Page 19 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Thread for Games ...

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mossy View Post
    wondering out loud, why is Swansons back taking so long to work itself out...
    Because ... what's the rush? They know what he can do. This is a rare chance for Camargo to prove his worth.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I believe it was John Hart.
    Round of applause for a tremendous joke

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    The pitching the last two days has spoken to me. Here's what I heard.

Wisler does not belong in the majors at present -- and it pains me to say so.

O'Flaherty deserves a bullpen spot.

Colon or Dickey should be traded soon and let Collmenter keep his rotation spot that he earned last year.

Acuna is a big leaguer NOW. (OK, a pitcher told me this)

Teheran is our ace, now and in the future. He must be extended.

Fried should skip AA if there is a starting role available in Gwinnett. Not sure there is. If he starts at Mississippi, he should skip AAA when he's ready.

If Blair can't pitch by Tuesday, send him down to get quality work.

Garcia's outing today (Sunday) was the biggest boost this team has gotten this spring, I think.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    The pitching the last two days has spoken to me. Here's what I heard.

Wisler does not belong in the majors at present -- and it pains me to say so.

O'Flaherty deserves a bullpen spot.

Colon or Dickey should be traded soon and let Collmenter keep his rotation spot that he earned last year.

Acuna is a big leaguer NOW. (OK, a pitcher told me this)

Teheran is our ace, now and in the future. He must be extended.

Fried should skip AA if there is a starting role available in Gwinnett. Not sure there is. If he starts at Mississippi, he should skip AAA when he's ready.

If Blair can't pitch by Tuesday, send him down to get quality work.

Garcia's outing today (Sunday) was the biggest boost this team has gotten this spring, I think.
    Rico, I hope this isn't a serious post. This is spring training, be very careful making much for good or bad based on such results.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Suzuki looks like he's primed for a yuge season.

He'll be motoring around the bases.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (03-12-2017), nsacpi (03-12-2017), Tapate50 (03-12-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    Rico, I hope this isn't a serious post. This is spring training, be very careful making much for good or bad based on such results.
    A little tongue-in-cheek, but it's based on more than spring results. But let me back up a few of these.

Garcia's biggest concern was his health. Resolved.

Blair was dinged by a comebacker, but has missed a turn. He's had next to no work against live hitting. Back fields, I agree, do not count.

Fried's age and second half -- not to mention his pre-injury prognosis -- all factor in to that note.

Collmenter was terrific late last year. He's been strong this spring, and his latest outing came when Blair got hurt, so it was on quick prep. He's just a pro.

Acuna, is just me getting on the bandwagon. Look at what the "experts" are saying. He's going to be that good, and Latin guys aren't rushed the same way domestic players are. Imagine was a package of Markakis and Dickey or Colon would possible generate. Not saying it'd be overwhelming, but it would sure be interesting.

Wisler has picked up where he left off last year. Gave up two bombs Sunday. He is in full collapse mode.

Teheran requires no explanation. Watched him deal in WBC. He is money.

So what's not to be taken seriously?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    I was a huge Wisler supporter but whatever is going on now and he's turned to hot garbage. Wish we could trade him but doubt anyone else wants him at this point. He sucks. Still think Blair can be good.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,477 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    I was a huge Wisler supporter but whatever is going on now and he's turned to hot garbage. Wish we could trade him but doubt anyone else wants him at this point. He sucks. Still think Blair can be good.
    I hate selling low, but I'd do it with him if we could get any kind of value. No way anyone would want him right now. He's just not good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    A little tongue-in-cheek, but it's based on more than spring results. But let me back up a few of these.
    OK, sure. My response to your comments follow yours which I'll put in quotation marks.

"Garcia's biggest concern was his health. Resolved."

How is Garcia being oft-injured now resolved? He has shown ability to pitch for months before only to get injured again. We won't know about that till we see if he can make it through a season without hitting the DL again. Also, last year he wasn't good even with making it through much of the season. He was better the first half but still had an ERA over 4.00 in the first half alone. To sum it up, Garcia needs to show he can stay healthy this year and hopefully become much more effective again too. That remains to be seen, though both are possible if he stays healthy this year. That's just hard to say given his oft-injured track record in recent years.

"Blair was dinged by a comebacker, but has missed a turn. He's had next to no work against live hitting. Back fields, I agree, do not count."

Blair did leave that start early due to being dinged as you say, but he didn't miss his last start as he started March 9 vs the Yankees going 2.2 innings. Maybe you're thinking of Dickey who Sims replaced the next day? If so, that was just Dickey not showing a division opponent what to expect by facing them back-to-back. He also threw a lot of fastballs against them the first time for the same reason. He won't do either in the regular season. To sum it up, I see no reason to bump Blair to minor league camp now.

"Fried's age and second half -- not to mention his pre-injury prognosis -- all factor in to that note."

I see no reason to rush Fried that way, though I appreciate you being excited about his spring thus far. I am too.

"Collmenter was terrific late last year. He's been strong this spring, and his latest outing came when Blair got hurt, so it was on quick prep. He's just a pro."

This is why he will be our long man, but he's not someone you want in your rotation if you have better options and we do. It's good to have him as an option if we need a spot starter too. However, Collmenter is a journyman and he can be good for a time and very bad too. Hopefully we can continue to get the good Josh this year.

"Acuna, is just me getting on the bandwagon. Look at what the "experts" are saying. He's going to be that good, and Latin guys aren't rushed the same way domestic players are. Imagine was a package of Markakis and Dickey or Colon would possible generate. Not saying it'd be overwhelming, but it would sure be interesting."

OK fair enough. If you have read my recent posts you'll note I have said in the past and this spring that I believe Acuna will be a star in MLB one day. I just don't want to rush him to MLB, esp. after he missed time with injury. That's all.

"Wisler has picked up where he left off last year. Gave up two bombs Sunday. He is in full collapse mode."

I don't disagree with you about Wisler, I understand why many are down on him.

"Teheran requires no explanation. Watched him deal in WBC. He is money."

I don't see why he "must be extended" now when we have him through 2020 (team option for '20 at 12 million)? He's locked up the next four years so outside of maybe adding another option or two his contract is fine IMO.

"O'Flaherty deserves a bullpen spot."

Paco and others should be considered first, EOF sample is too small thus far to decide given his poor track record with both health and terrible pitching in recent years. I'd wait till last week of spring training before I decide who gets the extra lefty spot. Now if Krol is traded (say for a bench piece) as I hope then that's a different story.

"So what's not to be taken seriously?"

I was more saying we shouldn't jump the gun and make too much for good or bad this early on. I also don't see why we need to be saying "Colon or Dickey should be traded soon" before the season even starts. If any of our three veteran starters are traded it likely won't be soon but more likely at the trade deadline or at least closer to it.
    Last edited by Braves1976; 03-12-2017 at 06:49 PM.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    It would be foolish to cut ties with Wisler (because his value couldn't be lower), UNLESS it's a Alex Jackson type trade. Trading from strength and getting like a hitting prospect that needs a change of scenery. Fact is....in a year or so....he could only hope to be a #5 starter compared to the rest of our talented arms up and coming anyway.

I think Blair (if he has found the out pitch), will end up being our #5 for a least a bit.

Think of it this way...the four big pitchers we traded for out of the first round of trades are Folty, Wisler, Blair and Newcomb. Odds say only one would probably make a big league starter. We have one and "probably" two others. That would mean a 75% success rate.

Wisler is a head case. He needs a change of scenery, and I doubt that will help him. Maybe I'm wrong, heck...I HOPE I'm wrong!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Collmenter is a journeyman?? He's been on two teams and has a career MLB ERA around 3.5 with nearly 700 IP mainly as a starter in a hitters park. He was the #1 pitcher on the AZ staff at one time. Because his velocity isn't sexy he's constantly underrated. Dude knows how to pitch and whatever roll he has for us is a steal.
    Last edited by zbhargrove; 03-12-2017 at 09:02 PM.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

buck75 (03-12-2017), UNCBlue012 (03-13-2017)

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    Think of it this way...the four big pitchers we traded for out of the first round of trades are Folty, Wisler, Blair and Newcomb. Odds say only one would probably make a big league starter. We have one and "probably" two others. That would mean a 75% success rate.

