Page 32 of 143 FirstFirst ... 2230313233344282132 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Trade Deadline ROSTERBATION

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    That improvement was provided by a low babip and homerun rate. Things likely not to continue.
    Also a BB rate under 4 up until 2 starts ago and a very good ground ball rate. I'm not gonna pretend that he hasn't been getting some good luck. But to act like he hasn't been making strong improvements is silly as well.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Didn't see it posted, but the Braves are 1 among several teams that are likely interested in Nathan Eovaldi, per Rays beat writer Bill Chastain. He says our scouts, along with Red Sox, Cubs, and Phillies, were in attendance on his July 2 start.

He's not my first option, but he's having a nice year and should come relatively cheap (hopefully of the Muller/Sanchez variety, but certainly no more than Wentz)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,897 Posts
    Would Whit Merrifield fill the need for competent IF help? or does he hit wronghanded for effective platoon status?
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,519 Posts
    AA doesn’t need to let Solarte leave Atlanta.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,538 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Would Whit Merrifield fill the need for competent IF help? or does he hit wronghanded for effective platoon status?
    Considering that Camargo and Swanson both hit lefties better (using career data), I think it would be better to get someone who is stronger against right handed pitching.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    I didn't realize a 25 year old pitcher with 1 season under his belt couldn't get better. Silly me.

In his first 32 starts he was at 2.7 fWAR. A mere .3 fWAR from that magic 3 WAR in only his 1st 32 starts. What a crazy notion that a pitcher showing improvement in 1st full season (2nd overall) might get even better than that.
    When you don't understand why the "improvement" was happening, and someone who knows more than you explains it several times, then yes, it is silly.

When that same person routinely explains things and has been right the vast majority of the time, and you still argue, then yes, it is silly.

And yet you continue on, being silly.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Orioles want Justus Sheffield for Machado. They are really going to end up not trading him if nothing changes. I know they may lower the asking price by the deadline, but if not...

Are they playing chicken or are they just that dumb??

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,130 Posts
    This article is about the Red Sox, but the LH BP arms mentioned are the same ones the Braves should be targeting.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/...-addition.html

Pretty much the exact names we've been throwing out around here for a month.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

UNCBlue012 (07-11-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    Orioles want Justus Sheffield for Machado. They are really going to end up not trading him if nothing changes. I know they may lower the asking price by the deadline, but if not...

Are they playing chicken or are they just that dumb??
    They still have nearly 3 weeks. If I were an Os fan I'd be upset if they weren't targeting players like that at this point.

That's not saying they won't botch this though...

On the flip side, I don't see the Yanks need for Macho unless a young IFer is going out for an impact arm.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    When you don't understand why the "improvement" was happening, and someone who knows more than you explains it several times, then yes, it is silly.

When that same person routinely explains things and has been right the vast majority of the time, and you still argue, then yes, it is silly.

And yet you continue on, being silly.
    Instead of belittling other posters, you might try being open minded instead. I've not once insulted you and you've yet to address any of my argument if you think it's so dumb.

Literally 8-9 days ago, Newk had a BB rate under 4, a groundball rate of 48 percent, and a hard hit rate that's better than average. Those aren't improvements? Those numbers can't support a 3+ WAR? Give me a break. I've already mentioned he has gotten little lucky on BABIP and HR rate. Those aren't the only numbers that matter though and he's clearly shown improvements accross the board that aren't relatable to HR rate and BABIP.
    Last edited by Carp; 07-11-2018 at 01:27 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,130 Posts
    Instead of belittling other posters, you might try being open minded instead. I've not once insulted you and you've yet to address any of my argument if you think it's so dumb.
    Ahh, another "Enscheff is the bad guy" comment.

Gio Gonzalez did basically that very same thing his 2nd season. A mere 1.1 innings away from qualifying for your abritrary threshold. I brought up several other examples the last time you brought this drivel up.
    So stop the bull**** where you act like I was the first to fire shots.

You're wrong about Newk. You decided to talk **** to me. I'm going to remind you of how wrong you are for a while now.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Ahh, another "Enscheff is the bad guy" comment.

So stop the bull**** where you act like I was the first to fire shots.

