Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sarah Palin Smack Down Spectacular

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts

Sarah Palin Smack Down Spectacular

To bring this over from the Ukraine thread.

Hawk, part of the problem with Palin is that compared to many of her contemporaries she is dumb, or at the very least less learned. Palin has all the feelings of a pageant queen or news anchor, someone who's coached on a number of things.

But if you compare her to say Hildog.

Palin went to/enrolled in 5 different colleges and took 5 years to get her 4 year degree. After graduating college she went and worked as a sportscaster.

Hildog went to Wessley College, then to Yale Law, and then moved onto being an attorney.

I don't think Palin is dumb, but generally when you're dealing with politicians you're generally dealing with Lawyers etc. who're usually more educated. She isn't dumb by normal standards. She's probably above average intelligence, but when compared ot most of her contemporaries, she stuggles.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Thank you for creating this thread ...

For starters, I don't buy into the argument that a 'learned' politician is more qualified for high office than an individual with a more humble educational background.

To me, leadership skills are not something you can learn in a book.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    [MENTION=1]KeithLockhart[/MENTION]

I don't think calling Palin an idiot is sexist at all.
    Then what is it? Palin is exponentially more polished in 2014 than she was in 2008. Do you think she would make the same simple mistakes again? I highly doubt it.

Obama had four years (from the 2004 DNC) to prep for his time on the national stage in 2008. Palin had a few weeks.

FWIW, McCain's chief attack on Obama in 2008 centered around his lack of preparedness to handle international issues. The populace was willing to overlook that at the time because the universal view was that our domestic economy needed more direct attention. It's interesting to see how that is playing out now.
    Last edited by Hawk; 03-10-2014 at 11:43 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Thank you for creating this thread ...

For starters, I don't buy into the argument that a 'learned' politician is more qualified for high office than an individual with a more humble educational background.

To me, leadership skills are not something you can learn in a book.
    I agree, I don't think being smart makes you right for everything. Eisenhower by most accounts wasn't especially smart. Certainly not of the Jefferson/Madison mold. Andrew Jackson is another. Both are by most accounts solid presidents at the very least.

Conversely Jimmy Carter is brilliant(maybe the most intelligent president post-Kennedy), and did not succeed as a president.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    To bring this over from the Ukraine thread.

Hawk, part of the problem with Palin is that compared to many of her contemporaries she is dumb, or at the very least less learned. Palin has all the feelings of a pageant queen or news anchor, someone who's coached on a number of things.

But if you compare her to say Hildog.

Palin went to/enrolled in 5 different colleges and took 5 years to get her 4 year degree. After graduating college she went and worked as a sportscaster.

Hildog went to Wessley College, then to Yale Law, and then moved onto being an attorney.

I don't think Palin is dumb, but generally when you're dealing with politicians you're generally dealing with Lawyers etc. who're usually more educated. She isn't dumb by normal standards. She's probably above average intelligence, but when compared ot most of her contemporaries, she stuggles.
    Hillary is pretty high up there as far as intelligent politicians go. So it's pretty unfair to compare her to one of the most intelligent politicians. She's up there near Ron Paul territory.

Imo, looking at all the circumstantial evidence we have. I'd compare Palin's education and intellect to Joe Biden's education and intellect.
    thank you weso1!

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    Hillary is pretty high up there as far as intelligent politicians go. So it's pretty unfair to compare her to one of the most intelligent politicians. She's up there near Ron Paul territory.

Imo, looking at all the circumstantial evidence we have. I'd compare Palin's education and intellect to Joe Biden's education and intellect.
    Biden is an interminable gas bag and he should know better than to put his foot in his mouth with the regularity that he does. I don't Palin is smart enough to come in out of the rain. It has nothing to do with innate leadership qualities or anything like that, I just think she lacks smarts. She parlayed a lot of activity with her local school district into a spot on the Wasilia City Council to the Lt. Gov's nomination to the governorship. It isn't that much different than the path taken by Michelle Bachmann in Minnesota (and Bachmann is probably smarter in terms of IQ). If the Republicans are looking for a bright woman, try Nikki Haley.

But don't get me wrong, Biden's sins are more punishable than Palin's simply because after this much time in office, he should know when to shut it.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (03-10-2014)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Wait I thought you liked her?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Biden is an interminable gas bag and he should know better than to put his foot in his mouth with the regularity that he does. I don't Palin is smart enough to come in out of the rain. It has nothing to do with innate leadership qualities or anything like that, I just think she lacks smarts. She parlayed a lot of activity with her local school district into a spot on the Wasilia City Council to the Lt. Gov's nomination to the governorship. It isn't that much different than the path taken by Michelle Bachmann in Minnesota (and Bachmann is probably smarter in terms of IQ). If the Republicans are looking for a bright woman, try Nikki Haley.

