Page 35 of 59 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 Postseason Thread

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    I'm not even sure what you are even getting at. They are using the best pitchers on the team in low leverage situations. That cannot be argued.

Cleveland could come in and blow the Cubs out tomorrow, but that doesnt mean it was the right move. Why ride guys when you don't have to?
    You said it yourself - they may not NEED him tomorrow.

Francona made a great call IMO. He seized the chance to absolutely take the series by the throat. They now only have to win one of three - AND have a day off. If he'd like, he can make Miller unavailable today and still have him for multiple innings in both Games 6 and 7. If everything goes wrong Sunday and Tuesday, the Cubs will still be staring at Kluber and Miller one more time - and in Cleveland to boot.

No one who ever complained about Fredi's "unbelievable faux pas" when he didn't go to Kimbrel can possibly be serious when criticizing this move. This is the World Series, and it's all hands on deck - if Miller was tired, he'd have told Francona he needed a day.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (10-30-2016)

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    You are comparing not using your best pitcher in a 1 run game with using him in a 6 run game. You dont need Miller/Allen to seize anything up 6 runs. Using ofher guys has a lot of benefits.

You never know how the next game with go and there is no need to work your worse horses in low leverage situations.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    It's interesting that Francona used Miller but not Allen last night. There is some logic in this. A five or six run lead is less secure in the 7th inning than the 9th.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Making miller unavailable today would be the dumbest managerial move this entire post season. And that is saying a lot with Dusty managing. But if Miller can't go or gives up a lead then Francona F'd up last night. Up 6 you let guys not often used go and have your studs ready if anything starts to go wrong. You could have had miller for 3 innings today and Allen for 2.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Making miller unavailable today would be the dumbest managerial move this entire post season. And that is saying a lot with Dusty managing. But if Miller can't go or gives up a lead then Francona F'd up last night. Up 6 you let guys not often used go and have your studs ready if anything starts to go wrong. You could have had miller for 3 innings today and Allen for 2.
    Tell that to Bochy and the Giants who used 5 Pitchers to blow a 3 run lead in the 9th against the Cubs this month. Or to Maddon who's been using Chapman in non-save situations lately.

You win the game when you have a chance to win the game in October - period.
    Last edited by clvclv; 10-30-2016 at 10:13 AM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (10-30-2016)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Tell that to Bochy and the Giants who used 5 Pitchers to blow a 3 run lead in the 9th against the Cubs this month. Or to Maddon who's been using Chapman in non-save situations lately.

You win the game when you have a chance to win the game in October - period.
    Bochy doesn't have Miller and Allen and a 3 run lead is still HALF of a 6 run lead. I understand winning the game you are playing and if this was elimination or clinching.. I might feel different.. but you have a chance to close this out today and having your best players available at their absolute best is more important than protecting a 6 run lead. Now that said, he probably has Allen for at least 2 innings today if he can close them out.. Salazar is also ready and able to pitch, and I bet Miller is ready for at least one inning.. Just would worry that Miller would not be 100%..

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Craziness. Like 90% of baseball writers/experts picked Cubs.

Indians pitching has just been outrageous. Now Kluber is guaranteed to go at least 1 more time. Although I think if it's game 6 and Indians are on verge of winning, I think Francona wouldn't hesitate to use Kluber late in the game.
    Forever Fredi

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Fredi View Post
    Craziness. Like 90% of baseball writers/experts picked Cubs.

Indians pitching has just been outrageous. Now Kluber is guaranteed to go at least 1 more time. Although I think if it's game 6 and Indians are on verge of winning, I think Francona wouldn't hesitate to use Kluber late in the game.

very possible, but that better be a sure thing, because if you blow your game 7 starter, then you just cost the Series. I think he hopes to get Bauer through 4 innings and start using the pen early.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    starting pitching matchup strongly favors the cubs tonight...i think that is part of the reason francona used miller for 2 innings last night

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    starting pitching matchup strongly favors the cubs tonight...i think that is part of the reason francona used miller for 2 innings last night
    I just think people underestimate the chances of winning when up a few runs.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

13. The Following User Says Thank You to gilesfan For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (10-30-2016)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    532 Posts
    Go Indians.....so we can get this offseason started next weekend.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to WaitingFor2017 For This Useful Post:

bravesfanMatt (10-30-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    I just think people underestimate the chances of winning when up a few runs.
    we're comparing two very small numbers: how much using miller improved their chances in game four vs how much their chances in game 5 were hurt

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    we're comparing two very small numbers: how much using miller improved their chances in game four vs how much their chances in game 5 were hurt
    Probably. But, if they used Miller 1 inning yesterday, they could possibly get 4-5 innings out of Miller/Allen tonight. Might be asking too much now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    if the indians are tied or ahead after the fifth tonight, we'll see Miller...for how long depends on his effectiveness, pitch count and lineup considerations

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    if the indians are tied or ahead after the fifth tonight, we'll see Miller...for how long depends on his effectiveness, pitch count and lineup considerations
    Right, but how effective will he be and for how long? Its at least less likely than if he went only 1 inning yesterday.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Wow for a second I thought that was Lincecum pitching for Cleveland.
    Forever Fredi

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Heyward's funk continues. Somehow I expect him to get a big hit before this thing is over.

PS--Not following Maddon here. Why hit for Ross with 2 outs?

PPS--Now it makes even less sense because he was pulling Lester anyway. Wasted a bench bat with the ensuing double-switch.
    Last edited by 50PoundHead; 10-30-2016 at 09:31 PM.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    345 Posts
    Why take Rossy out? He's pretty much the reason the Cubs are winning tonight. You got the lead, I want Ross behind the plate.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Millwood1Hitter View Post
    Why take Rossy out? He's pretty much the reason the Cubs are winning tonight. You got the lead, I want Ross behind the plate.
    With Lester coming out, I think Maddon wanted to do a double-switch, but I think it was a mistake not to let Ross bat. The chances of scoring a run with two out and no one on is the lowest percentage out there. Wasted a bat.

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,812 Posts
    Baez more lost at the plate than Heyward right now
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide