Page 70 of 92 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280 ... LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,400 of 1828

Thread: 2019 MLB Draft Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,698 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    Finally getting a chance to sit at a keyboard so here's my full take on the first 3 picks:

Langeliers
    The defense is legit. His pop times and arm strength are impressive. He blocks well. And he even gets lauded for pitch framing. He could probably stick as a MLB backup catcher today. However, you don't draft guys in the top 10 to be backup catchers. The bat will determine how far he goes. If he's just average with a bat, the defense will carry him to being a starter. But any hiccup with development at the plate and he's likely never more than a backup.

My biggest reservation here is that he could suddenly have a huge chunk of value stolen if MLB goes to robo umps as his pitch framing will be suddenly worthless.

Comp: Jorge Alfaro. Alfaro is a starting quality catcher based on defense and hitting enough. I think that's what we get from Langeliers. I think Langeliers is a more complete hitter than Alfaro, but I don't know if he has Alfaro's power. Ultimately a defense first, 3 WAR catcher sounds about right.

Shewmake:
    This pick still baffles me. The problem is that he's a guy without a position. He's not got a great arm and there's already a good bit of doubt he sticks at SS because of that. It also makes 3B difficult. Some think he'll move to second but he's 6-4. I don't know if I've ever seen a 2B that tall. If he adds any bulk he wont be able to stick in the middle IF.

That leaves the OF (I'm discounting 1B and C). He's not got elite speed so he wont fit the speedy, high OBP OF mold. That means his power is going to have to develop a good bit. Some look at his scrawny 6-4 frame and think he'll develop power as he fills out but his swing isn't really conducive to power. He's a line drive hitter with a flat swing who uses great bat control to put the ball in play consistently. Expecting him to develop into a 20+ HR hitter might be asking too much and tinkering with his swing to try to get more power out of him might destroy his hit tool (his one plus tool).

Comp: Nick Markakis. Not the Nick Markakis from early in his career, 2012 and on Markakis. A guy with an excellent hit tool who doesn't strike out much. Enough power to get 10-15 HRs. But mediocre OF defense lowers his WAR to around 2. I think this is a pretty high end outcome for Shewmake. He's got a very, very real chance of flaming out in the minors.

Philip:
    This pick is baffling. He'd probably have been on the board two or three rounds later. This guy just doesn't do anything well enough to start. He's a good defensive SS but not whiz. He's not going to hit for much power so that wont carry him. His speed is okay but not elite and worse, he's not got great OBP skills so a top of the order hitter is out as well.

If you had to build a prototypical utility infielder, Philip is it. He could backup 3B, 2B, and SS but wont ever hit well enough or field well enough to make up for his weak hitting profile.

Comp: Wilmer Difo. Maybe a touch less speed than Difo with a touch better hit tool.

All in all a very underwhelming first day. I ranked the first round a D. With the pick of Philip, the first day might have dropped to an F. It's a D- at best.
    LeMahieu Is 6'4"

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Maybe the Braves did their due diligence like Alex likes to say.....I can't even type that with a straight face. Analytics doe....

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    this draft seems weird at best...there doesn't seem to be much logic or strategy with the picks. doesn't seem like they needed to keep pick 60 with this "strategy." doesn't appear to be much - any? - real upside with a single one of the players. we shall see. maybe they know something we don't. hopefully.

The only strategy that really makes sense to me is that the Braves minor league system is thinnest on answers at catcher and middle infield and the Braves drafted three players at those positions.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-04-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,048 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    LeMahieu Is 6'4"
    You are correct. Suffice to say then that it's rare to have a 2B that big.

And no matter what, if he adds the bulk they're hoping he does, he's not going to stick at the middle infield positions.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    You are correct. Suffice to say then that it's rare to have a 2B that big.

And no matter what, if he adds the bulk they're hoping he does, he's not going to stick at the middle infield positions.
    Neil Walker is 6'3. Not many, but there are some taller second basemen.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

7. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-04-2019)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    D1 ball at University of the Pacific while getting a degree in physics.

I find it hilarious you are using daddy's credentials to legitimize yourself though. Pathetic, even for you Taylor...
    I can't possibly be the only person here that finds someone who played "D1 ball at University of the Pacific while getting a degree in physics" calling someone pathetic for trying to "legitimize" themselves on an internet message board absolutely hilarious.

You might take a little time to look up pathetic lives - you'll find that's you in that image in the mirror.