But don't get me wrong, Biden's sins are more punishable than Palin's simply because after this much time in office, he should know when to shut it.
    Biden never learns because he's just simply not that smart. People give him a pass because he's an old well dressed white liberal man. They just say, "'Oh, that's just Biden being Biden." while constantly telling us Palin is an idiot. This isn't a compliment to Palin, but it is what it is. Biden finished bottom of his class at mediocre schools.
    Last edited by weso1; 03-10-2014 at 05:08 PM.
    thank you weso1!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to weso1 For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (03-11-2014)

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Well, let me turn the table at bit: What do see in her as being profoundly unintellectual?

I see her smarts exhibited through her ability to have survived 2008 and its aftermath. And to still have enough relevance to go around over half a decade later. Her brand is extremely valuable.

Spare me the earlier recounting of the Katie Couric interview (which I find easily defensible for many of the reasons I have already mentioned).

I just dislike the Pavlovian instinct to cry "Idiot!" every time Palin opens her mouth primarily because I don't see her as having said, or for that matter actually done, anything to merit that level of malice.
    Who said she survived?

She resigned as Governor only 3 years into her term.

She was only invited to endorse and campaign for the insane Tea Party candidates in 2010.

She was not invited anywhere near any major Republican candidate's rally in 2012.

She's been reduced to doing softball "exclusive" interviews with O'Reilly, Hannity and Van Susteren where they lay the breadcrumbs for her in the interview and she just follows.

Her brand works because she selfishly promotes it for her own good.
    Forever Fredi

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    None of the instances you mentioned (all of which can be debunked) remotely back up the idea that the woman who just owned CPAC didn't survive.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    speaking of people and ideas RW are fond. Yet when you mention their name no one supports them ---
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_4937510.html

Look back a few weeks ago to a threaed where the fist shakers were seeing the threat of the LGBT masses

//////////////////////////////////////////////////

As to Joe Biden - he has dismantled the two VP candidates in debates and ruined the brand of Rudy Giuliani- who at the time was the presumptive (R) POTUS candidate. And on the big stage was right on the threats in Afghanistan . Seems since his MTP gaffe on Gay Marriage if I'm not wrong the needle has moved. No, not moved has caused a seizmic shift in the politics of Gay Rights. To the point of where Rep Bachmann and Bedell are all a fist shakin and seeing pink behind every rock
    A lot of "new analysts" are "news analysts" by underestimating Joe

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Biden never learns because he's just simply not that smart. People give him a pass because he's an old well dressed white liberal man. They just say, "'Oh, that's just Biden being Biden." while constantly telling us Palin is an idiot. This isn't a compliment to Palin, but it is what it is. Biden finished bottom of his class at mediocre schools.
    Biden isn't particularly smart. I don't think anyone claims otherwise. People laugh at Biden though, laugh at Palin and you're a sexist.

Hysterical Girlfriend
    That Storms Out and
    Returns the Next Day
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    I've never understood why Obama picked Biden. Nobody likes the guy, and he generally seems to be a laughing stock.

Conserv's liked Palin far more than libs liked Biden, if my impressions are correct.

Palin was too outspoken and divisive in my opinion. Perhaps she's improved, but I avoid any story about her as a rule. I just don't like her style.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mossy View Post
    I've never understood why Obama picked Biden. Nobody likes the guy, and he generally seems to be a laughing stock.

Conserv's liked Palin far more than libs liked Biden, if my impressions are correct.

Palin was too outspoken and divisive in my opinion. Perhaps she's improved, but I avoid any story about her as a rule. I just don't like her style.
    Biden is a safe folksy white person. Draws better than female liberal hilary or anyone else Obama could have named. VP choices no a days are about solidifying something. Ryan was to counter how stiff Mitt came off, Palin was to counteract old McCain, Dick Cheney was there because we needed more evil robots in higher government.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to zitothebrave For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (03-11-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mossy View Post

That's fair, but the question remains as to why does Biden get a pass and Palin doesn't in regards to intelligence? Both are questionable intelligence wise, yet the Palin detractors bird walked to the voting both to vote for Biden for VP. It's kind of similar to the Palin debate about experience. They grumped about Palin's experience as a politician and then... I'll just say it... bird walked into that voting both and pushed the button for Obama, who had questionable experience as well. It would be nice to see some consistency in these arguments.
    thank you weso1!

Called Up to the Major Leagues Gary82's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    375 Posts
    That's fair, but the question remains as to why does Biden get a pass and Palin doesn't in regards to intelligence? Both are questionable intelligence wise, yet the Palin detractors bird walked to the voting both to vote for Biden for VP. It's kind of similar to the Palin debate about experience. They grumped about Palin's experience as a politician and then... I'll just say it... bird walked into that voting both and pushed the button for Obama, who had questionable experience as well. It would be nice to see some consistency in these arguments.
    My guesses:

Because Palin is a meanie, and Joe is just a dumbass goofball. I'm sure Joe is a bastard like Palin, but public perception and stuff.

