Page 38 of 45 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast

Thread: Winter Meetings Thread

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    I get the numbers, but I don't see them as the definitive values you do. If either Giolito or Lopez hits, they will provide way more value than Eaton.

And even in light of payroll limitations, I value talent over monetary savings, especially for a team like the Nats. Eaton is a good to very good player, but I believe Giolito/Lopez is a significant overpay.
    Yea that's the whole idea behind calculating the value of a prospect. Either pitcher could boom or bust, and the average of those potential outcomes is what makes them worth what they are worth.

The fact you think they will be better than the historic average doesn't mean anything. All top prospects that bust were thought by many people to be great...that's why they were top prospects.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Smh you guys do realize Albies had a .391 OBP this season in AA and only had 4 HRs?! So your point IS NOT VALID!

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    I get the numbers, but I don't see them as the definitive values you do. If either Giolito or Lopez hits, they will provide way more value than Eaton.

And even in light of payroll limitations, I value talent over monetary savings, especially for a team like the Nats. Eaton is a good to very good player, but I believe Giolito/Lopez is a significant overpay.
    Lopez of Giolito could "hit" and not be 4 WaR players. If one of the two reach their ceiling, they are a 5 WAR guy, which is still in line with Eaton. But obv a chance neither put up 5WAR.

Now if both are TOR starters, its going to look bad. But this contract is so much of a bargain, that they can sign a productive FA to help.

I wouldnt have added Lopez, but it does make sense for both sides

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay212033 View Post
    Smh you guys do realize Albies had a .391 OBP this season in AA and only had 4 HRs?! So your point IS NOT VALID!
    *sigh*

There's a small difference between AA pitching and MLB pitching.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    .307 obp in 200+ AAA ABs.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Haha. This guy is messing with us right? I can't imagine anyone is actually this dumb.

Lynchburg Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    I understand that Coppy and Hart think we are a playoff team and all but man with the royals getting soler for wade and all tbat tbe sox got for eaton and sale i kinda wish we dangled ender/tehran/viz

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    I wasnt talking about the Braves
    I think he was.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mqt View Post
    *sigh*

There's a small difference between AA pitching and MLB pitching.
    Lord Jesus on my soul! I NEVER said he'd do it this season, next season or anytime soon I said he could IN HIS PRIME!!!!! You guys CANNOT read!

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    .307 obp in 200+ AAA ABs.
    I was talking about his AA stats.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Lord Jesus on my soul! I NEVER said he'd do it this season, next season or anytime soon I said he could IN HIS PRIME!!!!! You guys CANNOT read!
    He will have to increase his HR power to have a shot at a .400 OBP. I know your teeny tiny brain can't figure out why that is, but it's the truth.

Considering he has been tagged with bottom of the scales power, the possibility of that happening is very low.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Yea that's the whole idea behind calculating the value of a prospect. Either pitcher could boom or bust, and the average of those potential outcomes is what makes them worth what they are worth.

The fact you think they will be better than the historic average doesn't mean anything. All top prospects that bust were thought by many people to be great...that's why they were top prospects.
    Yeah, I know that. But it's the fact that they are simply historical averages that makes me not like them as definitive values. In reality, some top prospects will sit near $0 in surplus value while some will be worth $200 million, and it's not all that often that individual players fall near the average.

Obviously no one really knows which prospects will hit, which is why I understand the usefulness of the averages. But it still means the values on the MLB player will be far more correct than the prospect values.

I like using those values, but I'll still make individual evaluations based on individual circumstances and players.

I also like players whose surplus value comes primarily from their talent over players whose surplus value comes from their contract, again, especially for a team like the Nats who are less hampered by a big contract.

And it also comes down to what else the White Sox could have gotten, and I don't think any other offers would have been competitive with what the Nats gave up.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    He will have to increase his HR power to have a shot at a .400 OBP. I know your teeny tiny brain can't figure out why that is, but it's the truth.

Considering he has been tagged with bottom of the scales power, the possibility of that happening is very low.
    Oh my goodness! For your small pea brain just say for instance he hits like he did in AA in the majors in his prime, his OBP was .391 with only 4 count them 4 HRs!!!!!

The Artist Formally Known as

Ventura's Stolen Bases

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    213 Posts
    Of course, but no one is giving us that package for Inciarte. Eaton is better.
    Yeah, I know. :(

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Perfect Cell View Post
    I understand that Coppy and Hart think we are a playoff team and all but man with the royals getting soler for wade and all tbat tbe sox got for eaton and sale i kinda wish we dangled ender/tehran/viz
    The shine is off Soler.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Oh my goodness! For your small pea brain just say for instance he hits like he did in AA in the majors in his prime, his OBP was .391 with only 4 count them 4 HRs!!!!!
    Please stop, man.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Please go educate yourself. Go look at actual MLB stats and try to find a guy with a .400 OBP that didn't hit at least 10 HRs. The last one I can think of is ichiro in 2004.

Literally everyone this site is telling you the same thing, and all these posters are smarter than you. They all know more about baseball than you. You are basically useless when it comes to baseball discussion. You should probably have you internet access revoked by your grandma.

Anywho, another moron put on ignore.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 12-07-2016 at 08:10 PM.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    So is EOF on a minor league deal going to be the big haul for this year's meetings?

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,029 Posts
    Guys with single digit HR power typically peak around a .360-.370 OBP. I don't think that qualifies as "near .400".

And that guy Jay is still, by far, the dumbest poster here.
    After all these months of assuring me that I was the dumbest poster here you just change horses, just like that. I can be stupider than that guy, you're not even giving me a chance.

You're fickle. A fickle ****wit.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to GovClintonTyree For This Useful Post:

DaneHill (12-08-2016)

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,029 Posts
    Please go educate yourself. Go look at actual MLB stats and try to find a guy with a .400 OBP that didn't hit at least 10 HRs. The last one I can think of is ichiro in 2004.

Literally everyone this site is telling you the same thing, and all these posters are smarter than you. They all know more about baseball than you. You are basically useless when it comes to baseball discussion. You should probably have you internet access revoked by your grandma.

Anywho, another moron put on ignore.
    I never put morons on ignore. I just argue with him.