Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    Steven Cohen
    @StevenACohen2
    · 1h
    I’m not happy this morning . I’ve never seen such unprofessional behavior exhibited by a player’s agent.I guess words and promises don’t matter.

That is the Mets owner responding to Steven Matz signing with the Cardinals. Apparently, they were under the impression they would get a final call to match or beat an offer for him and they did not get it.

This is the second time this offseason, with Thor being the first....love the Mets misery.
    I love how he blames the agent outright. It could simply be Matz telling his agent that he didn't want to go back to New York. I obviously don't know the whole story

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-24-2021)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MadduxFanII View Post
    If I'm remembering correctly, we once got incredibly pissed at Rafael Furcal's agent, because we thought we had a deal to bring him back to Atlanta, and instead the agent used our signed offer sheet to go back to the Dodgers and extract more money from them. But without knowing any of the details in the Matz situation, my operating assumption is that Cohen is almost certainly full of ****.
    Big Suspenders really blew a gasket on that one, but the Dodgers went outside the box and really beefed up the AAV on a shorter-term deal. There is professional courtesy and I'm not making excuses for the agent if there was a commitment to give the Braves a chance to match, but that's around the time Schuerholz was whining about the economics of baseball so I take anything from that period with a grain of salt.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-24-2021)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    Steven Cohen
    @StevenACohen2
    · 1h
    I’m not happy this morning . I’ve never seen such unprofessional behavior exhibited by a player’s agent.I guess words and promises don’t matter.

That is the Mets owner responding to Steven Matz signing with the Cardinals. Apparently, they were under the impression they would get a final call to match or beat an offer for him and they did not get it.

This is the second time this offseason, with Thor being the first....love the Mets misery.
    This is how sore losers talk, and is the equivalent of blaming the umps.

Fact of the matter is the Mets are one of the worst organizations from top to bottom, and I wouldn't blame any pitcher for wanting out.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Likely an upgrade from Demeritte, but he'd probably be in the same situation of hitting the waiver wire again if and when we start signing FAs and need 40-man spaces. Has the same K problem as Demeritte.
    Not sure about that anymore - Frazier can't stay on the field. The secrecy surrounding exactly what they think is actually wrong with him physically leads me to believe it's debilitating and that he may not truly "recover". That said, not only am I not a doctor, I didn't stay in ANY hotel last night - much less a Holiday Inn Express.

The one of their DFAs I hate we missed out on is Wade - unless the Angels put several surprising names on the PTBNL list the Yankees are going to get to choose from, a $700K left-handed bat that can be a backup SS would have been a really nice fit here IMO.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Not sure about that anymore - Frazier can't stay on the field. The secrecy surrounding exactly what they think is actually wrong with him physically leads me to believe it's debilitating and that he may not truly "recover". That said, not only am I not a doctor, I didn't stay in ANY hotel last night - much less a Holiday Inn Express.

The one of their DFAs I hate we missed out on is Wade - unless the Angels put several surprising names on the PTBNL list the Yankees are going to get to choose from, a $700K left-handed bat that can be a backup SS would have been a really nice fit here IMO.
    Only point I was trying to make is that Frazier has had some success with the bat at the major league level. Of course, I keep underestimating Demeritte's ability to free up Anthopoulos to trade Albies.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

clvclv (11-24-2021), gamecock4braves (11-24-2021), jpx7 (11-24-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts

The issue with Frazier is he definitely doesn't fit "The Braves Way". AA talked about bringing in guys who fit culture, and if you read about Frazier, I doubt he's that.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to NYCBrave For This Useful Post:

clvclv (11-24-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    This is how sore losers talk, and is the equivalent of blaming the umps.

Fact of the matter is the Mets are one of the worst organizations from top to bottom, and I wouldn't blame any pitcher for wanting out.
    Another factor is you can see why the Mets were declined by so many of the top candidates around the league to take their GM position. You've clearly got an owner who is going to be involved in picking players and the negotiations with agents. Which probably makes for a miserable job as GM.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts

Braves' entrants in the Arizona Fall League didn't particularly shine (although Lugbauer's power display was impressive), but Luke Waddell acquitted himself fairly well for a guy who was playing college ball in the spring of 2021. I don't know what his ceiling is, but he's a LHH and played SS at Georgia Tech. He didn't play SS in the Arizona Fall League, but if he shows he can at least stand at the position without making a fool of himself, he could find his way onto the big league club soon, most likely in 2023. Could be a decent back-up.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-24-2021)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    The issue with Frazier is he definitely doesn't fit "The Braves Way". AA talked about bringing in guys who fit culture, and if you read about Frazier, I doubt he's that.
    Is he a Wild Ginger or something on that order?

