Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: What Concerns you most about 2014?

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    My biggest concern for 2014 is getting the game day threads organized for the bored.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to NinersSBChamps For This Useful Post:

Mrs. Meta (02-18-2014)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mossy View Post
    Matt has a legitimate point though. And we won our division playing some rather streaky ball.
    We also won with...

- Our top two setup men missing basically all year.
    - Huddy missed two months.
    - Heyward missed two months.
    - BJ and Uggla had two all-time bad seasons.
    - Despite that, won 96 games.

The Nats are a very good team but they didnt have a massive amount of things go wrong.

All 3 of Stras/Gio/Zimmerman had great years.

Werth had a career year at 34 years old.

People act like they're the 27 Yankees.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heyward For This Useful Post:

AerchAngel (02-18-2014), AUTiger7222 (02-18-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    He has been "slipping" by his high standards.
    And another slip brings him into average relief pitcher status.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    We also won with...

- Our top two setup men missing basically all year.
    - Huddy missed two months.
    - Heyward missed two months.
    - BJ and Uggla had two all-time bad seasons.
    - Despite that, won 96 games.

The Nats are a very good team but they didnt have a massive amount of things go wrong.

All 3 of Stras/Gio/Zimmerman had great years.

Werth had a career year at 34 years old.

People act like they're the 27 Yankees.
    Harper was hurt, Werth was hurt, Ramos was hurt, Espinosa was hurt, and they replaced arguably their worst pitcher (Haren) with Fister. So if Harper is healthy and Espinosa is healthy (he can push Rendon or replace if Rendon is hurt or sucking) and they improved on their starting pitching. If they add 2 fWAR at pitching, and stay about equal on offense. They're gonna be much tougher.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Cue [MENTION=99]gilesfan[/MENTION] to valiantly defend all things Washington (including Bryce Harper's micropenis).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Cue [MENTION=99]gilesfan[/MENTION] to valiantly defend all things Washington (including Bryce Harper's micropenis).
    That should be a twitter account.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zitothebrave For This Useful Post:

AUTiger7222 (02-18-2014), jpx7 (02-18-2014)

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Harper was hurt, Werth was hurt, Ramos was hurt, Espinosa was hurt, and they replaced arguably their worst pitcher (Haren) with Fister. So if Harper is healthy and Espinosa is healthy (he can push Rendon or replace if Rendon is hurt or sucking) and they improved on their starting pitching. If they add 2 fWAR at pitching, and stay about equal on offense. They're gonna be much tougher.
    Espinosa is crap, replacing him with Rendon was an upgrade.

Bryce was hurt, maybe that affected his play.

Werth was as well, but did we not have any injuries?

I agree with Fister over Haren though.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    And one more thing...they are po'ed they lost to us. This is fast becoming a Cowboys/Redskins type rivalry. They don't like us, nor we them. In the old days in the West, the Dodgers/Braves rivalry was hot but nothing like this.

Called Up to the Major Leagues AUTiger7222's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    Why stop at 4? Why not go to 5? Or 6 which is his whole career? It's because 4 makes your argument best.

If you go 2 he's at +0.9 runs, 3 years he's at -2.3 4 years he's at -12, 5 years he's at +3 and for his career he's at +14.3

You literally took the one sample he looks really bad in. Every other one he looks average or above average.
    If you want to go the whole career then B.J. Upton is a better hitter than Denard Span and there's no way on this planet you would consider him above-average, at least not today on February 18th.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Espinosa is crap, replacing him with Rendon was an upgrade.

Bryce was hurt, maybe that affected his play.

Werth was as well, but did we not have any injuries?

I agree with Fister over Haren though.
    Espinosa isn't crap. In2011 and 2012 he was about average as a hitter (which is above average for a 2B) and well above average defensively. He's not a stud but he was a 3.2 and 3.4 fWAR palyer in 11 and 12 respectively. Which is about what Justin gave us last year.

I never said we didn't have injuries, but you said they didn't have a massive amount of things going wrong, which I'm pretty sure I just proved wrong.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AUTiger7222 View Post
    If you want to go the whole career then B.J. Upton is a better hitter than Denard Span and there's no way on this planet you would consider him above-average, at least not today on February 18th.
    BJ is fresh of a 56 wRC+ season, something Span never even came close to.

Overall on their career, Span has been better than Bossman thanks to his terrible season last year.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory ChapelHillMatt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    187 Posts
    Heyward, I think you took my comment the wrong way. I'm very high on this Braves team. I'm just saying if there is one thing I'm worried about it's not any one area of our team, it's will our competition be stiffer than it was last year? I think Washington underachieved last year. I do think the Braves will be improved but that doesn't necessarily mean we'll win more games. It's going to be a challenge to win the division again this year. I don't believe Washington is the 27 Yankees or the overwhelming favorite but I do believe they deserve more credit than people on this board give them. They are very talented and a serious threat to win it all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    BJ is fresh of a 56 wRC+ season, something Span never even came close to.

Overall on their career, Span has been better than Bossman thanks to his terrible season last year.
    B.J. has had a season that Denard Span has never come close to. A better season than even Jason Heyward and Brian McCann have ever had. You're the one that wants to use career numbers, well be fair and use career numbers. But yeah 103 to 102. Denard Span is SO MUCH BETTER than B.J. Upton.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AUTiger7222 View Post
    B.J. has had a season that Denard Span has never come close to. A better season than even Jason Heyward and Brian McCann have ever had. You're the one that wants to use career numbers, well be fair and use career numbers. But yeah 103 to 102. Denard Span is SO MUCH BETTER than B.J. Upton.
    wRC+ only tells part of the tale. On their career Bossman has a park adjusted wRAA of 11.9 SPan is at 14.3. Their wRAA non-park adjusted favors Span even more. Which is what I said was the case. That because of how terrible Bossman was last year, Span has been better, it's the truth. Bossman could easily bounce back and surpass Span, but I never even attempted to make that assertion. You're the one who brought BJ into this. And BJ's best seasons were 6 and 7 years into the past and he's been in baseball for 9 seasons. Span as I said is an above average hitter, the only way you can prove that wrong is by taking an exact 4 year sample.

Hey tell you what, Brian McCann isn't a great hitter, his last 2 seasons he was only worth 2.5 runs above average. Why did he get paid so much? Selective sampling leads to problems. You purposely chose 4 years in your sample when most samples are 2 or 3. But you purposely went to 4 because it made your case.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChapelHillMatt View Post
    Heyward, I think you took my comment the wrong way. I'm very high on this Braves team. I'm just saying if there is one thing I'm worried about it's not any one area of our team, it's will our competition be stiffer than it was last year? I think Washington underachieved last year. I do think the Braves will be improved but that doesn't necessarily mean we'll win more games. It's going to be a challenge to win the division again this year. I don't believe Washington is the 27 Yankees or the overwhelming favorite but I do believe they deserve more credit than people on this board give them. They are very talented and a serious threat to win it all.
    I never said they suck, they have a very good team.

One of the best pitching staffs in baseball, a solid lineup 1-8 but they arent perfect.

To the latter, they're of, who could win it all, they also may not.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Espinosa isn't crap. In2011 and 2012 he was about average as a hitter (which is above average for a 2B) and well above average defensively. He's not a stud but he was a 3.2 and 3.4 fWAR palyer in 11 and 12 respectively. Which is about what Justin gave us last year.

I never said we didn't have injuries, but you said they didn't have a massive amount of things going wrong, which I'm pretty sure I just proved wrong.
    Rendon over Espinosa was a huge upgrade, take that out.

They signed Haren to hope he would pitch well to compliment their top 3, thats on them.

Werth/Harper, sure, but they didnt miss the entire season, did they?

Again, they didnt have a massive amount of things go wrong.

Some yes, but not a lot of them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Rendon being better than Espinosa isn't good for us. That means he's around a 4 fWAR 2B meaning he's around one of the 5 best 2B in baseball.

They signed Haren, he didn't do too well, they got someone better. That's in improvement and something that went wrong for them.

Werth missed about 20 games or so and harper about 40, That's about what we lost with Jason and Mac. Which are 2 players often cited as spots for improvement.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Rendon being better than Espinosa isn't good for us. That means he's around a 4 fWAR 2B meaning he's around one of the 5 best 2B in baseball.

They signed Haren, he didn't do too well, they got someone better. That's in improvement and something that went wrong for them.

Werth missed about 20 games or so and harper about 40, That's about what we lost with Jason and Mac. Which are 2 players often cited as spots for improvement.
    We also missed Gattis for some time on the DL, as well as BJ and Freeman hit the DL.

Stop acting like we had nothing go wrong.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    I never said we had nothing go wrong, you listed pretty much everything that went wrong for us then said "The Nats are a very good team but they didnt have a massive amount of things go wrong."

My point is that they did too. Both of us had stuff go wrong. We both lost lots of time to important offensive players, the only thing they didn't have was starter health problems of any major sort like us losing Hudson. But even then Hudson was our 4th best pitcher.

Also BJ getting hurt probably worked out better for our team considering how inept he was.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    wRC+ only tells part of the tale. On their career Bossman has a park adjusted wRAA of 11.9 SPan is at 14.3. Their wRAA non-park adjusted favors Span even more. Which is what I said was the case. That because of how terrible Bossman was last year, Span has been better, it's the truth. Bossman could easily bounce back and surpass Span, but I never even attempted to make that assertion. You're the one who brought BJ into this. And BJ's best seasons were 6 and 7 years into the past and he's been in baseball for 9 seasons. Span as I said is an above average hitter, the only way you can prove that wrong is by taking an exact 4 year sample.

Hey tell you what, Brian McCann isn't a great hitter, his last 2 seasons he was only worth 2.5 runs above average. Why did he get paid so much? Selective sampling leads to problems. You purposely chose 4 years in your sample when most samples are 2 or 3. But you purposely went to 4 because it made your case.
    Span's best seasons were 5 years ago dude. What's the difference in wanting to make it a bad mark against BJ. that his best years were 6 years ago when Span's best years were 5 years ago? Seriously? What's the difference? 1 year? Oh wow, Let's hold B.J.'s last 5 years against him but give Span a pass for his last 4 years.

The reason I brought B.J. up was because you cannot say Denard Span is a "above-average" hitter and then turn out and say B.J. isn't when up until 2013 B.J. Upton had the better career. B.J. was beyond pathetic in 2013, I'm not denying that. But Span wasn't good either with his 97 wRC+ and hasn't been good in 5 years.