Page 47 of 70 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957 ... LastLast

Thread: DRAFT IN PROGRESS THREAD ... What's past is preamble

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    232 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    Read the post I was quoting.

I would have taken Lewis 3rd but if we had to pick a pitcher I'd have gone with Puk. Higher upside, lower risk, ready sooner, and a lefty.

I'd probably have gone Muller at 40 and then under slotted 44 with a college senior.
    That makes sense. A college lefty who struggled to go more than 5 innings in any game as a junior, has a stiff front side, command issues, and maturity issues.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    But you need to think of this as your GPA. Would you rather have three 3.5s or a 4.0 and two 3.0s. 3.5 beats 3.33. Your concept of reach in the baseball draft borders on inanity. It's not like they took a guy in the 200s on BA's rankings.
    The problem with your analogy is that it's not a straight average in baseball. One A+ and two Fs is often worth more than 3 Bs. Would the Mets trade us Thor for Teheran, Wisler, and Blair? Probably not.

It's more like this, would you rather have one 60 inch TV and two 18 inch TVs or three 27 inch TVs?

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Dykstra develops into a Prado-type and that wouldn't be a bad thing.
    Might be bad for [MENTION=18]Dalyn[/MENTION].
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

GovClintonTyree (06-11-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KB21 View Post
    That makes sense. A college lefty who struggled to go more than 5 innings in any game as a junior, has a stiff front side, command issues, and maturity issues.
    Better than a high school right handed who no source has said has ace potential and who won't throw a pitch for us until Freeman is in his decline.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    232 Posts
    Names that interest me at 80:

Jared Horn, RHP, Vintage HS, Napa, CA
    Drew Mendoza, SS/3B, Lake Minneola HS, Minneola, FL
    Austin Hays, OF, Jacksonville
    Heath Quinn, OF, Samford
    Thomas Jones, OF, Laurens, SC
    Jeff Belge, LHP, Henninger HS, Syracuse, NY
    Braden Ogle, LHP, Jensen Beach HS, FL
    Cooper Johnson, C, Carmel HS, Mundelein, IL

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    232 Posts
    Better than a high school right handed who no source has said has ace potential and who won't throw a pitch for us until Freeman is in his decline.
    No source says he has ace potential? Brian Bridges compared him to Mike Mussina, and I believe Mussina was an ace pitcher when he played. Brian Bridges is the only source that matters as well.

Roaming in Rome
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    Names that interest me at 80:

Jared Horn, RHP, Vintage HS, Napa, CA
    Drew Mendoza, SS/3B, Lake Minneola HS, Minneola, FL
    Austin Hays, OF, Jacksonville
    Heath Quinn, OF, Samford
    Thomas Jones, OF, Laurens, SC
    Jeff Belge, LHP, Henninger HS, Syracuse, NY
    Braden Ogle, LHP, Jensen Beach HS, FL
    Cooper Johnson, C, Carmel HS, Mundelein, IL
    Ideally I'd hope for Quinn. But him, Mendoza, Belge, Banks would all be awesome in my mind. Also, if he's there at our second pick today I expect us to take Jesus Luzardo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Here's what I'm sure of...

No matter what the Braves did yesterday, it would have been staunchly defended by the usual suspects
    classic non-analysis and unthoughtful post from you.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    The problem with your analogy is that it's not a straight average in baseball. One A+ and two Fs is often worth more than 3 Bs. Would the Mets trade us Thor for Teheran, Wisler, and Blair? Probably not.

It's more like this, would you rather have one 60 inch TV and two 18 inch TVs or three 27 inch TVs?
    These analogies all depend on opinion still. Would you rather have a 60-inch TV and two 18-inch TVs, or a 54-inch TV and two 42-inch TVs? You can take the same analogy and twist it depending on what you think of each player.

I'm fine with our strategy, I like the players we got. You obviously have an issue with it, and that's fine. But you have to acknowledge that it's possible the Braves just really like Anderson and were also able to use savings on him to get two other players they really like that they consider much better than what they could have had at slot value.

Again, we'll just have to wait and see. No one knows whether we did the right thing at this point. If Anderson, Wentz, and Muller all bust hard and Lewis turns into a 40-HR masher in the majors, it was dumb. If two of those pitchers turn into good major league starters and there is no superstar out of the top of the draft, it was genius.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to smootness For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Read the post I was quoting.

I would have taken Lewis 3rd but if we had to pick a pitcher I'd have gone with Puk. Higher upside, lower risk, ready sooner, and a lefty.

