Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: We have one of the worst MLB teams right now

On BBA's Top 100 Prospects List PurpleBrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    110 Posts

We have one of the worst MLB teams right now

Start the season over and This team would lose 100 easily. I'm struggling to see improvement. Our milb guys are rushed, then look terrible when they are called up. ive been posi-brave through the rebuild, but like natural erosion the positivity is weathering away

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Yeah.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    ^^

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Welcome to the dark side

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Let's make it a true rebuild and unload Fred and Julion.
    Forever Fredi

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Fredi View Post
    Too late for that

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    If they are going that route they should probably cut bait with that middle infield duo while they are are it.

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NinersSBChamps View Post
    If they are going that route they should probably cut bait with that middle infield duo while they are are it.
    Yep. They're young and cost controlled for many years. Definitely what teams are looking for.
    Forever Fredi

9. The Following User Says Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-20-2017)

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Bring back Fredi. Give me reason to believe.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

The Chosen One (08-19-2017)

Awaiting a Promotion chipchildress's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts
    Keep the lineup exactly as it is but replace Danny Santana with Ronald Acuna and things are looking a little better.

The big question for me still is starting pitching. They're just going to have to sign a bigger time free agent to help tie things together i'd think. certainly no guarantees on the farm at this point.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    The team looks to be in tank mode. Once the players feel like they are no longer in contention it can cause a malaise on the field. Some teams that lose for a long time have a hard time shaking that malaise off. Once of the most important things JS did when he came in was change the negative culture in the clubhouse. This is why I dont like tanking. Losing should rarely be accepted as no big deal.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cajunrevenge For This Useful Post:

4maddux_cy's (08-19-2017), clvclv (08-19-2017)

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Bring back Fredi. Give me reason to believe.
    If Fredi had this roster compared to the crappy one he was gifted with to start last year, he may have gotten more out of it. We might be in contention for a playoff spot.
    Forever Fredi

Playing the Waiting Game blueagleace1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chipchildress View Post
    Keep the lineup exactly as it is but replace Danny Santana with Ronald Acuna and things are looking a little better.

The big question for me still is starting pitching. They're just going to have to sign a bigger time free agent to help tie things together i'd think. certainly no guarantees on the farm at this point.

Really hope Hernandez is gone after this year.
    "Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    The team looks to be in tank mode. Once the players feel like they are no longer in contention it can cause a malaise on the field. Some teams that lose for a long time have a hard time shaking that malaise off. Once of the most important things JS did when he came in was change the negative culture in the clubhouse. This is why I dont like tanking. Losing should rarely be accepted as no big deal.
    am i crazy or did i just witness the Braves take 2 games from a playoff team?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts
    If Fredi had this roster compared to the crappy one he was gifted with to start last year, he may have gotten more out of it. We might be in contention for a playoff spot.
    lol. did fredi develop a fastball in the last two years?

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    In the California Penis league.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Most began the season saying the Braves looked like a ~75 win team. Annnnnnnd, they still look like 75 wins is about the best they could do.

It's not about what they win this year and really never has been regardless of all the front office speak. While I have serious reservations about the FO, I don't think they are that stupid.

The new park has forced them into providing an entertainment team instead of a professional baseball team, trying to launch the new park with the right number of fans in the seats.

The whole rush the young guys up mentality is likely being driven for the constant need to provide new talking points to keep the crowds interested as opposed to letting outstanding winning baseball take care of itself. It's short sighted and management dumb, but the FO may think it necessary as part of a lesser evil. One has to hope.

The real concern should be about the complete lack of development and translation of the first wave pipeline of pitchers. If the Braves don't trade them away for quick fix needs, the real internal pitching is still 1-3 years away, which means 2018 is going to be a wash out as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Pitchers acquired with varying degrees of hype through rebuilding trades: Folty, Wisler, Blair, Newcomb, Fried, Jenkins, Toussaint, Sanchez, Gant, Whalen, Ellis, Bird, Banuelos. What could "realistically" have been expected of this group in terms of developing starting pitchers. I'd say 2 solid major league starters would have been a realistic projection.

Folty and Newcomb could yet rescue the situation. Plus there is some hope remaining for Toussaint.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    As HH mentions, they're pretty much what was expected. Realistic expectations prior to the start of the season were 75-ish wins with an upside of being around .500 with a chance to back in to the playoffs if a few things went their way. They didn't - Big Sexy and Julio performed far worse than expected, Freeman missed two months in the middle of a career year, Folty hasn't quite taken that next step, too much weight was placed on Swanson's shoulders, etc. - and they're about where you'd expect them to be.

The good thing (for those who aren't complete naysayers) is that several of the moves to take that next step are now much closer to within reach than they were 4 months ago. Offensive production at 3B will be improved in 2018 regardless of which way they decide to go - adding a Moustakas/Frazier/even Cozart as a bridge to Maitan or even bringing back Phillips as a bridge to Riley if you're buying Austin's AA numbers thus far is an obvious upgrade from Adonis at the beginning of 2017. Acuna appears to be as ready as it gets, and will likely provide a serious upgrade to one of the corners as early as Opening Day (but preferably a little later) however the brass attempts to go about unloading one of the veteran OFs and those contracts. Gohara, Wright, Allard, and Soroka are all coming fast, and Touki's made at least most of the adjustments many want to see - and he could be in line to be that serious breakout guy next season.

I know there's still all those who scream that they're going to do something "stupid", but you have to balance those statements with where they're coming from. When they make a blatant mistake that really hurts the franchise long-term, everybody's willing to call them on it - the truth is simply that they haven't yet. Swanson looks much better after they finally sent him down to clear his head. Could calling him up early ultimately cost a few million dollars several years down the road? Sure, but I'll worry about that when it becomes an issue. Same goes for Albies - I don't think they're going to trade him, and I also don't think that few million bucks 4 or 5 years from now is a big issue. At this point, they simply need to lay everything on the table at the organizational meetings going into this offseason and be HONEST about whether the pieces they could land will make them legitimate contenders before 2020.

Does adding a bat like Moustakas and a good rotation piece like a Lynn or Cobb do that? Maybe. Do they really have to trade for a #1 even if it costs Albies? I sure hope not. The simple fact is that I believe in our scouts quite a bit more than I believe in fans posting on message boards - no matter how much knowledge they have of advanced metrics. The Braves have their people in place to present that side of the argument when it's decision-time, and I trust that they'll be given the proper input.

As for the "worst MLB team", I don't think the Braves are really close, but they've still got a good way to go to be "good" - and when and how quickly they get there will likely be completely dependent on the moves made this winter. Are they close to being a playoff team, even as early as 2018? They could be. As far as actually being a "contender" - that's another discussion altogether.
    Last edited by clvclv; 08-19-2017 at 10:49 AM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    OK, so which one of you were howling in that MLBTR chat about your disappointment and expectations for Newcomb?