Page 42 of 154 FirstFirst ... 3240414243445292142 ... LastLast

Thread: Legal/scotus thread

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    I think the argument is for ****. You’re entitled to your opinion about the justification of his anger. If you genuinely believe he’s being falsely accused, it follows that you’d feel that way.

To me, today was a further indictment of his character. That he was willing to be so cavalierly dishonest about his school days speaks very poorly of his character today. Drinking to excess, slut-shaming a contemporary—those things don’t speak well of unformed Baby Brett, but his telling the truth would have been a better testament to the man he is today. Instead, he got pissy when asked about drinking, and told gaslight-quality whoppers about the yearbooks, Renate Dolphin, and his poor sensitive stomach. Like, I get that telling the truth might have opened some doors that he needed to keep tightly shut, but, if we are to discount temperament and character, surely we aren’t supposed just toss out basic honesty as a requirement for SCOTUS, right?
    I don't know that's he being falsely accused, and frankly I'm not that invested beyond the theater.

That being said if we were, for a moment, both to presume he was (falsely accused) and the narrative as is ascribed holds water .... what other reaction is there given the stage and the moment and the imperative?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    I thought Kavanaugh was an effective litigant for his client which happens to be himself in this case...but I dont tactics and methods that might work well in a court room translate well to the situation he finds himself in
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

3. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-27-2018)

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Also, yes, just to reiterate: the argument is mortifying.

Blaming "the left" and blaming the Clintons is ... unreal.

But I can't say that I wasn't highly entertained, and I can't say Kavanaugh didn't play the part with legendary aplomb.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    I don't get it.

Is being an ass the qualifying temperament? Or kissing a puckered ass? So many ways to go with that.

Also, not an ass(hole) man.

I have long since taken your notions of acceptable behavior as suspect, but this is a whole other dimension of wack.
    Sure, nothing matters. The dissolution of all those subjective standards of character and decorum are celebrated when the subject is Trump, or Boof Keganaugh. That White House press corps better mind their p’s and q’s in the sanctity of the briefing room, though.

You have always demonstrated a remarkable ability to bounce between arch-cynic and doe-eyed ingenue as circumstances dictate. Gotta tip the cap.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

goldfly (09-28-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    If you remove the anti white rich frat boy blinders that a lot of people have, I think it's hard not to say that at worst both were telling the truth. I personally believe that Kavanaugh did not do it. Her story doesn't really add up to me, her one friendly witness claimed under oath that she doesn't know Kavanaugh. Ford not being able to at least give some sort of idea how she got there or how she got home is odd to me. Kavanaugh's calander was a more worthwhile piece of evidence than I thought it would be. I will say that maybe I believe Kavanaugh a bit more than most, because he's exactly the type of drunk I am. I remember absolutely everything even when I'm **** hammered, including puking and when I've done my most embarrassing things. Maybe I'm missing something, but there just doesn't seem to be anything that backs up that the party even occurred at all, other than Ford's testimony. I think it's possible it's a false memory.
    thank you weso1!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts

But I can't say that I wasn't highly entertained, and I can't say Kavanaugh didn't play the part with legendary aplomb.
    I don’t disagree with that at all. The circumstances dictated a heel, and he did not disappoint.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-27-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Manu Raju
    ‏Verified account @mkraju

Mark Judge attorney: He does not “recall” alleged event:

“Mr. Judge does not recall the events described by Dr. Ford in her testimony

before the US Senate Judiciary Committee today. We have told the Committee

that Mr. Judge does not want to comment about these events publicly.

should Kavanaugh be installed wondering here if testimony becomes optional
    Last edited by 57Brave; 09-27-2018 at 07:58 PM.
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    If you remove the anti white rich frat boy blinders that a lot of people have, I think it's hard not to say that at worst both were telling the truth. I personally believe that Kavanaugh did not do it. Her story doesn't really add up to me, her one friendly witness claimed under oath that she doesn't know Kavanaugh. Ford not being able to at least give some sort of idea how she got there or how she got home is odd to me. Kavanaugh's calander was a more worthwhile piece of evidence than I thought it would be. I will say that maybe I believe Kavanaugh a bit more than most, because he's exactly the type of drunk I am. I remember absolutely everything even when I'm **** hammered, including puking and when I've done my most embarrassing things. Maybe I'm missing something, but there just doesn't seem to be anything that backs up that the party even occurred at all, other than Ford's testimony. I think it's possible it's a false memory.
    I can’t, of course, definitively say that you’re wrong. But given the choice (and this is discounting the possibility that BK is lying) between her having a very specific false memory which has tormented her since adolescence, and his being ****faced enough to not remember assaulting her, I’d have trouble not leaning towards the latter.

As for her not remembering how she arrived or left the house, I don’t really see how this is particularly damning. Not remembering how she left is not at all inconsistent with the accounts of other survivors of traumatic assaults. Not remembering how she got there (35 years later) is unremarkable now, as there was nothing memorable about the day until the **** went down.

I think the weight of the calendars really boils down to one’s confirmation bias. I agree that his explanation of the calendar lent a certain measure of credibility. On the other hand, there are certainly holes in it, one of which I mentioned upthread.

