Thread: Who Didn't See This Coming?

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts

Who Didn't See This Coming?

The Indians have released Chris Johnson, per the club’s transactions page at MLB.com. Johnson was designated for assignment earlier this month.

Johnson, 31, has a career slash line of .280/.316/.411 across seven big league seasons. He first arrived in Atlanta prior to the 2013 season as a part of the Justin Upton deal. This year, he was shipped to the Indians in a waiver trade that saw Michael Bourn, Nick Swisher, and cash considerations go to the Braves.

Johnson signed a three-year, $23.5MM contract prior to the 2014 season. Then 29 years old, Johnson was coming off a career year in which he batted .321/.358/.457 with 12 homers. However, much of that production was the result of a .394 batting average on balls in play, and his overall numbers have come back down to Earth as his BABIP regressed to his career norm. He hasn’t looked like an ~$8MM player as of late, but he could be a useful platoon bat given his success against lefties.

Playing the Waiting Game blueagleace1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    The Indians have released Chris Johnson, per the club’s transactions page at MLB.com. Johnson was designated for assignment earlier this month.

Johnson, 31, has a career slash line of .280/.316/.411 across seven big league seasons. He first arrived in Atlanta prior to the 2013 season as a part of the Justin Upton deal. This year, he was shipped to the Indians in a waiver trade that saw Michael Bourn, Nick Swisher, and cash considerations go to the Braves.

Johnson signed a three-year, $23.5MM contract prior to the 2014 season. Then 29 years old, Johnson was coming off a career year in which he batted .321/.358/.457 with 12 homers. However, much of that production was the result of a .394 batting average on balls in play, and his overall numbers have come back down to Earth as his BABIP regressed to his career norm. He hasn’t looked like an ~$8MM player as of late, but he could be a useful platoon bat given his success against lefties.
    Can see him landing in Milwaukee.
    "Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon"

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Really hate to say it, but I could even see him landing back in Atlanta if KJ was signed - a CJ/KJ platoon at 3B wouldn't exactly be "awful" - assuming Fredi was made to make it a strict platoon of course.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Hysterical Girlfriend
    That Storms Out and
    Returns the Next Day
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    I'd be shocked if the Braves took him back.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,029 Posts
    Well, there's the stopgap third baseman many have been clamoring for.

I don't think he's bad in the clubhouse. He's just a red ass. Every team can use some of that. Who on this club would take out a Gatorade cooler? Markakis is too busy Leading by Example and Playing the Game the Right Way.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Terrible player and a true jackass.

I always laugh. I'm not a big Francoeur fan, but half the people in this place would love to see Jeff strung up by his thumbs for his poor plate discipline and general thick-headedness, yet somehow seem to think Chris Johnson is an answer to any question when he's as bad or worse than Francoeur in both departments.

Whoever was responsible for the Johnson extension should have been fired on the spot.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

Yogi44 (12-28-2015)

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post

I always laugh. I'm not a big Francoeur fan, but half the people in this place would love to see Jeff strung up by his thumbs for his poor plate discipline and general thick-headedness, yet somehow seem to think Chris Johnson is an answer to any question when he's as bad or worse than Francoeur in both departments.

Whoever was responsible for the Johnson extension should have been fired on the spot.
    Johnson was a better hitter than Francoeur. That's why people "thought" he was an answer. Francoeur's problem wasn't one thing it was a number of things. Johnson's discipline sucked. 5% BB rate and 20% K rate isn't good. But he managed to be a moderately successful hitter by showing some pop (pretty much always north of .120 iso) and ripping line drives everywhere (career 25% LD rate) Francoeur was not a good hitter. Where he went off the rails though was in 2007. 2006 was not a super successful season, but I think that was the best version of Francoeur. Sure he stank at most things but he was hitting the ball out of the park. If he could have been a 30 homer a year guy who didn't walk much and struck out a bit too much, but when he cut down his swing and became a punch and judy hitter he killed his value.Because in stead of crushing things he came into contact with, he was hitting soft grounders and weak popups.