By the way, how bad does it suck that I started talking about Langeliers at #9 weeks ago? You're bound to need something strong to wash that down with, no?
    Last edited by clvclv; 06-04-2019 at 09:12 AM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    I've tried to take this draft in stride but disappointment doesn't walk well. I feel strongly that neither of the 2 SS will ever see an inning of play in an Atl Braves uni at SS. I also doubt that either will see an inning in an Atl Braves uni at any position unless an emergency requiring an immediate response happens. Phillip seems to be a complete waste of pick and will be a loss of time and money in the MiLB.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    Fangraphs wrap up: https://blogs.fangraphs.com/day-1-draft-review/

"The Braves opted for safety with a catch-and-throw college backstop at nine. Langeliers is a complete defender with a mixed offensive track record, though he was hot during Big 12 play. We were on the low end of the Shewmake spectrum, with many teams having him in the 30-40 range and a couple in the 20s. He lacks a plus tool but is a good athlete with a solid performance resume. Philip is an infield fit with above-average bat speed, but his swing is pretty rough. He’s also young, but we thought he was a Day 2 player."

11. The Following User Says Thank You to CJ9 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-04-2019)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    So everyone is pi$$ed about the selections. I'm assuming this means they're all going to perform above expectations

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chico For This Useful Post:

Jaw (06-04-2019), jpx7 (06-04-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    The only strategy that really makes sense to me is that the Braves minor league system is thinnest on answers at catcher and middle infield and the Braves drafted three players at those positions.
    I have an alternate theory. Someone in the scouting department got a copy of Gray's Sports Almanac from the future and knows how all of these guy will turn out. We're gonna be awesome.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    So everyone is pi$$ed about the selections. I'm assuming this means they're all going to perform above expectations
    The Braves are smarter than everyone else### See Thomas Dimitroff prior to and after Scott Pioli

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Anyone know why Philip sat out so many games for Oregon State?

Only played in 20 of at least 29 games.

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    Just watched video on Philip. He had a 20% k rate at Oregon State, which isn't a surprise given his swing path. I don't like his hand placement, and think his k rate will only increase without major adjustments. I don't understand this pick still.

We took two college infielders with swings that need major work.

This is what we come up with after months of scouting and all the draft resources spent? Brown couldn't even validate his selections on camera. Disaster

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonCowboy View Post
    From MLB.com

9) Braves: Shea Langeliers, C, Baylor
    (Compensation pick for unsigned 2018 first-rounder Carter Stewart) The Braves grabbed the best defensive catcher in the entire Draft right here. Langeliers has a chance to become a Gold Glover, with polished receiving skills, a cannon arm and more athleticism than most at his position. He struggled at the plate as a sophomore but bounced back this spring, and he should be able to hit for a decent average with some power. He could be Austin Hedges with more offense.

Hmmm
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    For what it’s worth, I feel like that’s absolutely going to be what people talk about for the next two seasons when these polished college hitters wreck **** in Rome and Florida. The question will just be if they eventually become impact players down the line.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Is there video somewhere of Brown talking about the picks? I didn't get to watch last night.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,048 Posts
    My biggest beef with this draft is that the Braves violated the cardinal rule of drafting: take the best player available. That's even more true in baseball than other sports. If you doubled the draft number of each player, you'd still say that was a reasonable spot. So if Langeliers went 18, that would seem right. If Shewmake when 42, that would be right too. And I think round 4 may have still been a reach for Philip.

We prioritized position of need and speed of getting them to the majors over quality. I don't like that.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-04-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    I can't possibly be the only person here that finds someone who played "D1 ball at University of the Pacific while getting a degree in physics" calling someone pathetic for trying to "legitimize" themselves on an internet message board absolutely hilarious.

You might take a little time to look up pathetic lives - you'll find that's you in that image in the mirror.

By the way, how bad does it suck that I started talking about Langeliers at #9 weeks ago? You're bound to need something strong to wash that down with, no?
    Pretty sure Mayo and Callis were talking about Shea at 9 for the past month, so maybe get off your high horse.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mqt For This Useful Post:

Jaw (06-04-2019), jpx7 (06-04-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    My biggest beef with this draft is that the Braves violated the cardinal rule of drafting: take the best player available. That's even more true in baseball than other sports. If you doubled the draft number of each player, you'd still say that was a reasonable spot. So if Langeliers went 18, that would seem right. If Shewmake when 42, that would be right too. And I think round 4 may have still been a reach for Philip.

We prioritized position of need and speed of getting them to the majors over quality. I don't like that.
    We have no reason to think this is the case. Langeliers was ranked around 9 and Shewmake was ranked in the 20s by a few places, it’s entirely reasonable they were the top guys for us. I disagree, but that’s a weird statement to make.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to mqt For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-04-2019)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mqt View Post
    Pretty sure Mayo and Callis were talking about Shea at 9 for the past month, so maybe get off your high horse.
    Awwww, does it hurt your feelings that I was right too?