Page 42 of 98 FirstFirst ... 3240414243445292 ... LastLast

Thread: Braves donate Justin Upton to Padres for prospects

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    Bowman breaks down the Upton situation, and seems to emphasize the Royals.

SAN DIEGO -- Though some anxious fans might have been disappointed when the Winter Meetings concluded last week without the completion of a trade involving Justin Upton, the Braves are still talking to a handful of clubs that are interested in the right-handed slugger.

The Padres, Giants and Mariners have all been linked to Upton. But an industry source said that at least one other unidentified club has been making a strong push for the veteran outfielder, who could potentially be one of next year's top free agents.
    The mystery team might be the Royals, who have shown some interest in Upton over the past few weeks.
    The defending American League champs have been hesitant about the asking price for what might prove to be a one-year rental.

http://m.braves.mlb.com/news/article...r-justin-upton

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dak For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (12-15-2014), Braves1976 (12-15-2014)

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    The Royals have a plethora of interesting pieces, I feel like the Braves could match up exponentially better with them than San Diego or San Francisco.

As I mentioned in my previous post, Bowden suggested Christian Colon, who is really intriguing.

The Royals would really enhance their chances of getting back to the World Series if they could find a way to get Upton. A right-handed power-hitting right fielder is their biggest need, and Upton would certainly fit the bill. The question is how do you get these two teams to match up? The Braves are not getting Yordano Ventura, Danny Duffy or Kyle Zimmer in an Upton deal (even though Zimmer is coming off shoulder surgery). However, the Royals could offer Sean Manaea, a first-round selection (34th overall) in the 2014 draft out of Indiana State. Manaea, 22, had an impressive debut season, going 7-8 with a 3.11 ERA and 1.28 WHIP in 25 starts at high-A Wilmington. The Royals also could offer the Braves any one of their second base options, from veteran Omar Infante to youngster Christian Colon or perhaps even persuade them with another corner outfielder, such as Jorge Bonifacio.

Possible trade: Upton for lefty pitching prospect Sean Manaea and infield prospect Christian Colon.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (12-15-2014)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,289 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Jim Bowden: Five potential trades for Justin Upton (Insider)

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/the-...Justin%20Upton

San Diego - Possible trade: Upton for pitching prospect Matt Wisler and middle-infield prospect Taylor Lindsey.
    Seattle - Possible trade: Upton for infield prospect Ketel Marte and pitching prospect Edwin Diaz.
    Texas - Possible trade: Upton for pitching prospect Alex Gonzalez and infield prospect Josh Morgan.
    Kansas City - Possible trade: Upton for lefty pitching prospect Sean Manaea and infield prospect Christian Colon.
    San Francisco - Possible trade: Upton for pitching prospect Kyle Crick and second baseman Joe Panik.
    Bowden is the living embodiment of the term "click bait"

That article is so poorly researched on his part. If all the types of prospects we could want, I doubt it would include second basemen. Yet, that's basically his whole premise is that the Braves want a young middle infielder.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (12-15-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    While the Royals seem to make sense, Baltimore would be my guess for the mystery team. They were the team that made sense that previously said they hadn't made any calls to us about Justin. I expect that may have changed recently.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts

Possible trade: Upton for lefty pitching prospect Sean Manaea and infield prospect Christian Colon. [/I]
    I like that deal better than Padres rumors personally as both Sean Manaea and Christian Colon interest me. But I also want to dump CJ in any Justin deal, so as long as he goes with Justin I'd be thrilled with that return.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    I like that deal better than Padres rumors personally as both Sean Manaea and Christian Colon interest me. But I also want to dump CJ in any Justin deal, so as long as he goes with Justin I'd be thrilled with that return.
    Is CJ totally 'dump' material in respect to his worth on the market as it stands after today? Maybe he can be moved separately for a mid-level prospect or two.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Is CJ totally 'dump' material in respect to his worth on the market as it stands after today? Maybe he can be moved separately for a mid-level prospect or two.
    The Braves wouldn't be trying so hard to include him in Justin Upton deals if anyone wanted him. According to all the sources I have read the Braves are willing to take less in return for Justin from teams willing to take CJ. But no one wants him after his terrible season when also considering his contract and how bad he is defensively at third. The only way he is traded at this point is in a package deal or for another similar contract player another team wants to move.

The best match seems the Giants and they recently balked at the idea. Hopefully now that Headley and Lowrie are signed teams rethink that position.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    The Braves wouldn't be trying so hard to include him in Justin Upton deals if anyone wanted him. According to all the sources I have read the Braves are willing to take less in return for Justin from teams willing to take CJ. But no one wants him after his terrible season when also considering his contract and how bad he is defensively at third. The only way he is traded at this point is in a package deal or for another similar contract player another team wants to move.

The best match seems the Giants and they recently balked at the idea. Hopefully now that Headley and Lowrie are signed teams rethink that position.
    I hear that, and I'm generally inclined to agree -- but maybe San Francisco (or another team in a similar boat) gets desperate. I'd take Chris Johnson over Kelly Johnson or Alexi Casilla. Maybe.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (12-15-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    I hear that, and I'm generally inclined to agree -- but maybe San Francisco (or another team in a similar boat) gets desperate. I'd take Chris Johnson over Kelly Johnson or Alexi Casilla. Maybe.
    Gotcha, I hope so too. However, I think it is more likely they sign one of those others you mention or even someone like Bonifacio to play third. Then again, I guess it all comes down to how badly do they want Justin Upton? If any team agrees to that package I think it will be more their desperation for Justin Upton than rethinking CJ that leads to accepting the two in a package deal.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Braves1976 For This Useful Post:

Hawk (12-15-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,731 Posts
    Only trade Bowden projected that i likes the Giants. Crick has crazy upside.