I'd probably have gone Muller at 40 and then under slotted 44 with a college senior.
    you would've taken the guy that went 11th at #3?
    reach.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    512 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by auyushu View Post
    I actually am fine with our first 4 picks yesterday, as long as we got top tier talent at 40/44 I was fine with Anderson, and we did. But we have to start being more balanced with our drafts, or our offense is going to suck forever.

I think you are reaching a bit with the top ten a bit there from last year though. Allard and Soroka are no doubt studs, and I like Minter a good deal, but outside of Weigel being a nice surprise I'm not seeing anyone else there blowing the doors off (though need to see more of Guardado for sure, he could be a steal). It was a solid draft (and compared to the crap show that was the Wren/DeMacio drafts it certainly looks amazing), but it's not something that's going to make me say our guys know better than all the other team's front offices and are unquestionable.

Riley is actually looking like every bit as much of reach as people were calling the FO out for last year at this point.
    I'm not necessarily talking about them all working out. I'm saying that the draft philosophy was a welcome change. I've not seen this much interaction and caring about our drafts since before Wren. At least the Braves are aiming for higher ceiling players who probably flame out more times than not, but I can take that over the safe "should have drafted them at 100" type players we've been drafting.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Not if Anderson turns into a better player.

Puk is not someone I wanted at 3. You said he has a high ceiling and less risk, I think he has more risk than just about any player in the draft. There is a very small % chance he turns into something really good, IMO. He's already 21 and not dominating college hitters. That's not a good sign. He won 2 games for the #1 team in the country.

15 starts and 70 IP is horrific, and he didn't dominate even in those innings. No thanks.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Also, you think Keith Law had a HS pitcher without an ace ceiling ranked #7 on his board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    No source says he has ace potential? Brian Bridges compared him to Mike Mussina, and I believe Mussina was an ace pitcher when he played. Brian Bridges is the only source that matters as well.
    There are some indications Bridges wanted Senzel at #3.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    classic non-analysis and unthoughtful post from you.
    Likewise for this one...

My take on the draft:

- In a vacuum, it was a fine haul for us

- With context, I can't get my head around the absolute avoidance of taking hitters. They have higher probabilities to make the Majors and the system desperately needs them. I get BPA... but you can't convince me that the last two years we couldn't have found a hitter we liked as much or better than the 10 million pitchers we took in the high rounds

- Like striker, I don't like reaching at 3 to get a bit more quality later... it's not a strategy that was terrible - as Anderson is obviously a good talent. But it will hurt if Lewis or Ray becomes a stud offensive player and we finally had an opportunity to draft this high

- We should stop counting our chickens on the international market. It sounds like we've got good odds at Matian but there's no way I'm writing him into our system until he's signed.

- Additionally, these international markets are full of children... they won't be making an impact on our team til the next decade - if they make an impact at all

- Looks like we'll have to find our offense in other ways. Not saying we can't, but we've had a ton of picks in the early rounds the last two years and did not acquire any hitting with it. It is baffling. But it appears the market is valuing pitching highly so I'm hopeful we will be able to swing more trades

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Again, I'm not downing Anderson, but how meaningful is that comp, really?

If we're supposed to take the FO statements about the MLB product with a grain of salt, shouldn't we treat these the same way?

Roaming in Rome
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post

Puk is not someone I wanted at 3. You said he has a high ceiling and less risk, I think he has more risk than just about any player in the draft. There is a very small % chance he turns into something really good, IMO. He's already 21 and not dominating college hitters. That's not a good sign. He won 2 games for the #1 team in the country.

15 starts and 70 IP is horrific, and he didn't dominate even in those innings. No thanks.
    His stuff is outrageous but I think he's gonna bust since his command probably can't improve enough to be effective

20. The Following User Says Thank You to praeceps93 For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    Again, I'm not downing Anderson, but how meaningful is that comp, really?

If we're supposed to take the FO statements about the MLB product with a grain of salt, shouldn't we treat these the same way?
    Plus Bridges has been hinting that there were some bats they coveted but ended up not being available when the Braves picked. Anderson was ok in my book once Moniak and Senzel were off the board. But I think there are some strong indications the Braves would have taken those two if they were available.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (06-10-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post

Want to talk small percentage chance?

Per FoxSports:

"High-school pitchers bring risk. Perhaps the most volatile position group in baseball's draft process, history has not been kind to prep arms going in the first five picks. From 1990 to 2010, only three high-school arms bubbled up to become viable MLB starters: Kerry Wood, Josh Beckett and Gavin Floyd."

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,477 Posts
    I don't hate what we did, but it is confusing to me. Coppy has even acknowledged that the most sure thing to produce is college hitters while the most risky is high school pitchers. But that's all we continue to acquire.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to CJ9 For This Useful Post: