Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: J. D. Martinez

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts

J. D. Martinez

Now even more interested in him. Tigers aren't looking to extend him (as I guessed earlier). If we could move Markakis, Mallex and an arm or two might be enough to get him.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/1...or-tigers.html
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

Garmel (10-20-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    He's a helluva hitter. Not sure how the defense will be with he and Kemp in the same outfield, but his season last year is showing as way worse defensively than previous years. He's probably not that bad.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,323 Posts
    Yes and hell yes. We'd have great power in this lineup with him, Kemp and Freddy.

Still Playing the Waiting Game DaneHill's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    268 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Now even more interested in him. Tigers aren't looking to extend him (as I guessed earlier). If we could move Markakis, Mallex and an arm or two might be enough to get him.

Read your post, then saw this comment by someone:

"I have a feeling that this chat is about to turn into Braves fans offering Nick Markakis and one of their lesser pitching prospects for him."

6. The Following User Says Thank You to DaneHill For This Useful Post:

Knucksie (10-20-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garmel View Post
    Yes and hell yes. We'd have great power in this lineup with him, Kemp and Freddy.
    PLEASE.

Inciarte CF
    Swanson SS
    Freeman 1B
    Martinez LF
    Kemp RF
    Albies 2B
    Rio/Garcia 3B
    Flowers? C
    Pitcher

That's a darn solid lineup.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to UNCBlue012 For This Useful Post:

Garmel (10-20-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Give me Ramos, and Martinez on a long term deal. I'd take that as an every day lineup and like my chances quite a bit.
    Ivermectin Man

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

Hudson2 (10-20-2016), JohnAdcox (10-21-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DaneHill View Post

"I have a feeling that this chat is about to turn into Braves fans offering Nick Markakis and one of their lesser pitching prospects for him."
    Clv is a twit, but to be fair to him, I think he suggested moving Markakis, and then using Mallex plus a couple arms to acquire JD.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Give me Ramos, and Martinez on a long term deal. I'd take that as an every day lineup and like my chances quite a bit.
    If you couldn't tell, I love constructing lineups on here lol

Inciarte CF
    Swanson SS
    Freeman 1B
    Kemp RF
    Martinez LF
    Ramos C
    Rio/Garcia 3B
    Teheran
    Albies 2B

Damn.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DaneHill View Post

Markakis wouldn't be going to the Tigers (although that'd be great for us) - but his contract certainly isn't the albatross many predicted at this point. If clearing it created the money to pay Martinez, I wouldn't think Coppy would even ask for much in return.

If they wanted Nick to fill the hole to remain competitive, I can't imagine just "a lesser pitching prospect" would be enough. I mentioned before that something like Markakis, Mallex, and Sims for Martinez and Anibel Sanchez might not be that bad for either side. We'd be "swapping" RFs (their money is a wash), and the Tigers would get Mallex to replace Maybin (saving them $8 million) plus Sims to replace Sanchez (saving them another $21 million). That would make them much younger and clear lots of payroll in the same deal - while also keeping them in the mix.

On our end, it would also "fix" our OF logjam while adding a big-time hitter. We're currently sitting around $80 million without renewals (I'm already including projected arbitration raises), so adding Sanchez would push us to around the $100 - $105 million level. That adds one of the veteran SPs Coppy's talked about adding - meaning you'd still have ~$15 million to add another one and spend on a C. Say you added Castro at 2/$12 million and another arm in the $8 million range, you'd have...

CF- Inciarte, 2B- Swanson, RF- Martinez, 1B-Freeman, LF- Kemp, 3B- Ruiz/Garcia, C- Castro/Flowers, 2B- Peterson (Albies when they decide to plug him in)

Rotation - Julio, Folty, Sanchez, veteran FA, Wisler/Blair/etc.

I wouldn't mind breaking camp with that in the least. Sanchez comes off the books following 2017 ($5 million buyout), and we should have a number of potential replacements ready by then.
    Last edited by clvclv; 10-20-2016 at 03:21 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    I'd def be down for JD. If we took Sanchez we would give up less and fill a rotation need at the same time. Coppy will pull off something like this hopefully this offseason. It will take a better pitcher than Sims though I'm sure.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    345 Posts
    Heck no to JD! That guy is the modern day Reggie Sanders and we saw how that worked out for us in 2000. Those are exactly the type of guys we need to stay away from...free swingers who got power. Give me somebody like Neck who has a professional at bat almost every time he steps to the plate.

We need to pattern ourselves after the mid to late 90s Yanks, which if you remember didn't have great sluggers but a professional hitter at every spot that worked counts, moved runners over, and wore opposing pitchers down giving them a chance to win almost every game no matter who they wer're facing.

Contrast that to us if that era, I'd say we had an advantage from a sexy point of view or standard stats point of view at every position but we had to many free swingers that struggled against elite pitching and if they weren't hitting homers they weren't scoring runs.

We need power? We got Freddie who appeared to take the next step and just might be our modern day Chipper. We have Kemp. No doubt we need to upgrade at some positions and we could use some additional power but let's not go that route of building our lineup against guys like Kemp and Martinez cause they can really bomb it.

Give me Bernie, Tino, and ONeill over Andruw, Reggie, and Jordan.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Millwood1Hitter For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (10-20-2016)

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Millwood1Hitter View Post
    Heck no to JD! That guy is the modern day Reggie Sanders and we saw how that worked out for us in 2000. Those are exactly the type of guys we need to stay away from...free swingers who got power. Give me somebody like Neck who has a professional at bat almost every time he steps to the plate.

We need to pattern ourselves after the mid to late 90s Yanks, which if you remember didn't have great sluggers but a professional hitter at every spot that worked counts, moved runners over, and wore opposing pitchers down giving them a chance to win almost every game no matter who they wer're facing.

Contrast that to us if that era, I'd say we had an advantage from a sexy point of view or standard stats point of view at every position but we had to many free swingers that struggled against elite pitching and if they weren't hitting homers they weren't scoring runs.

We need power? We got Freddie who appeared to take the next step and just might be our modern day Chipper. We have Kemp. No doubt we need to upgrade at some positions and we could use some additional power but let's not go that route of building our lineup against guys like Kemp and Martinez cause they can really bomb it.

Give me Bernie, Tino, and ONeill over Andruw, Reggie, and Jordan.
    Revisionist history.

1995 Yanks - 122 HR in 144 games and finished 2nd in AL east, lost DS fired Showalter hired Torre
    1996 - 162 HR, 1st AL east won WS (hanging slider to Leyritz)
    1997 - 161 HR 2nd AL East, lost DS
    1998 - 207 HR 1st AL East, Won WS
    1999 - 193 HR 1st AL East, Won WS

Those Yankee teams weren't a bunch of slap hitting grinders. Professional hitters? Whatever that means. Last I checked ALL ML batters were "professional hitters."

Mostly the best teams were balanced power teams from top to bottom (No Bonds hitting 80 HR with the rest of the team hitting a few here and there).

Called Up to the Major Leagues ixiXSolidXixi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Lol those Yankees homer because they play in a kids park. We need contact hitters " we had Hector Olivera before" lol just joking.... What we need is the Edgar Martinez or someone with playoff experience. Thats why i am not sold in trade Markakis.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    I think JD has more value to an AL team as a future DH than he does to us. As much as I'd like the RH power I don't think he's a guy we'd go for.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts

You would have to add a lot to Markakis and Mallex to get Martinez.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    You would have to add a lot to Markakis and Mallex to get Martinez.
    What part of "and an arm or two" didn't infer that?

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    What part of "and an arm or two" didn't infer that?
    "An arm or two" implies a low level pitching prospect. If you want an upper echelon hitter, those are better be significant. A replacement letter player, a fringe prospect plus what for a very good hitter in his prime? Folty?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    "An arm or two" implies a low level pitching prospect. If you want an upper echelon hitter, those are better be significant. A replacement letter player, a fringe prospect plus what for a very good hitter in his prime? Folty?
    I didn't guess. I mentioned Sims as a potential piece. I have no idea what Al Avila would accept.

Who peed in your Corn Flakes this morning?

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    I didn't guess. I mentioned Sims as a potential piece. I have no idea what Al Avila would accept.

Who peed in your Corn Flakes this morning?
    Sorry for attempting to bring logic to your thread.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to gilesfan For This Useful Post:

CJ9 (10-21-2016)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Sorry for attempting to bring logic to your thread.
    It might take someone like Folty toget them to bite, who knows? If it did, I wouldn't be too keen on that and would hope that would be the end of the call for Coppy. Your statement was "You would have to add a lot to Markakis and Mallex to get Martinez." No one has acted like it wouldn't. Of course, offering to take Sanchez and his $21 million off their books SHOULD lower the level of prospect they could ask for IMO. If it didn't, I'd simply say "thanks, but no thanks Al"'.
    Last edited by clvclv; 10-21-2016 at 09:19 AM.