Obama spoke out against the war, and he was a Harvard grad. Palin lived near Russia.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary82 View Post
    My guesses:

Because Palin is a meanie, and Joe is just a dumbass goofball. I'm sure Joe is a bastard like Palin, but public perception and stuff.

Obama spoke out against the war, and he was a Harvard grad. Palin lived near Russia.
    Biden is a white well dressed male politician. Hell, I bet if you took a poll you'd find folks think Biden is as smart or smarter than Hillary. So it's not just political here.

I agree with you about perception, but jpx complained about our motivations in regard to elections (rightfully so) and yet I bet he walked into that voting both and voted for an under educated VP and an inexperience president. Why? Because he rationalized it all away like we all do. Hell, let's be honest... there isn't a politician capable of winning any of us really want to vote for. We pull the trigger because we feel it's our duty or because we want our team to win a sporting event. In the end we're all just riding the wave.
    thank you weso1!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to weso1 For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (03-11-2014)

Called Up to the Major Leagues Gary82's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    375 Posts
    Biden is a white well dressed male politician. Hell, I bet if you took a poll you'd find folks think Biden is as smart or smarter than Hillary. So it's not just political here.

I agree with you about perception, but jpx complained about our motivations in regard to elections (rightfully so) and yet I bet he walked into that voting both and voted for an under educated VP and an inexperience president. Why? Because he rationalized it all away like we all do. Hell, let's be honest... there isn't a politician capable of winning any of us really want to vote for. We pull the trigger because we feel it's our duty or because we want our team to win a sporting event. In the end we're all just riding the wave.
    Everyone has their own reasons why they vote. I was willing to vote for an inexperienced community organizing lawyer and a man with too many hairplugs because he said things I agreed with and fell more along the lines of my beliefs than the other guys. I was sick of war and nauseous of the conservative views on economics.

Now, have we entered a golden age of blowjobs? No, sir. But, I believe the alternative would have been worse. Of course, who the **** knows. As you age, you realize no one knows what the **** they're talking about or what the hell they're doing.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Biden finished law school and got the degree, which to me doesn't mean that much but to the guy on the street it translates to "He's a lawyer! Gotta be smart to do that." With apologies to smart lawyers, I can honestly say that some of the dumbest people I know are lawyers. Not stupid, but flat out dumb. Tone deaf. I think that's Biden in a nutshell. I think Obama picked him because he was an establishment guy.

I just don't buy (and never will) the comparison on the relative inexperience of Palin and Obama as any kind of equivalence.

I've watched politicians for a living. As much as I disagree with Michelle Bachmann on just about everything, if you want to talk about the construction of a career out of relatively nothing, follow hers. She worked with a very small conservative activist group railing against Minnesota's state education policy in church basements and turned herself into a national celebrity in about ten years and she wasn't tapped on the shoulder, she built it herself (and has p*ssed a lot of her former allies off in the process). I always laugh when Bachmann would deride Obama as a community organizer because Bachmann is the best community organizer I have ever seen.

Palin was tapped on the shoulder. She was a conservative blank slate and a very calculated choice by the McCain team. Physically attractive and non-threatening, her presence filled a couple of gaps that the McCain team felt it had. I'm not going to say she lacks native intelligence, although it appears that she does. She was thrust into the spotlight and there was a lot of catching up for her to do on a broad range of issues. Her views lack a sophistication that many have come to expect but that could be due to lack of exposure to subject matter as much as anything else. I just don't see any intellectual curiosity in her (which some conservatives like) and intellectual curiosity almost defines Obama completely (to the point where it does compromise his leadership abilities).

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

57Brave (03-11-2014), Julio3000 (03-11-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    I think on paper we had 4 people that in no way should have been elected President/VP. Our choices were pretty terrible in 2008. Obama clearly lacked experience and Biden lacked smarts in regards to being President. Palin lacked experience and smarts and McCain lacked smarts. Just looking at the resumes and it's really a head scratcher.

Just as a quick aside. I really think the dems might have blown it in 2008. They should have nominated Hillary to go up against McCain. They would've likely had 8 years of Hillary and then an experienced Obama would be tough to beat in 2016. While Hillary is the favorite right now, I think we all agree that she isn't near as good of a politician as Obama. Hillary is going up against a tough pub field in 16. Whoever comes out of that field will be tough to beat in 16. I think the dems would like their chances better if Obama was the candidate for 16. We'll see what happens.
    thank you weso1!

26. The Following User Says Thank You to weso1 For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (03-11-2014)