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,852 Posts
    Thethe, your boy Austin Riley got voted First Team All-MLB for 3B.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

buck75 (11-24-2021), JohnAdcox (11-26-2021), thethe (11-24-2021)

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Anyone know if Mike Schmidt was voted All Mlb at age 24????

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Braves' entrants in the Arizona Fall League didn't particularly shine (although Lugbauer's power display was impressive), but Luke Waddell acquitted himself fairly well for a guy who was playing college ball in the spring of 2021. I don't know what his ceiling is, but he's a LHH and played SS at Georgia Tech. He didn't play SS in the Arizona Fall League, but if he shows he can at least stand at the position without making a fool of himself, he could find his way onto the big league club soon, most likely in 2023. Could be a decent back-up.
    Lugbauer hit .346 and had an OPS of 1.145 in 16 games. He struck out 20 times, but I'd definitely say he "shined"

Called Up to the Major Leagues ixiXSolidXixi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    I am starting to think we should no tender Duvall. We need Rosario and Soler.

Any chance Acuña get move to first base?

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ixiXSolidXixi View Post
    I am starting to think we should no tender Duvall. We need Rosario and Soler.

Any chance Acuña get move to first base?
    Duvall at 9 mil isnt that bad for 1 year. Dont see why Acuna cant stay in the outfield. And eventually i think we'll come to terms with Freddie on a new deal. Rosario i'd take back, but obviously depends on the money/years for him. Soler depends on Ozuna's situation.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heyward For This Useful Post:

buck75 (11-25-2021), JohnAdcox (11-26-2021)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    That's my point with Wade - he could be the backup NOW - or at least until one of Shewmake or Waddell is deemed "ready", which neither likely will be this season.

At $700K, it would have been an easy call to DFA Arcia - then they could have circled back to see if Adrianza would have been interested in returning for the same amount he made in 2021. The cost for the TWO of them would be roughly what Arcia's due to make in arbitration by himself. I realize that's not a huge savings - and neither of those guys has Arcia's pop - but every million AA is able to shave with moves like that makes it easier to pay Freeman. I think that's a big part of what was shocking to a lot of people when Pina was signed - that's around $3 million that could've been saved if they would have chosen to carry Contreras as the backup.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    That's my point with Wade - he could be the backup NOW - or at least until one of Shewmake or Waddell is deemed "ready", which neither likely will be this season.

At $700K, it would have been an easy call to DFA Arcia - then they could have circled back to see if Adrianza would have been interested in returning for the same amount he made in 2021. The cost for the TWO of them would be roughly what Arcia's due to make in arbitration by himself. I realize that's not a huge savings - and neither of those guys has Arcia's pop - but every million AA is able to shave with moves like that makes it easier to pay Freeman. I think that's a big part of what was shocking to a lot of people when Pina was signed - that's around $3 million that could've been saved if they would have chosen to carry Contreras as the backup.
    Im gonna wait to see how our offseason is handled before i say much about the Pina move. 3 mil for a backup catcher does seem a little rich for a non top of the market team. Maybe AA has more money to play with than any of us thought.

Arizona Fall Leaguer BravesBlock's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    I love how he blames the agent outright. It could simply be Matz telling his agent that he didn't want to go back to New York. I obviously don't know the whole story
    I remember JS making similar comments about Furcal’s agent. He was so angry that he publicly stated the Braves would would never deal with that agent again. I believe they did sign a guy later but not sure if they ever did that again.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Im gonna wait to see how our offseason is handled before i say much about the Pina move. 3 mil for a backup catcher does seem a little rich for a non top of the market team. Maybe AA has more money to play with than any of us thought.
    My hope as well.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

buck75 (11-25-2021), Heyward (11-25-2021), JohnAdcox (11-26-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    Mets in agreement with free-agent infielder Eduardo Escobar on two-year, $20M contract.

also, the Orioles are reportedly listening to offers on Mullins. There had been speculation but it’s legitimately being reported now.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to UNCBlue012 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-26-2021)

Arbitration Eligible Freshmaker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    522 Posts
    Cannot imagine what it would take to get Mullins