Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Possible BP trade?

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    It's a limited sample but both UZR and DRS show Phillips has handled 3B better than 2B this year. He is sure handed with the glove and maybe that translates to 3B better at his age since it's obvious he's lost the range he had at 2B in his earlier days.

As far as offense goes. It honestly shouldn't matter what other players are doing at a given position. It's not going to change how Phillips hits. Which is why it's more important to look at the overall package of a player at a particular position and see how that fits in with your team regardless of whether he doesn't hit like a traditional 3B or is your prototypical leadoff hitter, etc. Those don't matter. Putting your best team out there does. Going for the traditional power hitting OF for example is how you get players like Kemp on your team.

With that being said Phillips looks to have rebounded to his ~2 WAR ways and going to 3B has certainly helped that this year. I also find it hard to believe that any combination of Camargo, Ruiz, and Garcia can put up 2 WAR next season. Not saying it's smart to invest in Phillips at market value or it's not smart to "see what we have" in those other guys but it is likely that Phillips provides the most on the field value for whatever that's worth.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

clvclv (09-02-2017), jpx7 (09-02-2017)

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Not the biggest Frazier fan, but his skill set would fit really well on our team.
    Downside to Frazier is age. He wouldn't be around for when we're really good. He probably has 2 years of high production if that. Upside is over the last 4 years he's been one of the 10 best 3B in baseball and is getting paid nothing.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

4. The Following User Says Thank You to zitothebrave For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (09-02-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Downside to Frazier is age. He wouldn't be around for when we're really good. He probably has 2 years of high production if that. Upside is over the last 4 years he's been one of the 10 best 3B in baseball and is getting paid nothing.
    Agreed, he's a perfect stop gap. Ideal 5 or 6 hitter. Just don't wanna see him more than 2-3 years at the most

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    It's a limited sample but both UZR and DRS show Phillips has handled 3B better than 2B this year. He is sure handed with the glove and maybe that translates to 3B better at his age since it's obvious he's lost the range he had at 2B in his earlier days.

As far as offense goes. It honestly shouldn't matter what other players are doing at a given position. It's not going to change how Phillips hits. Which is why it's more important to look at the overall package of a player at a particular position and see how that fits in with your team regardless of whether he doesn't hit like a traditional 3B or is your prototypical leadoff hitter, etc. Those don't matter. Putting your best team out there does. Going for the traditional power hitting OF for example is how you get players like Kemp on your team.

With that being said Phillips looks to have rebounded to his ~2 WAR ways and going to 3B has certainly helped that this year. I also find it hard to believe that any combination of Camargo, Ruiz, and Garcia can put up 2 WAR next season. Not saying it's smart to invest in Phillips at market value or it's not smart to "see what we have" in those other guys but it is likely that Phillips provides the most on the field value for whatever that's worth.
    I'd say Camargo could if he continues to develop more pop. He should also be excellent at 3rd defensively. Still platooning will hurt the WAR. Still think the Ruiz Camargo platoon would easily eclipse BP WAR

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    I'd say Camargo could if he continues to develop more pop. He should also be excellent at 3rd defensively. Still platooning will hurt the WAR. Still think the Ruiz Camargo platoon would easily eclipse BP WAR
    I'd be hard pressed to say a platoon of Camargo/Ruiz could easily eclipse ~2 WAR. If they could then great but I 1) have doubts about their talent to do this and 2) have faith our team would properly utilize that

8. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

clvclv (09-02-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,274 Posts
    I'd be hard pressed to say a platoon of Camargo/Ruiz could easily eclipse ~2 WAR. If they could then great but I 1) have doubts about their talent to do this and 2) have faith our team would properly utilize that
    I agree with point (2). The only platoon I can think of the team has managed well since the rebuild is Suzuki and Flowers.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    I agree with point (2). The only platoon I can think of the team has managed well since the rebuild is Suzuki and Flowers.
    The catching situation has been amazing. That and the BP trade have been the two best moves Coppy has made at the major league level since the Ender/Miller trade

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Do kinda wonder though that if Riley can "keep on keepin' on" whether a Ruiz/Riley platoon might be pretty solid late next season and beyond though.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,274 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Do kinda wonder though that if Riley can "keep on keepin' on" whether a Ruiz/Riley platoon might be pretty solid late next season and beyond though.
    Ask yourself if you would be happy if the Braves traded for players like Ruiz and Riley to fill their 3B hole. I wouldn't.

