Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: Swanson getting the call...

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    If he develops as we hope, Swanson will draw comparisons to Yount and Ripken on the high end or Barry Larkin on the low end. Either is acceptable to me.
    Last edited by VirginiaBrave; 08-18-2016 at 01:32 AM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,989 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Millwood1Hitter View Post
    Swanson's not ready, I don't care how he performs for the rest of the year. For all I care he could hit .500 with a 1.000 OPS over the next month and a half and it doesn't mean anything. He's not ready and he shouldn't be on the big leaguer roster. We are setting ourselves back 20 years by making this move just like we did rushing Andruw and Heyward to the bigs.

We messed it up with Andruw. He should have stayed another year in the minors and learned how to lay off of outside breaking pitches and go the other way.

We messed it up with Frenchy. He should have been held in the minors for another 3 years to learn and pickup plate discipline.

We messed it up with Heyward. He should be the 3rd best overall player in the game behind Trout and Harper and instead he's basically a fourth outfielder, Al Martin redux.

All 3 great talents that never realized their potential cause they were rushed and never learned to play the game the right way.
    Lol, so their "failures" are all to blame on the FO, not the players themselves...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

clvclv (08-18-2016)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Lol, so their "failures" are all to blame on the FO, not the players themselves...
    Actually it's all Fredi's fault.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

VirginiaBrave (08-18-2016)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dak View Post
    Saw the clip of Coppy on MLB Network. When asked about the chances that Albies comes up in September, he left it pretty open-ended but noted that they don't feel that Albies is currently as advanced as Swanson. I'm hoping that means what I think it means . . . June 2017.
    That could be a decision made in spring training after we know the new CBA guidelines that come out in Januray and if we think Jace can handle 2B well for a couple of months.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaBrave View Post
    If he develops as we hope, Swanson will draw comparisons to Yount and Ripken on the high end or Barry Larkin on the low end. Either is acceptable to me.
    I think Barry was better than either of those guys.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Some of y'all ain't never never admit Heyward is what he is which is a dud.

Im confused on your grammar, but Heyward is far from a dud.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Barry Larkin is a good comp outside of those random power years

Hysterical Girlfriend
    That Storms Out and
    Returns the Next Day
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    If Frenchy has better avg, HR's, and RBI's....you might be a dud. The Braves dodged a huge bullet on this guy.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mossy View Post
    If Frenchy has better avg, HR's, and RBI's....you might be a dud. The Braves dodged a huge bullet on this guy.
    What bullet is that? Unless you expect Heyward to be this bad of a hitter for the rest of his career. Personally I still expect his 2015 season going forward. If he hits this poorly next season I might change my mind.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    big league
    Even though the transcripts apparently say "big league", to me it will always be "bigly". I was shocked to see that this was actually in the dictionary.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mossy View Post
    Heywards offensive numbers dwarf Frenchies.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    Agreed.

He's also far from a $184 million player as well.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Agreed.

He's also far from a $184 million player as well.
    Not enough information. Because a 184 million player could be 9 years and 20 million or 6 years and 30 million.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,289 Posts
    I know the Cubs wouldn't make the trade and the Braves wouldn't be the team to make the trade, but Heyward would be an awesome buy low move.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Not enough information. Because a 184 million player could be 9 years and 20 million or 6 years and 30 million.
    Semantics.

I'm just glad the Braves aren't paying it.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts
    Semantics.

I'm just glad the Braves aren't paying it.
    Not really. It actually matters a lot. I do feel OF is the one area though where the Braves will overpay at, in $$$, when it comes for the time to go for it.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Not really. It actually matters a lot. I do feel OF is the one area though where the Braves will overpay at, in $$$, when it comes for the time to go for it.
    Quite possibly (or even likely). They'll be overpaying for someone that can hit though, and Jason certainly doesn't look like he'll ever be that guy.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    I think Swanson is most likely to be the next Alan Trammell (career slash of .285/.352/.415, 185 career HRs).

Larkin and Jeter are actually decent comps too, but that is probably his ceiling offensively (~.815 OPS for both). Trammell had a bit more defense than Larkin and Jeter, and a little less offense, but all 3 ultimately ended up with a very similar career WAR in the low 70s.

He will never have anywhere close to the power of Ripken (431 HRs), and should be a better defender at SS than Larkin, Jeter and Yount (who played half his career in CF).
    Last edited by Enscheff; 08-18-2016 at 11:40 AM.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts
    Quite possibly (or even likely). They'll be overpaying for someone that can hit though, and Jason certainly doesn't look like he'll ever be that guy.
    I don't understand because 2012-2015 did happen. Where he put up a 273/348/433 - 118 WRC+ in 2350 PA's. Is that not being able to hit?

You have the 'hitting first' OF in Justin Upton who hit 266/346/460 - 123 WRC+ in that same time frame.

Both of those were paid 20+ million a year for those numbers. Heyward got paid a little more and a little longer for obvious reasons. But the truth is that an OF in the 120 WRC+ range is going to be getting 20+ per year and that number will go up as times goes on.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I think Swanson is most likely to be the next Alan Trammell (career slash of .285/.352/.415, 185 career HRs).

Larkin and Jeter are actually decent comps too, but that is probably his ceiling offensively (~.815 OPS for both). Trammell had a bit more defense than Larkin and Jeter, and a little less offense, but all 3 ultimately ended up with a very similar career WAR in the low 70s.

He will never have anywhere close to the power of Ripken (431 HRs), and should be a better defender at SS than Larkin, Jeter and Yount (who played half his career in CF).
    I'll be just fine with Swanson becoming Trammell, that's a really good player right there, he had 400+ doubles and also stole 200+ bases.