You're wrong about Newk. You decided to talk **** to me. I'm going to remind you of how wrong you are for a while now.
    I posted that because YOU WERE WRONG. That wasn't an opinion. You listed 3 pitchers that you claimed were the ONLY pitchers who fit that criteria. That was incorrect as there were most certainly more (Liriano being one of them, I forget the others, but I can search again if you'd like) and it was also a bit of cherry picking considering there were a several other pitchers who numbers just missed qualifying. Sorry if that enraged you. But it was true.

So now I'm wrong about Newk after 37 starts, even though everything I've stated is true? He isn't making improvements in BB rate, hard hit rate, ground ball percentage, and other keys areas? He didn't have a 2.7 WAR after his first 32 starts of his professional career?

May be he'll never reach my "lofty" expectations of a consistent 3-4 WAR pitcher like Gio Gonzalez. But at least I'm willing to accept criticism and listen to opposing views (and by the way, I'm not wrong).

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,130 Posts
    I posted that because YOU WERE WRONG. That wasn't an opinion. You listed 3 pitchers that you claimed were the ONLY pitchers who fit that criteria. That was incorrect as there were most certainly more (Liriano being one of them, I forget the others, but I can search again if you'd like) and it was also a bit of cherry picking considering there were a several other pitchers who numbers just missed qualifying. Sorry if that enraged you. But it was true.

So now I'm wrong about Newk after 37 starts, even though everything I've stated is true? He isn't making improvements in BB rate, hard hit rate, ground ball percentage, and other keys areas? He didn't have a 2.7 WAR after his first 32 starts of his professional career?

May be he'll never reach my "lofty" expectations of a consistent 3-4 WAR pitcher like Gio Gonzalez. But at least I'm willing to accept criticism and listen to opposing views (and by the way, I'm not wrong).
    Are you really trying to double down on the “enscheff was wrong” comment?

I very clearly stated the cutoff was 100 IP. That value was chosen because that’s how many IP Newk threw. I’m sure lowering it 90 IP would have grabbed a few more failures to offset the success Gio represents.

The original return set of data included the names you mentioned, including Liriano. It was then later down to guys with 9+ K/9 to get the final list of 3. Do I need to go quote the posts?

Face it, you’re wrong about Newk. I’m not going to let you forget it either. Get as angry as you want, you’ll still be wrong.

How wrong do you want to be? Let me know and I’ll take the time to quote the posts in question.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    What the hell are you even talking about that list with 9+ K/9? Liriano in 2012 had both a K/9 greater than 9 and a BB rate of at least 5 in at least 100 innings. It matches your data set to a T.

I'm clearly not the one mad here. And I am not wrong about Newk (though certainly I could be wrong about his consistent 3 WAR projection, but that's 2-3 years from finding out).

Still waiting on you to prove wrong on how he isn't improving.
    Last edited by Carp; 07-11-2018 at 02:58 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,130 Posts
    What the hell are you even talking about that list with 9+ K/9? Liriano in 2012 had both a K/9 greater than 9 and a BB rate greater than 5 in at least 100 innings. It matches your data set to a T.

I'm clearly not the one mad here. And I am not wrong about Newk (though certainly I could be wrong about his consistent 3 WAR projection, but that's 2-3 years from finding out).

Still waiting on you to prove wrong on how he isn't improving.
    I never once said he wasn't improving...so I guess I'm still waiting on you to prove that I ever said it.

In fact....

Newk's control is undoubtedly improved, and now it's a race between his improving control and his declining velocity that will determine how successful he ultimately becomes.
    Don't sorry, we will rehash who ends up being right about Newk.

Called Up to the Major Leagues SJ24's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    291 Posts
    Ask daddy about it the next time you guys are discussing athletes after your econ class at the local community college.
    This is just getting out of hand now. You need to be banned for the sake of board comity.

While you provide great points, you are way too irascible and thin-skinned to be taken seriously.

You have the personality of Donald Trump without the money or pretty women.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to SJ24 For This Useful Post:

BoneThrower (07-13-2018)

Playing the Waiting Game blueagleace1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SJ24 View Post
    This is just getting out of hand now. You need to be banned for the sake of board comity.

While you provide great points, you are way too irascible and thin-skinned to be taken seriously.

He's the main reason I don't post anymore.
    "Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,519 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blueagleace1 View Post
    You should post more.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,323 Posts

Not necessarily banned. Put him onto his own sub-forum where he can't bother others who don't want to deal with him.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,130 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blueagleace1 View Post
    I apologize Taylor...