Page 66 of 85 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,320 of 1693

Thread: The Don

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    The NYT just broke the law by illegally publishing Trump's past income return. It shows what most everyone already expected. Trump took a big loss at one point and has used that to pay little tax since that point. Trump could win the election on this if he handled this right. Spoiler alert, he won't.
    How?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    How?
    "Like the New York Times, I took advantage of tax laws at the time to do what was best for my business. I know these laws better than anyone and will fix them. But now it's my time to give back to you the american public and change the laws that allow business people like me to avoid paying taxes.

But most importantly, this shows just how rigged the system is. The NYT is willing to face a major lawsuit and even go to jail to support the Clinton machine. Time and time again we've seen just how corrupt the media is. We now know for a fact that the media is corrupt, the DOJ is corrupt and the FBI is corrupt and will do anything to protect the Clinton machine. The only way to fix this is to elect an outsider candidate" - I would start with something along those lines.

Now here's what I think he'll say:

"I'm a very good business man. We took a loss at the time because I'm a genius when it comes taxes. The failing nytimes is terrible. I've created thousands of jobs and created great hotels and golf courses. Nobody is as good as I am at business. Miss USA is a terrible person. Women are fat."
    thank you weso1!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to weso1 For This Useful Post:

acesfull86 (10-02-2016), BedellBrave (10-02-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    the tax returns are a yawn. If he is simply using the code to his advantage, more power to him.

What's much more damning imo is the way he operates his so called charity - using contributions meant for charity to buy luxury items for himself and pay lawyers.
    Last edited by Runnin; 10-02-2016 at 11:05 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Also, wouldn't hurt to bring up the fact that the Clinton's were in office when he took advantage of the tax laws.
    thank you weso1!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to weso1 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-03-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Also, wouldn't hurt to bring up the fact that the Clinton's were in office when he took advantage of the tax laws.
    What's that got to do with anything?

Not Actually Brian Hunter Metaphysicist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AerchAngel View Post
    so says you.

It is a derogatory used by whites in my neck of the woods back in the 70's when growing up.

Real life events, capisce.
    That doesn't contradict what I said.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    "Like the New York Times, I took advantage of tax laws at the time to do what was best for my business. I know these laws better than anyone and will fix them. But now it's my time to give back to you the american public and change the laws that allow business people like me to avoid paying taxes.

But most importantly, this shows just how rigged the system is. The NYT is willing to face a major lawsuit and even go to jail to support the Clinton machine. Time and time again we've seen just how corrupt the media is. We now know for a fact that the media is corrupt, the DOJ is corrupt and the FBI is corrupt and will do anything to protect the Clinton machine. The only way to fix this is to elect an outsider candidate" - I would start with something along those lines.

"I'm a very good business man. We took a loss at the time because I'm a genius when it comes taxes. The failing nytimes is terrible. I've created thousands of jobs and created great hotels and golf courses. Nobody is as good as I am at business. Miss USA is a terrible person. Women are fat."
    He'll say all of those things and it will work with some folks, but those folks have pretty much already made up their minds to support him. I think it will hurt him with independent voters. I don't think beating up on The New York Times helps him much. He'll get some anti-establishment cred, but I think a lot of folks will be ticked off that--legally or not--he escaped paying a ton of taxes.

What I find rich is that the statement he released talks about all the other taxes he paid while not paying income taxes--property taxes, sales and excise taxes, etc.--but that's the same argument used to dispel the assertion that Dick Cheney's "lucky duckies" who are exempt from federal tax don't pay any tax at all. Curious times.

The charity will likely be a horse of a different color when more of the misappropriation of funds that took place under its auspices is revealed, but the big picture here is that it blunts the transparency issue he's been using against Hillary.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-03-2016)

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Metaphysicist View Post
    That doesn't contradict what I said.
    Who f*cking cares what you think.

I live through the insults and your lilly white ass did not have to endure it, slave master.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts

More like he hired a really good accountant.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    More like he hired a really good accountant.
    or a dozen, and paid them enough to ignore their ethics. But if they were in Trump's orbit they probably don't have any ethics in the first place.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AerchAngel View Post
    Who f*cking cares what you think.

I live through the insults and your lilly white ass did not have to endure it, slave master.
    The point was, I already said I believed it was used as an insult sometimes. I am not denying your experience. Maybe chillax?

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    The point was, I already said I believed it was used as an insult sometimes. I am not denying your experience. Maybe chillax?
    Aight.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    He'll say all of those things and it will work with some folks, but those folks have pretty much already made up their minds to support him. I think it will hurt him with independent voters. I don't think beating up on The New York Times helps him much. He'll get some anti-establishment cred, but I think a lot of folks will be ticked off that--legally or not--he escaped paying a ton of taxes.

What I find rich is that the statement he released talks about all the other taxes he paid while not paying income taxes--property taxes, sales and excise taxes, etc.--but that's the same argument used to dispel the assertion that Dick Cheney's "lucky duckies" who are exempt from federal tax don't pay any tax at all. Curious times.