Now one thing I'll give credit to someoen, is that after his 2011 season with the ROyals he largely seemed to have gotten the memo about start swinging for the fences. Aside from defense and his SSS rookie season. 2011 was the best version of Jeff Francoeur. He seemed to have all the things moving in the right direction and some luck. 2015 he wasn't that bad, 2015 was pretty similar to 2006. If he wasn't only usable as an OF I wouldn't mind a flyer on him. Unfortunately we have literally too many outfielders.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Really hate to say it, but I could even see him landing back in Atlanta if KJ was signed - a CJ/KJ platoon at 3B wouldn't exactly be "awful" - assuming Fredi was made to make it a strict platoon of course.
    You don't take on the contracts of Swisher and Bourn if there's a chance he's ever coming back. You've heard how desperate the organization was to get rid of him... you know that's never going to happen... and I really hope it doesn't. I want to see Garcia get a legit shot anyways, its not like we're going to be competing... may as well see what we have.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (12-27-2015)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    You don't take on the contracts of Swisher and Bourn if there's a chance he's ever coming back. You've heard how desperate the organization was to get rid of him... you know that's never going to happen... and I really hope it doesn't. I want to see Garcia get a legit shot anyways, its not like we're going to be competing... may as well see what we have.
    Hold on a second - I didn't say it'd be something any of us would "want" - I just said I wouldn't be surprised. He'd be a "cheap" (since we'd be picking him up on waivers) half of what could be a pretty productive platoon with KJ since the company line is that they're trying to win as many games as possible - and he could be released at any point without having to pay him next season since the Indians are now on the hook for that. If Garcia isn't going to be given the job, a CJ/KJ platoon would be a much better option than committing 3-4 years to David Freese or someone like Ian Desmond (who would also cost a draft pick that I wouldn't personally be willing to give up) IMO.

I've long been in the camp that wants to see several of these younger guys get a REAL shot - Garcia in particular - I've said as much several times. I agree we're going nowhere, so this is the perfect "sink or swim" opportunity for several players - not just Garcia. I'm also in favor of giving the last two rotation slots to Folty and Banuelos right out of the gate WITH the understanding that they're going to become relievers if they're unsuccessful in making the adjustments required to start (or able to stay healthy) at the major league level. Blair, Newcomb, Jenkins, and Sims will be beating on the door by midseason (assuming they chose to start Blair in Gwinnett to give both guys a shot), and Perez and Weber have proven themselves capable of bridging the gap to them if needed.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (12-30-2015)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Hold on a second - I didn't say it'd be something any of us would "want" - I just said I wouldn't be surprised. He'd be a "cheap" (since we'd be picking him up on waivers) half of what could be a pretty productive platoon with KJ since the company line is that they're trying to win as many games as possible - and he could be released at any point without having to pay him next season since the Indians are now on the hook for that. If Garcia isn't going to be given the job, a CJ/KJ platoon would be a much better option than committing 3-4 years to David Freese or someone like Ian Desmond (who would also cost a draft pick that I wouldn't personally be willing to give up) IMO.

I've long been in the camp that wants to see several of these younger guys get a REAL shot - Garcia in particular - I've said as much several times. I agree we're going nowhere, so this is the perfect "sink or swim" opportunity for several players - not just Garcia. I'm also in favor of giving the last two rotation slots to Folty and Banuelos right out of the gate WITH the understanding that they're going to become relievers if they're unsuccessful in making the adjustments required to start (or able to stay healthy) at the major league level. Blair, Newcomb, Jenkins, and Sims will be beating on the door by midseason (assuming they chose to start Blair in Gwinnett to give both guys a shot), and Perez and Weber have proven themselves capable of bridging the gap to them if needed.

Adonis is still killing it in winter ball.. I know that doesn't get close to equating to MLB.. but it still screams, "hey look at me.. give me a shot..."

his line as of today..
    .370 AVG, .430 OBP, .513 Slg, .948 OPS, 11 Ks to 10 BB, 3 Hrs, 2 3B, 7 2B, 22 RBI and 7 SB to 1 CS.. all this in 36 games and 135 ABs.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post

That would be Frank Wren and not "on the spot" but fairly close to it.

Maybe the only time there has ever been instant 100% consensus that is was a bad move.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stpeteirish View Post
    That would be Frank Wren and not "on the spot" but fairly close to it.

Maybe the only time there has ever been instant 100% consensus that is was a bad move.
    Not true, plenty of people thought CJ was going to be good and the extension was fine.....see, thethe & others.
    The Atlanta Braves signed Nick Markakis for 4/45 - Never forget 12/3/2014

"Klay Thompson > James Harden" - Heyward

"Chris Bosh is the MVP of the Miami Heat" - Heyward

"Hibbert is better than Dwight Howard"- Heyward

"Steven Adams will be a top 10 center in two years - thethe

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BRule View Post
    Not true, plenty of people thought CJ was going to be good and the extension was fine.....see, thethe & others.
    I do recall some thought it justified and decried my notion that guys like Johnson could easily be obtained from the list of non-tendered guys. It was just a puzzling move, but Johnson had come off his best season. I just didn't think it could be sustained with his SAS (Swing at Sh*t) approach to hitting.