Riley and Ruiz are fine back up options if your plan A blows up (e.g., I wish we had a Ruiz/Riley type instead of Elliot Johnson), but there is nothing about their minor league history that suggests you plan your future lineup with them in it.

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,270 Posts
    This seems pretty straight-forward to me. Opening Day next year:

3B- Camargo
    SS- Swanson
    2B- Albies

Phillips would be a perfect bench guy/insurance policy if he's down with that role. In no way should we bring back Brandon Phillips to be a starter next year.

If there's some top-notch, controllable third baseman we can acquire in the off-season, then by all means. But go into next season with those three young guys and you've got:

A. Upside
    B. An interesting group of players to watch
    C. A chance to learn about all three, especially Camargo

No need to overthink this.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MadduxFanII For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (09-02-2017), jpx7 (09-02-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    I wonder....

How long will it take the Braves to figure out Camargo is a utility player? 200 more PAs? 600 more PAs? 2 more full seasons?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,274 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I wonder....

How long will it take the Braves to figure out Camargo is a utility player? 200 more PAs? 600 more PAs? 2 more full seasons?
    Hopefully less time than it's taking to realize that Jace isn't a utility player.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    I wonder....

What would you guess his WAR would be with 500 ABS next years?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    What would you guess his WAR would be with 500 ABS next years?
    Less than half of what you think he would produce

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    Ask yourself if you would be happy if the Braves traded for players like Ruiz and Riley to fill their 3B hole. I wouldn't.

Riley and Ruiz are fine back up options if your plan A blows up (e.g., I wish we had a Ruiz/Riley type instead of Elliot Johnson), but there is nothing about their minor league history that suggests you plan your future lineup with them in it.
    As the biggest "sign Moustakas" guy here, that's fairly obvious. Of course, the loudest group around this board would prefer continuing to keep kicking the can down the road.

I understand that, but if you're not a Riley believer, my question is how do you expect to plug the hole over there before Maitan arrives (assuming he does)?

If you assume that Maitan is at least 4 years away, surely you won't be happy if "the answer" at 3B for the next 4 years is Camargo - I like him as much as the next guy, but if you believe he's capable of being an everyday MLB 3B, you're nuts IMO. He's the perfect example of a SSS/high BABIP guy who's never shown more power than Ruiz, and less power than Riley.

I'd even consider a Folty for McMahon or trade for Profar deal before I'd want to try that.
    Last edited by clvclv; 09-02-2017 at 08:42 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    As the biggest "sign Moustakas" guy here, that's fairly obvious. Of course, the loudest group around this board would prefer continuing to keep kicking the can down the road.

I understand that, but if you're not a Riley believer, my question is how do you expect to plug the hole over there before Maitan arrives (assuming he does)?

If you assume that Maitan is at least 4 years away, surely you won't be happy if "the answer" at 3B for the next 4 years is Camargo - I like him as much as the next guy, but if you believe he's capable of being an everyday MLB 3B, you're nuts IMO.

I'd even consider a Folty for McMahon or trade for Profar deal before I'd want to try that.
    i think we will eventually have to go outside the organization for a third baseman...but i don't see this as urgent...i'd be good with going with the internal options next year even though the odds are less than 50% they will turn out to be satisfactory
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    He may or not pan out at the big league level, but I think it's important to note that Austin Riley is only 20 years old. In a perfect world, he would spend all of 2018 in Gwinnett (provided he makes that team out of spring training). He's still a work in progress.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

clvclv (09-03-2017), jpx7 (09-02-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    There will be some FA equivalent to Mous for the Braves to overpay at 3b when they are actually going to be good. Let's wait until then to pay market value for a guy to play 3b, mmkay?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Less than half of what you think he would produce
    OK then I'll go. I think Camargo will be a 2 WAR guy given the opportunity.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    When did we as a fanbase become satisfied with "interesting to watch."

As the man says you "play to win the game."

And to win the game, you have to set yourself up in a position to do so.

The interesting to watch attitude is akin to the lousy recruiting excuses in college football - "give me 11 guys who want to wear the ________ jersey and who love ________." And then everyone sits around wondering why they get buzz sawed.