Page 323 of 579 FirstFirst ... 223273313321322323324325333373423 ... LastLast
Results 6,441 to 6,460 of 11579

Thread: 2018 Offseason And Targets

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    I don’t think DOB is in the new FO loop like he was with the old regime but I hope he’s right about Gray bc he’s not an upgrade for us.
    Give me Young Gabe over DOB's arrogant ass lol

2. The Following User Says Thank You to UNCBlue012 For This Useful Post:

Prikichi (01-17-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    He'd be an "upgrade" but at what cost?

That is the question.
    If JT is traded away then yeah but with as many young guys as we have that are ready I’d rather give it to one of them and see what we have.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Between Bowman’s “at least $60M to spend” and DOBs failure to know anything, what is the point in reading the Braves beat writers?

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-17-2019), Prikichi (01-17-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Between Bowman’s “at least $60M to spend” and DOBs failure to know anything, what is the point in reading the Braves beat writers?
    None. There's a reason I don't pay jack for these guys' input lol

7. The Following User Says Thank You to UNCBlue012 For This Useful Post:

Garmel (01-17-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,487 Posts
    Jon Heyman
    @JonHeyman
    ·
    8m
    #SFGiants interesting new entrant in Sonny sweepstakes. It does make sense; Giants prez Farhan Zaidi, who knows Sonny from A’s days, is said to be fan. It appears some other linked teams — A’s, Brewers, Braves, M’s, Pads, Reds — don’t appear to be at forefront of talks at moment
    Get off my lawn!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    Jon Heyman
    @JonHeyman
    ·
    8m
    #SFGiants interesting new entrant in Sonny sweepstakes. It does make sense; Giants prez Farhan Zaidi, who knows Sonny from A’s days, is said to be fan. It appears some other linked teams — A’s, Brewers, Braves, M’s, Pads, Reds — don’t appear to be at forefront of talks at moment
    Thank God. The Braves need to stay away. No reason to waste resources on him.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,487 Posts
    3:49pm: The Athletics and Padres are involved, while the Reds do not appear to be, according to SNY.tv’s Andy Martino (Twitter link).
    Get off my lawn!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    With all these teams it doesn't sound like a close deal to me. Has Heyman ever gotten anything right?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    With all these teams it doesn't sound like a close deal to me. Has Heyman ever gotten anything right?
    I think he once saved 15% on car insurance by switching to Geico.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

Garmel (01-18-2019), zbhargrove (01-18-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.mlb...-2019.amp.html

“Over the past six weeks, gaining a frontline starter, an outfielder and bolstering the bullpen have been described as needs for the Braves. But it would be more accurate to describe these as "wants." If necessary, Adam Duvall could serve as Atlanta's third outfielder”

Sigh...

It’s worth noting the payroll currently sits at about $107M. If they don’t make at least 1 more significant upgrade, they will likely be looking at 3rd place next year. It is completely inexcusable not to upgrade cOF, and not doing so would be a complete failure on the part of the FO. This was a known gaping hole.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 01-18-2019 at 02:27 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Signing Donaldson for 1 year was a good move but at 23 million it will be a complete waste of a season if COF isn’t upgraded at the same time. Them saying COF is more of a want is completely ridiculous.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts

“Over the past six weeks, gaining a frontline starter, an outfielder and bolstering the bullpen have been described as needs for the Braves. But it would be more accurate to describe these as "wants." If necessary, Adam Duvall could serve as Atlanta's third outfielder”

Sigh...

It’s worth noting the payroll currently sits at about $107M. If they don’t make at least 1 more significant upgrade, they will likely be looking at 3rd place next year. It is completely inexcusable not to upgrade cOF, and not doing so would be a complete failure on the part of the FO. This was a known gaping hole.
    I'm split on what I think the FO is doing here. I hope that they're playing it cool. They know they have to have a COF upgrade but they don't want to appear desperate to trade partners and FAs who might leverage that into a higher return. Considering AA runs a very quiet ship, I hope this is public posturing.

