Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Baseball Think tank

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    The problem with a lot of fans is that they speak in absolutes and most intelligent people ignore people who speak in absolutes.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zitothebrave For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-16-2017), The Chosen One (09-16-2017), thewupk (09-07-2017)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Several years back, JS read some of the boards. He called out one poster calling him an uneducated, shallow baseball thinker. I can't remember the posters name, but it drew a lot of ire as the poster had a PHD and Masters degrees in several areas of Business and Statistics. We had many good to great posters with progressive and baseball fundamentally sound ideas.Does anyone remember the posters name or the episode I remember.

We also had some that made points thru humor. Most famous of which was, "Wes the Wonderhorse, with warning track power, has a beautiful swing and rarely does the ball interfere with it's graceful arc".

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to salmagundy For This Useful Post:

clvclv (09-16-2017), GovClintonTyree (09-16-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JxnMissFan View Post
    The FO probably comes here to scoff. Most of the advanced stats here are posted to prove just a few points. Here's a sample

1. The FO rushes prospects
    2. The FO mismanages service time
    3. The FO inflates radar gun readings to hype prospects
    4. All our pitching prospects only have two pitches and will be bullpen arms
    5. Matt Kemp sucks
    6. Player x has an unsustainable BABIP
    7. HO trade was terrible
    8. Kimberl trade was terrible
    9. Neck signing was dumb
    10. FO doesn't understand computer generated surplus value

Yeah the FO is hanging by thread waiting on what we have to say
    When all that is true, why aren't we supposed to discuss those facts?

I am confident there is a guy in the analytics group who comes up with most of the stuff we do on this board. None of what we discuss here is all that complicated or original.

The question is how much do the good ol boys listen to him? My guess...not very much.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 09-07-2017 at 06:58 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    I think there are several people on this board that would provide value to an organization. Even though I

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    I think there are several people on this board that would provide value to an organization. Even though I
    ...hate to admit it?

FIFY?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    I think there are several people on this board that would provide value to an organization. Even though I would provide the most by far
    Fify

9. The Following User Says Thank You to msstate7 For This Useful Post:

GovClintonTyree (09-16-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    ...hate to admit it?

FIFY?
    Odd. Didn't realize it posted like that. What I wanted to write was even though I don't agree with you always it's clear you are all sharp people.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by salmagundy View Post
    Several years back, JS read some of the boards. He called out one poster calling him an uneducated, shallow baseball thinker. I can't remember the posters name, but it drew a lot of ire as the poster had a PHD and Masters degrees in several areas of Business and Statistics. We had many good to great posters with progressive and baseball fundamentally sound ideas.Does anyone remember the posters name or the episode I remember.

We also had some that made points thru humor. Most famous of which was, "Wes the Wonderhorse, with warning track power, has a beautiful swing and rarely does the ball interfere with it's graceful arc".
    Wow I need to know this!
    Forever Fredi

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,029 Posts

That's some funny **** right there

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts

Was this here, at Scout or another board?

The uneducated part was an emotional reaction, but Schuerholz was probably right about the poster being a shallow baseball thinker. Possessing a PhD only means that there was additional research done and qualifies that person to teach at the college level (of which there is no shortage of overeducated idiots). Area of expertise extends no further that that.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I am aware of one NL team (not the Braves) that has a staffer prepare summaries of discussion board content.
    Don't know about his sons, but Steinbrenner had someone document every word written about himself or the front office. To the extent these kind of boards were around back then, they were included.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts

While I'm sure most organizations pay some level of attention to "everything", they're also aware of how much weight to put on those discussions.

The thought that more than a few folks that post here have or are better equipped to break down than people with access to the same numbers and information is comical.

If you guys think you've found numbers that the Braves - or any other team - haven't at the very least looked into, you're dumber than most posters here.
    Last edited by clvclv; 09-16-2017 at 08:35 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Don't think anyone thinks they have numbers the Braves don't have access to.

The argument is the Braves are making personnel decisions that are counterintuitive to what the stats say. They're either underutilizing those numbers or completely ignoring them at all.
    Forever Fredi

17. The Following User Says Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

clvclv (09-16-2017)

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Fredi View Post

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts

The argument is the Braves are making personnel decisions that are counterintuitive to what the stats say. They're either underutilizing those numbers or completely ignoring them at all.
    No, the typical argument here is that they don't understand them.

Whether they are making decisions based on them is certainly questionable, but assuming the group of assembled geniuses here can interpret those numbers better is hilarious.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post

Whether they are making decisions based on them is certainly questionable, but assuming the group of assembled geniuses here can interpret those numbers better is hilarious.
    Compared to what? Your insightful contributions? You have never, ever, been right. Not a single time. Zero.

Further, Coppy literally said the Swanson promotion was a spur of the moment decision. That's about as "not understanding the numbers" as it gets. Right genius?
    Last edited by Enscheff; 09-16-2017 at 08:56 PM.

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post

We'll never know that.

What we do know is saber friendly teams have followed roughly a common blue print on how they construct teams. And you see teams making certain decisions based on advanced stats.

You see the Cubs whom could afford anyone make smart move like holding down Bryant from the opening day team and then see us rush guys without taking into consideration we are a mid payroll team that needs to maximize years on players. And it's not to say they aren't taking it into consideration but if they're going against the grain of what other successful teams have done just because it's The Braves Way and we have to be renegades then that's very dumb.
    Forever Fredi

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    When Coppy says in a Q&A that he doesn't put as much stock into defensive metrics as others do it's alarming when he acquires Kemp who costs us runs on defense all the time. And if most people think Kemp's offense makes up or cancels out his atrocious defense they're clearly not watching
    Forever Fredi

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    When Coppy says in a Q&A that he doesn't put as much stock into defensive metrics as others do it's alarming when he acquires Kemp who costs us runs on defense all the time. And if most people think Kemp's offense makes up or cancels out his atrocious defense they're clearly not watching
    What we DO know is that if you believe every word that comes out of a figurehead's mouth, you're not particularly intelligent - where's Trump's wall???

The current board "genius" is a blackjack dealer and is someone that's threatened by me, and I'm a real estate nobody. Show me qualifications that make 30 MLB organizations idiotic for not hiring you, and I'd be happy to say they're all idiots for not approaching decisions the way you think they should. You, the blackjack dealer, tons of posters here, and I have opinions, and we're all simply FANS - if you're trolling message boards and don't understand that you're nuts.
    Last edited by clvclv; 09-16-2017 at 09:23 PM.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Is Coppy the only person on the planet who's ever questioned defensive metrics?

Or is he just the one mentioned when you want to make that point?