Results 5,641 to 5,660 of 11579

Thread: 2018 Offseason And Targets

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    great answer. but you’ve likely just made the bench a weakness...again.
    Well, if you assume that they don't sign anyone that's any good for the bench or make any trades...I guess.

What kind of answer did you want to get? I'm can't see into the future.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Well, if you assume that they don't sign anyone that's any good for the bench or make any trades...I guess.

What kind of answer did you want to get? I'm can't see into the future.
    who would you get for the bench
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    i think it’s likely riley isn’t ready
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    Dude...
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    we have to see how well Riley and Camargo can play the outfield...not everyone is a Martin Prado in that regard

6. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

clvclv (01-06-2019)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulavol View Post
    I honestly don't see what the panic is around here.... There is plenty of time to fix the holes, and I think our internal options (Camargo/Riley) as a plan B is most likely more than enough to get us in contention by the deadline where we can a major splash if we need to.
    That said, Looks to me like AA is going to make a big set of trades in the next four or five weeks.
    There's no panic, just stating the facts.

We were led to believe that there was somewhere between $40 million (most reasonable estimates) and $60 million (if you choose to believe Bowman) to spend. They've spent $25 million of that and have sat on their hands while other affordable upgrades - that wouldn't have cost them picks or prospects - like Brantley, McCutchen, and several RPs have signed elsewhere. The only free-agent OF left is Pollock, and he will cost both more money AND a pick. I don't think many people have a problem with your Plan B, but if that's the way things are going to go you can't trade Riley. That likely means no Realmuto, no Kluber, no Bumgarner, and possibly no Greinke.

All that would be fine with the folks that are Riley believers (I'm one of them), but how many of those are there - especially if you're going to make him switch positions?

It's incredibly easy to fall in love with our prospects - this system is as good or better than it was even back when Chipper, Andruw, and that gang were coming through it - but not all of these guys are going to reach their ceilings no matter how patient you're willing to be with them, and the longer you wait the closer you get to losing Acuna and Albies. The majority of the pieces are in place at the MLB level, and with a couple of tweaks this team could be a legitimate contender. As is - even if Riley can make a smooth transition to LF - it's not.

If he's going to make that "big set of trades" you mention in the next four or five weeks, what are they, and how bad do you think they're going to hurt if you're keeping Riley? Are you willing to put every other prospect in play?
    Last edited by clvclv; 01-06-2019 at 10:10 AM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    we have to see how well Riley and Camargo can play the outfield...not everyone is a Martin Prado in that regard
    Camargos below average sprint speed doesn’t inspire much confidence he will be a good defender in the OF any time soon.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (01-06-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Camargos below average sprint speed doesn’t inspire much confidence he will be a good defender in the OF any time soon.
    yeah...Prado was a better athlete than either of them

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    yes it’s silly to say hey just throw camargo in LF and boom problem solved. it creates other problems and may not solve the actual problem anyway. i don’t think AA is that dumb or lazy thankfully

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    yes it’s silly to say hey just throw camargo in LF and boom problem solved. it creates other problems and may not solve the actual problem anyway. i don’t think AA is that dumb or lazy thankfully
    Camargo or Riley might work in the outfield...it is an open question...but it would be better to get an established outfielder

13. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (01-06-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    I’m in the camp of Riley to the OF ain’t happening. They’ll trade him before moving him out there.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Camargo or Riley might work in the outfield...it is an open question...but it would be better to get an established outfielder
    i just don’t think it’s smart for a team in our position to be trying that kind of thing right now

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    Bc he worked really hard to be a solid 3b. Bc there is more pressure on his bat in lf

I think there are lots of scouts who are not sure he has the hit tool to get to his power.

If Riley is no doubt ready then signing Donaldson was dumb. We could have used that money a lot better if we had Riley as a 2 plus win player at the minimum with comargo.

I think there is a real chance he strikes out 30 percent of the time and has a 300 obp.
    This is the reason I'm not a bigger fan of the Donaldson signing. Hopefully I'm wrong and we get the "old Donaldson", but signing anyone to that type of AAV seriously handcuffs AA when trying to upgrade the other areas. Is Josh going to be THAT much better than Camargo for a couple months until Riley comes up, a 2-3 win OF, and a bullpen upgrade for roughly the same money? It's tough to see how.

For $500,000 more than Donaldson got you could've signed one of Brantley/McCutchen/Pollock AND Soria, with Camargo upgrading the bench once you call Riley up. If you had to go the 4th year to get one of the OFs you'd still have saved money because if Donaldson delivers on his one year deal he's still going to get 3 more years at over $20 million AAV.

Assuming you could get Realmuto without including Riley, you could have upgraded the bench with Camargo in May, added Realmuto, one of the OFs, and Soria (not signing Mac and cutting Duvall and Freeman loose) for roughly the same money - leaving whatever money actually is still available to potentially add a TOR arm at the deadline.

Donaldson's going to have to deliver one *ell of a season to offset that by himself - and if he does, retaining him moving forward further complicates things.

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    It's funny to me that no one throws out playing Culberson in LF if we don't make a move. If we don't make any further moves, I'd throw Culberson out there, turn Camargo into the sub, bat off the bench, etc.

It will be stupid to not make another move or two sometime at least by the trade deadline. But we are contenders for the next 5ish years without anything happening. I'd be shocked if one of Soroka, Gohara, Touki, or Wright doesn't step up to the level of Folty this year. Then another including a few other options by the next year.

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    I have a good bit of faith that Pache or Waters can replace Inciarte in a couple of years. I have no Faith that Riley can knock Camargo off third. Actually I'm all for extenting Donaldson.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    No way is Riley ready with his 30% strikeout rate in the minors

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Culberson as the everyday guy in LF is the absolute worst case scenario imaginable. Anyone who thinks that should be the plan should officially join the Trio of Twits and make it a foursome.

Camargo can almost certainly fill in LF, and there’s no reason not to give him some ST reps out there. However, claiming he should be part of the everyday solution in LF is beyond moronic.

AA needs to fix LF, and he has/had the resources to do so. Barring a JTR acquisition, it would be unacceptable if the Braves don’t project for ~3 wins in LF.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyeman View Post
    It's funny to me that no one throws out playing Culberson in LF if we don't make a move. If we don't make any further moves, I'd throw Culberson out there, turn Camargo into the sub, bat off the bench, etc.

It will be stupid to not make another move or two sometime at least by the trade deadline. But we are contenders for the next 5ish years without anything happening. I'd be shocked if one of Soroka, Gohara, Touki, or Wright doesn't step up to the level of Folty this year. Then another including a few other options by the next year.
    Bc it’s a terrible idea.

He’s not very good. He had a career year. He’s needed on the bench.

Atl wins the east and sheds a bunch of dead money. The division gets better. Nats are 10 wins better on paper. The answer cannot be to start Culbertson at any spot

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Agree

Ppl forget how young he is too.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Pretty odd to make this statement and ignore Javy Baez' strikeout rate before he was called up - especially when you compare their OBPs at each level, no?
    Last edited by clvclv; 01-06-2019 at 02:55 PM.