The trade I want is Justin to the Royals for Jarrod Dyson, Christian Colon, and a prospect. I am not a big fan of their prospects but I would ask for Hunter Dozier.

Dyson is an all star compared to BJ. .320 OBP isn't great but combined with elite base stealing ability and speed he makes the most out of the times he is on base. Might need platooning but he can still impact the game as a pinch runner. He is also an elite defender in cf. I imagine a lineup with Dyson/Peraza at the top combining for 100+ sb.

Colon I think is more of a utility player but we know the value quality utility players. Colon does the small things well like bunt and move runners over.
    Last edited by cajunrevenge; 12-15-2014 at 06:22 PM.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    With Headley now off the market, I still think the Giants would take him on if it meant getting Justin.

That said, while the Royals' rumor is intriguing (I'm personally really high on Manaea), I still would prefer Hart goes back to the Padres and says OK, we understand you prefer to keep Cashner and Ross since dealing for Justin is a "win now" move for you guys. So...we'll bite on Wisler AND take the Quentin contract off your hands, but we have absolutely NO interest in Taylor Lindsey. Wisler's not as proven as Miller, and we've maintained all along that the return for Justin has to be greater than the return for Heyward. What we're willing to do is...

Justin and Chris Johnson for Quentin, Wisler, Jesse Hahn, and Spangenberg.

*** Note - Before everyone flies off the handle about Quentin, his option can't possibly vest - it required 320 games played from 2013-2015 - he's only played 132 to this point. He'd cost us $8 million this season and be gone.

Of course if DMGM says "I've GOT to have him" and is willing to substitute Dozier for Colon or add Foster Griffin or John Lamb to Manaea and Colon, I'm all-in.
    Last edited by clvclv; 12-15-2014 at 06:29 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    211 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    Only trade Bowden projected is the Giants. Crick has crazy upside.

The trade I want is Justin to the Royals for Jarrod Dyson, Christian Colon, and a prospect. I am not a big fan of their prospects but I would ask for Hunter Dozier.

Dyson is an all star compared to BJ. .320 OBP isn't great but combined with elite base stealing ability and speed he makes the most out of the times he is on base. Might need platooning but he can still impact the game as a pinch runner. He is also an elite defender in cf. I imagine a lineup with Dyson/Peraza at the top combining for 100+ sb.

Colon I think is more of a utility player but we know the value quality utility players. Colon does the small things well like bunt and move runners over.
    Unless the prospect is Manaea or Zimmer that would not be a good trade.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,731 Posts
    I would stay as far away from Royals pitching prospects. The bust rate on their starting pitching prospects is very high.

It’s over."

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    211 Posts
    I would stay as far away from Royals pitching prospects. The bust rate on their starting pitching prospects is very high.
    I agree they've had issues in the past but Duffy and Ventura sure have them moving in the right direction. Manaea's a stud

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Jim Bowden: Five potential trades for Justin Upton (Insider)

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/the-...Justin%20Upton

San Diego - Possible trade: Upton for pitching prospect Matt Wisler and middle-infield prospect Taylor Lindsey.
    Seattle - Possible trade: Upton for infield prospect Ketel Marte and pitching prospect Edwin Diaz.
    Texas - Possible trade: Upton for pitching prospect Alex Gonzalez and infield prospect Josh Morgan.
    Kansas City - Possible trade: Upton for lefty pitching prospect Sean Manaea and infield prospect Christian Colon.
    San Francisco - Possible trade: Upton for pitching prospect Kyle Crick and second baseman Joe Panik.
    I don't know much about most of those prospects, but if the Giants would give up Crick and Panik for 1 year of JUp I have a feeling the deal would be done already. Panik is an OBP machine and could easily slide over to 3B. Crick has legit role 7 potential. That would be a huge overpay for Giants.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,731 Posts
    The jury is still our on Duffy. Less than 7 k/9 and over 3bb/9 is a bad combination. I need to see him do it again and for more than 149 innings before I believe it. Even if he is the real deal I am skeptical about his ability to stay healthy too.

It’s over."

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Like the Braves' isn't???

Teheran, Wood, Kimbrel, Minor (to a point) as healthy examples...Medlen, Beachy, Venters, Graham, Cabrera not so much.

Just have to keep stockpiling 'em...the higher the upside, the better.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

23. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

emk418 (12-15-2014)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip;177425[B
    ]Bowden is the living embodiment of the term "click bait"[/B]

That article is so poorly researched on his part. If all the types of prospects we could want, I doubt it would include second basemen. Yet, that's basically his whole premise is that the Braves want a young middle infielder.
    Got a chuckle out of that one.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (12-15-2014)

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Jon Heyman
    @JonHeymanCBS
    alex rios agrees to one-year with royals. $11M.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (12-15-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Jon Heyman
    @JonHeymanCBS
    alex rios agrees to one-year with royals. $11M.
    Well, that hopefully rules them out as the mystery team as speculated by Bowman. My guess was Baltimore and I still think they make more sense as being the mystery team in on Justin Upton.