The charity will likely be a horse of a different color when more of the misappropriation of funds that took place under its auspices is revealed, but the big picture here is that it blunts the transparency issue he's been using against Hillary.
    I think his "anti-establishment" bit is insane. "Establishment", to me, is money. Money is the establishment. He was born part of that. He's bragged about buying politicians in the past. He is absolutely establishment, he just has no idea how politics, or the world, work.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to yeezus For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-03-2016)

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Your own article doesn't really support your point. Reminds me of people getting upset about "niggardly."

I don't doubt that some people have called black kids "tar babies," but that's not the common usage (I looked in a couple of online dictionaries and none of them referenced the racial angle). I would liken it to calling folks "monkeys;" calling a person either one is wildly offensive, but the use of the word in it's proper context has no implied racial overtones.
    It's the second definition listed on wiktionary, which is usually quite reliable; that site doesn't list its second definition as obscure, archaic, or obsolete; OED agrees that the derogatory connotation is secondary but operational/current (with the surprising addition that it's also used pejoratively in New Zealand against Maori). Personally—and maybe I've just read too much Toni Morrison, alongside none of the Br'er Rabbit stories—I was actually unaware until now that "tar baby" had any connotations that weren't overtly racist; I've always seen (or heard) it used, essentially, synonymously with the term "pickaninny".

I think it's somewhat of a different species than "niggardly", which has absolutely zero connection to that other word outside of slant homophony: not only is the meaning of a substantially different sphere, but the etymology (likely, ultimately, Old Norse) is world's away from our nation's history of chattel slavery and racial subjugation. The phrase "tar baby", though—even with a separate, standardized meaning, which was/is perhaps not meant to be racially-charged—nonetheless derives from stories about the American South and subjugated African-Americans. (Hell, Uncle Remus is even a controversial figure in modern re-readings of Harris' work.)
    Last edited by jpx7; 10-03-2016 at 05:03 PM.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    The NYT just broke the law by illegally publishing Trump's past income return..
    no, they didn't
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    no, they didn't
    Unless they were involved in a criminal conspiracy to acquire them, which is possible but not probable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    It's the second definition listed on wiktionary, which is usually quite reliable; that site doesn't list its second definition as obscure, archaic, or obsolete; OED agrees that the derogatory connotation is secondary but operational/current
    I'm not denying that people out in the world have used the term derisively; the point is that such usage is waaay less common, to the point that it is almost unknown to most people who use the original meaning. And it's not that it doesn't exist in any dictionary anywhere, but that it is uncommon enough that many do not include it.

The secondary meaning almost certainly comes from the fact that it sounds like a racial slur, which becomes somewhat self-fulfilling (this is what AA's quote ended up saying).

Personally—and maybe I've just read too much Toni Morrison, alongside none of the Br'er Rabbit stories—I was actually unaware until now that "tar baby" had any connotations that weren't overtly racist; I've always seen (or heard) it used, essentially, synonymously with the term "pickaninny".
    I don't know how you could have read Toni Morrison's Tar Baby and not gotten the "sticky problem" meaning. Morrison is hardly known for the subtleties of her metaphors, especially the ones in the dang title. I haven't read that one, but I just can't imagine she doesn't explain the story and the moral.

I have ask, just how often are you hearing people call black kids "tar babies"? I've literally never heard that in my own personal life (though I accept that it surely happens and believe AA when he says it happened to him). Seems weird to me that you would have heard this so often as to have a strong memory of it, but never heard the original meaning. In contemporary news, it mostly just comes up when old white politicians get yelled at for using it in the non-racial way.

I think it's somewhat of a different species than "niggardly", which has absolutely zero connection to that other word outside of slant homophony: not only is the meaning of a substantially different sphere, but the etymology (likely, ultimately, Old Norse) is world's away from our nation's history of chattel slavery and racial subjugation.
    Gotta disagree here; I think your own anecdote shows how it mirrors niggardly, even if not perfectly exact. You said were personally unaware of the original completely non-racist meaning of the term until just now, and have been assuming it is an insult (I am guessing based on how it sounded combined with scant personal exposure; anyone with a full familiarity with the term would know the original meaning). I also think my comparison to the word "monkey" still holds, perhaps more accurately. The main meaning is non-racial, but calling a person such a thing is an obvious racial slur.

The phrase "tar baby", though—even with a separate, standardized meaning, which was/is perhaps not meant to be racially-charged—nonetheless derives from stories about the American South and subjugated African-Americans.
    I not sure how this makes the origin of the term "racist" in any facet. It's not like calling the Big Dipper the Drinking Gourd is somehow a racial epithet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Trump's unraveling is the best news story of this century so far.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    LOLGOP ‏@LOLGOP 2m2 minutes ago

Trump was told that his Foundation can no longer raise money and that was only the fourth worst news story for him of yesterday afternoon.
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    I think his "anti-establishment" bit is insane. "Establishment", to me, is money. Money is the establishment. He was born part of that. He's bragged about buying politicians in the past. He is absolutely establishment, he just has no idea how politics, or the world, work.
    I agree wholeheartedly. I think Trump has always viewed himself as somewhat of an outsider (or at least as much as one can be an outsider and be part of high society). But here's a guy who has really done nothing for the people who are now following him. If not insane, Cloud Cuckoo Land is clearly in view.

Curious to see if the PTSD remarks dig a deeper hole for him. There are days I think he wants to lose.