On the other hand, I'm afraid the FO is delusional when it comes to Duvall. In spite of the fact that Duvall was clearly in sharp decline last year before the trade, they traded for him (giving up more than he was worth) and immediately said he'd be platooning with Inciarte (whose struggles had a fair bit to do with bad luck). This shows the FO was higher on Duvall than they should have been. They then decided to offer arbitration to Duvall and have maintained the line all offseason that they're comfortable with him playing a big role.

Either they're using Duvall as negotiation tool in their attempts to get a COF upgrade or the FO can't admit they made a mistake and were wrong to trade for Duvall. I want to say it's the former but they obviously were pretty high on him when they traded for him and guys in executive positions sometimes have a hard time admitting mistakes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts

Sigh...

I think, and maybe hope more so than anything, that this is just more of Bowman's crap he puts out and calls content. This would be a huge fail of an offseason is Duvall becomes a starter.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts

Sigh...

That OF defense though

NL Rookie of the Year CrazyTrain's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    I'm split on what I think the FO is doing here. I hope that they're playing it cool. They know they have to have a COF upgrade but they don't want to appear desperate to trade partners and FAs who might leverage that into a higher return. Considering AA runs a very quiet ship, I hope this is public posturing.

On the other hand, I'm afraid the FO is delusional when it comes to Duvall. In spite of the fact that Duvall was clearly in sharp decline last year before the trade, they traded for him (giving up more than he was worth) and immediately said he'd be platooning with Inciarte (whose struggles had a fair bit to do with bad luck). This shows the FO was higher on Duvall than they should have been. They then decided to offer arbitration to Duvall and have maintained the line all offseason that they're comfortable with him playing a big role.

Either they're using Duvall as negotiation tool in their attempts to get a COF upgrade or the FO can't admit they made a mistake and were wrong to trade for Duvall. I want to say it's the former but they obviously were pretty high on him when they traded for him and guys in executive positions sometimes have a hard time admitting mistakes.
    The funny thing to me is that they went out and spent huge bucks to upgrade a position of strength just to ignore one of our biggest weaknesses. I have to say that I'm not as high on AA as most here. Duvall is terrible, always has been. Trading for him was odd, signing him through arbitration this season is even more curious. I don't see a fit for him at all here. He's not even a viable bench bat.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyTrain View Post
    The funny thing to me is that they went out and spent huge bucks to upgrade a position of strength just to ignore one of our biggest weaknesses. I have to say that I'm not as high on AA as most here. Duvall is terrible, always has been. Trading for him was odd, signing him through arbitration this season is even more curious. I don't see a fit for him at all here. He's not even a viable bench bat.
    When the opportunity is there, you can't have to make moves for guys like Donaldson. I know he has a sketchy injury history, but the guy is a gamechanger and could easily push Atlanta over the top if he's anywhere close to his MVP season or second-half output from last season. Additionally, AA values defense and positional flexibility, so to him, moving Camargo into the utility role, a la the Dodgers, is a huge upgrade. I get we all have our opinoions but AA is most definitely making improvements. Hell, he could make two huge moves to impove the team today and people not agree, but he's doing fine. That said, if Duvall is our starting right fielder Opening Day, screw everything I just wrote. lol

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    I keep getting the feeling that we have a potential deal in place that will fill or upgrade a couple of positions with a team that will be looking to shed some salary to sign a Big name free agent like Harper or Machado. AA likes taaking on salary for value in another player and he also likes package deals. This would make sense as to why we've sat on our hands all this time.

There's a small part of me that would not be surprised with a trade being executed today to be discussed tomorrow during Chop Fest.

NL Rookie of the Year CrazyTrain's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    That OF defense though
    Damn, I didn't realize that Duvall offers GG caliber defense. His UZR and UZR/150 are on par with Ender.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyTrain View Post
    The funny thing to me is that they went out and spent huge bucks to upgrade a position of strength just to ignore one of our biggest weaknesses.
    right now we have no idea if this is true. don't let that stop you tho
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    i will be shocked if we don't upgrade cOF and roll with duvall. there's very little chance of that IMO.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg