

I know Snit is obsessed with L-R-L-R balance,but Riley should hit 5th and then whatever happens 6-8 doesn't matter too much since Ozzie is switch and Mac and T-Flow can be switched depending on pitcher.
    Forever Fredi

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

buck75 (05-22-2019), jpx7 (05-22-2019), Southcack77 (05-22-2019)

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by salmagundy View Post
    All that might be true, but looking at Swanson's stats hitting in the 2 hole show the lack of understanding the value of metrics. His 2 hole numbers are worse than those of hitting 6th, 7th, or 8th.
    If Ronald leads, Neck bats second. And both Neck and Freeman have no issues with left-handed pitchers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Individual-1 View Post
    Snitker told the broadcast guys that "Acuna at the top just makes the lineup feel different. He's just a different player with his energy at leadoff".

lol.

I still go with:

Neck
    Ron
    Fred
    Don
    Riles
    Ozz
    Mac-T-Flow
    Dans

I know Snit is obsessed with L-R-L-R balance,but Riley should hit 5th and then whatever happens 6-8 doesn't matter too much since Ozzie is switch and Mac and T-Flow can be switched depending on pitcher.
    Or this. Thanks Sav.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    239 Posts
    Based off backchannels its actually rumored that Dansby #2 was suggested by some in the analytics department. The same guy also suggested Ronald at leadoff. But either way, based on the REAL things I've heard and not backchannel stuff, I wouldn't pin Acuna leadoff on Snitker, I'd pin Acuna leadoff on his preference and AA liking it just as much. Since AA likes it I doubt he tells Snitker to stop, so it's going to be up to Snitker on this and would take a massive offensive slump to change it again.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Enscheff--"That is the value the Braves are leaving on the table with a poor tactician like Snit in charge."

Snit would have flunked out of AF War College because he doesn't think "tactics thru" or even understand them. It is becoming more and more obvious every game.

And learning about metrics is akin to trying to teach him to speak Mandarin Chinese.
    I think Snit is good at following directions if the directions are relayed to him concisely. We have seen him improve in areas where it's obvious the FO has given him better data to make better decisions. We have heard him comment on several occasions that now is the first time he has seen some piece of data, and it helps him.

The area he still seems to be poor at is deciding what to do on the spot during a game. Short of the FO sitting down with him and going over every single likely scenario and showing him data, I don't think there's any way to fix it. In the postseason they may very well script out the ~20 most likely scenarios so Snit can follow it, but that's not something that can be done every day for 6 months.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 05-22-2019 at 03:05 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I think Snit is good at following directions if the directions are relayed to him concisely. We have seen him improve in areas where it's obvious the FO has given him better data to make better decisions. We have heard him comment on several occasions that now is the first time he has seen some piece of data, and it helps him.

The area he still seems to be poor at is deciding what to do on the spot during a game. Short of the FO sitting down with him and going over every single likely scenario and showing him data, I don't think there's any way to fix it. In the postseason they may very well script out the ~20 most likely scenarios so Snit can follow it, but that's not something that can be done every day for 6 months.
    It needs to change, Sav's lineup is ideal to be honest.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Individual-1 View Post

lol.

I still go with:

Neck
    Ron
    Fred
    Don
    Riles
    Ozz
    Mac-T-Flow
    Dans

While lineup optimization isn't really as significant as we make it out to be sometimes, I agree wholeheartedly with your suggested lineup though I might bat the catcher ahead of Albies the way things have been going.