On the subject of trauma and memory...sure, dicey territory. When I was a freshman in college I was witness to a pretty traumatic incident—an assault (like, battery, not sexual assault) by a student on another student from a neighboring school. It was a giant mess—big investigation, judicial board charges, expulsions, all that. I was there, I witnessed the incident, I got grilled about it extensively at the time, I had to testify to the judo board. Today, 20-odd years later, I remember the actual incident with remarkable clarity...what happened, what it sounded like, how I felt at the time. I was, I should note, ****-hammered at the time. I don’t remember my full whereabouts for the evening (I remember I went to an off-campus party and came back to campus, don’t remember who drove me or who, exactly, I was with). I have zero recollection of how, precisely, I got home afterwards. But boy do I remember 30-60 seconds of that night. I know it happened in a parking lot, but I couldn’t say which one either today or the day after it happened. But yeah, I know it happened.

I also know that what I saw doesn’t hold a candle to what a victim of sexual assault experienced. So I’m inclined to believe that Dr Ford may have an indelible memory of certain events and no recollection of others.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    People okay with a President who proudly professes to be a ****** grabber will be okay with "petulant fratboy scum" on the SC.

I guess people are just too dug in.
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Runnin For This Useful Post:

bravesnumberone (09-27-2018), jpx7 (09-27-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    People act as if all this stuff is new. Let's not forget we elected a guy president twice who has been accused of rape, multiple sexual assaults, sexual harassment, and who had an affair with a 22 year old intern (disparity of power there). Dems lined up to protect the guy and still do.

Again, anyone thinking the motivations of everyone on that committee is anything but political is fooling themselves. Every move by both parties has been 100% politically motivated. Politics will decide how this turns out.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (09-28-2018)

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts

It's almost like seeing sturg's forum persona rant in person.
    Forever Fredi

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,829 Posts
    I don't get it.

Is being an ass the qualifying temperament? Or kissing a puckered ass? So many ways to go with that.

Also, not an ass(hole) man.

I have long since taken your notions of acceptable behavior as suspect, but this is a whole other dimension of wack.
    Nothing to get; it’s just a non-sequitur. Sometimes a cigar is just an anus.

Not sure how my “notions of acceptable behavior [are] suspect,” however—but “subjectively meaningless portraiture” certainly describes the sort of ultimately vacant, slippery, “anything’s fine if the candidate’s mine” notions of acceptability you’ve consistently advocated.
    Last edited by jpx7; 09-27-2018 at 11:22 PM.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,829 Posts

How one formulates and pursues one’s arguments speaks to temperament.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,829 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    People act as if all this stuff is new. Let's not forget we elected a guy president twice who has been accused of rape, multiple sexual assaults, sexual harassment, and who had an affair with a 22 year old intern (disparity of power there). Dems lined up to protect the guy and still do.

Again, anyone thinking the motivations of everyone on that committee is anything but political is fooling themselves. Every move by both parties has been 100% politically motivated. Politics will decide how this turns out.
    This describes Trump as snugly as it describes Clinton. The problem is that “we” keep doing it, not that it’s new under the national sun.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    What I saw today was a mean drunk with the temperament and therefore the potential to do the very things he is accused of. The kicker today was he was sober. That said, his treatment of Sen. Klobuchar was pathetic and Trumpian. Meantime best moment of the day was seeing Sen. Graham lose his damn mind on national television. I about died laughing at him. Think the Dems moved a step closer to taking the Senate in Nov. today.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    Are these women supposed to be his supporters?

They all look mortified. His wife even had that I am leaving you at the first opportunity look.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to VirginiaBrave For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-28-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    The one thing I can’t get passed is the four witnesses under oath not corraberating her story at all. It’s a major hang up.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Have any of you had female interactions about this story? Would be interesting to hear their .02. I had quite a few yesterday as this played in my office.

And whoever said it was 100% correct, this was a circus and a low point for politics that doesn’t seem to have a stooping point yet. We are lowering the bar daily. Apparently this was entirely avoidable per some of the timelines given?
    Last edited by Tapate50; 09-28-2018 at 05:47 AM.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    I think the call by the American Bar Association and also Alan Derschowitz for a delay until the FBI can gather some additional information is the correct call...as for the Judiciary Committee it should have called Mark Judge to publicly testify under oath...among other things he can shed light on the not irrelevant question of whether Kavanaugh (aka O'Kavanaugh) has ever passed out after drinking, something that Kavanaugh has denied under oath

in my mind Kavanaugh has lied repeatedly about the extent of his drinking, and the events and behaviors that followed from excessive drinking...this is one of the reasons I do not find him to be a credible witness...
    Last edited by nsacpi; 09-28-2018 at 06:39 AM.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    I also dont think Leland Keyser's statement is exculpatory as Kavanaugh claims. In her statement she says three things.

1. She doesnt remember the party in question.

2. She doesnt know Kavanaugh.

3. She believes Ford.

None of this is exculpatory. If her only interaction with Kavanaugh was being at one party with him, it is entirely possible he never registered in memory. Ditto for her not recalling a party where to her knowledge nothing remarkable happened.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 09-28-2018 at 08:13 AM.

"I am your retribution."