Wisler is a head case. He needs a change of scenery, and I doubt that will help him. Maybe I'm wrong, heck...I HOPE I'm wrong!!!
    I think this is a very valid point (at least when i view with optimism. Folty should be a big league pitcher, he was a decent #4 last year and I could become a good #2-3 this year. Based on last year's second half and his last start in Spring, Newcomb looks like he still has a high probablility of becoming at least a #3. Blair and Wisler are still iffy in my mind. Everyone has my hope until they show me poor results and both Wisler and Blair have shown poor results. They can change but I wait and see on them.

If the 1st phase nets 2 - #3 starters, that is pretty good. A 2018 rotation of Teheran, Folty, Newcomb is a pretty good starting point as we look for 1 or 2 of the next group to start showing.

With that as my hope, if the current starters (old ones) show well, getting a high ceiling, low level starter in return would be a coup.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    It would be foolish to cut ties with Wisler (because his value couldn't be lower), UNLESS it's a Alex Jackson type trade. Trading from strength and getting like a hitting prospect that needs a change of scenery. Fact is....in a year or so....he could only hope to be a #5 starter compared to the rest of our talented arms up and coming anyway.

I think Blair (if he has found the out pitch), will end up being our #5 for a least a bit.

If you trade Kimbrel, Simmons, Gattis and Miller in such trades, then you sure want more than one to make it as a big league starter! That isn't to say we didn't already hit a homerun in the Miller trade, but that is because we dealt with Arizona who tried too hard to win last year pushing their window. Plus their old school leadership at the time was more stuck in the past than anyone. The Gattis trade has worked out well for both Atlanta and Houston IMO and Folty has seemingly matured since his health scare and that alone could end up making for a better future for him (sometimes we need a wake up call to get our head on straight). While the Kimbrel and Simmons trade could both end up bad trades (Kimbrel already is a bad trade, while not as terrible as the Wood-Peraza for Olivera trade) unless Newcomb turns into something soon. That said, the Justin Upton trade has a chance of becoming a big homerun if Fried turns into something special (and he may well do so) and it's already a good trade thanks to Jace Peterson, Mallex Smith and Dustin Peterson all doing the best one can hope for (it's just too bad Dustin keeps getting sidetracked by injury including that bus accident a while back).

That said, if I were a betting man I'd bet on Fried, Folty and Blair and not Wisler nor Newcomb. Also, if Fried does strong and Newcomb continues at up and down, then I'd trade Newcomb before his value goes down to what Wisler's must be right now. If not we'll likely end up looking back on the Simmons trade as a total bust IMO. I'd also trade Wisler as soon as I get an offer worth doing so. But we might need him to have a strong first half in the minors to get someone to give up something worth it.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Yes!!!...totally forgot that Fried was in the first round of trades, and since Gohara came from Mallex ....he could also maybe be added(but is younger). Pitching prospects are a crap shoot, but we seem to have set the table nicely by the end of this year.

Teheran
    Folty
    Newcomb
    Fried
    Blair/Sims/Dickey/whoever

That looks pretty solid and doesn't even TOUCH anything past AAA.

We are a year or less from some really interesting times.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Anyone think Acuna is up in September?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Sep of which year?
    Last edited by nsacpi; 03-13-2017 at 08:35 AM.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (03-13-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    I hope not. That'd be pretty shortsighted and foolish.
    Ivermectin Man

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (03-13-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    I just get a strong feeling that Acuna will be up at the very latest opening day 2018. He has looked real good this spring.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

buck75 (03-14-2017)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    I just get a strong feeling that Acuna will be up at the very latest opening day 2018. He has looked real good this spring.
    A month into 2018, yeah. Not staggering Acuna and Albies would be dumb.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Question:

I know we shuffled some pitching coaches around this offseason for the milb clubs.... so who went where and were they previously with us?
    Ivermectin Man